How's my second computer build?

travicles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
whats wrong with the PSU and whats wrong with a DDR2/DDR3 motherboard?
and i shall take into account the DVD writer thanks

I wish you'd written the names of the parts. Clicking 10 links just to see what you're talking about bites... Oh well, I'll write them for you.

Antec 900 - OK

Rosewill PSU - dump it, get the 750TX instead

ASRock MB - no idea; at that price you can get a GA-EP35-DS3R for example; dual support DDR2/DDR3 is overrated

Q6600 - OK
MSI 8800GT - OK
Acer 22" - OK
Seagate 7200.11 500GB - OK
OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR2-1066 - overkill, unless you OC, but then you need a cooler too
Asus DVD-ROM - not a burner, so why would you buy it. Get a SH-S203B instead.

That RAM has large heat spreaders and may interfere with some coolers.

travicles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
ahh im such a noob.. i liked the motherboard, but i guess its not good apparently. i did see the 750TX PSU and the SH-S203B and am now getting both so thanks =] and i guess i shall get some cheaper RAM since its an overkill?

by the time your ready to use dd3 you'll need to buy a new board anyway. get a good ddr2 based board. Crappy power supplies can quickly kill your pc. go for something like the corsair 650 watt psu if money is tight

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
i dont know that asrock is bad, some of there mbs seem ok its just other stuff is better like gigabyte or abit or dfi, i like the look of there bloodiron mb

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
you can only use one or the other.

you'd be much better off getting 4 more gigs of DDR2 in the futre than 4 gigs total of DDR3
and
Asrock is an economy brand if you want a good OC or long term reliability, I'd look elseware

rosewill is neweggs store brand. in general its just rebadged cheap garbage.

get a PSU by a good company, or if you look for an 80+ efficiency, youre probably getting something at least OK

travicles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
i don't know anything about motherboards so feel free to suggest some and i am getting a corsair 750 watt PSU thats on sale.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
you've got to figure out what you want in a mobo. there are plenty of better boards based on the p35 chipset. Gigsbyte and Abit are good brands. DFI, MSI and Asus come out with some good stuff, and some OK stuff. other brands ocasional come out with a good product, but those 5 are pretty consistant.

decide which basic chipset you'd like (determines most of the features and specs, look at intel's website, I cant recomend nvidia right now) then look at you options on newegg. after narrowing it down further, then good those specific boards to see whats what.

if you look at the millions of "what should I get" posts, that will also narrow down whats good.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
looks like a good board, and I've heard plenty good about it.
its got a $15 combo deal with a q6700. may be worth stepping up from the 6600

Abit customer service has always treated me very well with physical problems. not real thrilled with the Bios support of my latest Abit though. but that one will probably sell better than mine did, so they may think its worth the hassle.

travicles

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
awesome.. okay, but the processor is OEM so now i would need a heatsink i reckon, so looks like i need more help >< sorry lol and thanks at the same time