Sign in with
Your question

SCSI Internal Into External Help

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2009 9:23:12 AM

Hey all. So I recently took out the scsi HD in my old desktop. It stopped working long ago, but I finally got around to opening it up and taking out the old SCSI HD in it. Anyways, I want to get some of the info off of that old drive. I don't have a desktop anymore only a laptop. I wanted a solution to get the info off of that HD. I bought a Ratoc branded SCSI to USB adapter, but just learned it would not work because it would not power the drive. Besides the fact it does not have the 68pin on it anyways.

So what do I need inorder to be able to get the info off of the drive? It's an IBM and I THINK it's an Ultra 2 wide scsi drive. It has a 68 pin female on the back. I also did take out the ribbon cable with the male 68pin with it and it looks in good condition.

Someone told me I could get an enclosure, but I'm not really sure what kind I need. I really just want to get the info off then dump the drive. But any suggestions at this point will be of great help.

More about : scsi internal external

a c 82 G Storage
September 18, 2009 8:21:17 PM

You'll need a 68-pin external enclosure and a 50 to 68 pin adaptor to connect your converter. All that hardware is rather expensive for a single use.

Another much less expensive solution is to simply connect the drive to a system that has a SCSI controller. Most IT people have access to servers that meet that requirement.
m
l
!