• NAS / RAID
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2009 10:07:41 AM

My current configuration:
ABIT IN9 32xMAX
[SATA spec: Nvidia nForce 590 Sli MCP : 6 x SATA 3Gb/s supports Nvidia Mediashield with SATA RAID 0,1,0+1,5, JBOD.]
[eSATA spec: Silicon Image Sil1312 : supports 2 eSATA ports]

SATA 3Gb/s HDDs
1x 320GB HDD [Windows XP Pro SP2]
2x750GB HDDs in RAID 0 [Job folder Data]

Problems:
95% time the OS does not boot fully.
5% time it hangs/blue screens either immediatley on windows startup or after a short period of time [10 to 20 mins].
The HDD is listed in BIOS scan only after clearing CMOS.

Tried the following:
Booting the 320GB HDD on it's own.
The datd can be read by connecting the 320GB HDD to other computers using USB-SATA cable.
A different mobo and the OS on the 320GB HDD boots up fine.

{NB I have not tried to access the RAID 0 during any of the fault finding.}

All of the above leads me to believe that the motherboard is defunct.

Now my problem is to try and find a replacement motherboard for this now obsolete model.

How do I go about moving RAID 0 from one motherboard to another?

PS I now know that RAID 0 is not the best configuration to keep important data on - and will endeavour to transfer it onto separate HDDs asap.

Many thanks in advance.

More about : moving raid mobo

a b G Storage
September 18, 2009 11:25:21 AM

There is no way to transfer RAID from one chipset to another one. Only if you had the same exact motherboard could you do it. I suggest backing up your data (even if you have to get a 2TB backup drive) and starting over with the new board, keep your current setup, or get an identical board to replace it.
September 18, 2009 11:34:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. It's just nice to have someone there in a crisis to say what one is doing is the right thing. I have found a replacement mobo same make and model. Hopefully setting up the RAID 0 on the new ABIT IN9 mobo will be nice and smooth - it arrives tomorrow.
Cheers
!