Sign in with
Your question

Mirror Image a drive ?

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2009 10:44:59 AM

Hi everyone,

Currently im running 1 sata 250GB and have just bought a new seagate baracuda 1.5tb. Now the thought of having to sit down and spend a night re-installing everything again makes me want to cry. Can I, using say Disk Management set the new drive to become a mirror of the 250gb or will the fact of the different drive size cause issue. Then is it simply a matter of removing the 250gb drive, turning on the machine and windows will boot from the new drive or will i have issues ?

or is there even a more straight forward way of doing this ?

thanks everyone

More about : mirror image drive

September 18, 2009 11:33:01 AM

i beleave seagate drives come with tools called diskwizard or if not you can download at seagates site . it has acronis imaging software with it . it can clone your drive to the new one . make sure you do a backup just in case something goes wrong
September 18, 2009 11:39:56 AM

cool thanks !
a c 349 G Storage
September 18, 2009 6:08:50 PM

ronman2 had the right answer - download and use Seagate's Disk Wizard. Here are some useful hints.

1. When you get it, install it on your existing 250 GB drive, then run it from there. This way it will know the full capabilties of your system (including the 48-bit LBA that is required for using drives over 128 GB).
2. Read all the documentation on it - also a downloadable file. The part you are looking for is migrating an existing drive contents to a new drive - chapter 10, I think.
3. When you do the operation, the very first thing to be SURE you get right is to designate the 250 GB old drive as the Source Drive, and the new 1.5 TB as the Destination. Anything on the Destination will be destroyed, which will not matter if the Destination is new and empty.
4. Look carefully through the menus for these items to choose. Start by opting for manual control over Partition size, rather than automatic. This gives you the choice of making your new drive's first Partition (to be your new C: drive) exactly the same as your old one - 250 GB, with Unallocated Space left on the drive to use for creation of other Partitions - or put more of the new drive into the Partition, all the way up to ALL of it.
5. Make this first Partition a Bootable Partition.
6. When it asks for details of the File System to use, I recommend NTFS, suitable for such large drives, unless you have a particular need for FAT32. If you actually need to install a FAT32 File System, that may limit the size of the Partition you can use it on.
7. Check all your settings, then make the clone. It will copy absolutely everything from old to new, adjusting the disk size to whatever you chose.
8. If you chose not to use all of the disk's space in the new C: Partition, you can come back after making that first clone and create another Partition in the remaining Unallocated Space. If you do, it will be treated as a completely different drive with its own name. Make this one NOT bootable, since you will only boot from the first Partition.
9. When you are finished, I recommend you shut down and disconnect the drives. Now re-connect cables so that the new larger drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive was. That way, hopefully, your BIOS will not need to be reset for Boot Priority. My own preference at this point is to disconnect and remove the old drive and store it on a shelf. Run with only the new drive for a while to make sure it's all performing properly. In the meantime as a secure backup you have the old drive untouched on a shelf. When you're sure you are confident in the new system you can consider re-installing the old drive and wiping it clean for re-use as a data storage device. Or you might consider mounting it in an external case and using it as a backup device that can be disconnected for safe storage when not actually in use.
!