Sign in with
Your question

Final review - purchasing later today!

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2008 4:47:34 PM

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone thats helped me with choosing the parts of my first build ever, and I cannot wait to build this. I already am probably going to be blown away by the performance because what I'm running now is just an old compaq from 2003. So, with that said, here's the final parts I have, and after the rebates, it comes out to about 947, which is a great price, so I'm willing to change some stuff around. (BTW, Antec 900 has a $40 rebate, so I'm defiantly getting it now) I just have one question, would it be wise to upgrade to a Nvidia board in case I do want to run SLI in the future? It's on my mind, but I don't really want to do it right now, as I don't see myself playing at really high resolutions. If so, what one should I get, and since I do plan on overclocking the E8400, would it be a good board for that? Anyways, here's the list of components

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Can't wait to order this, and since I'm 50-100 under budget, feel free to make some suggestions to get better performance!
June 2, 2008 5:11:23 PM

because your buying 11 computers, I'd suggest a router.
June 2, 2008 5:22:37 PM

The only suggestion I could make is one that you probably don't wanna hear....wait just a few weeks for those new video cards to come out 4xxx from ATI and whatever the heck nvidia is calling theres......if you're set on SLI then you gotta stick with one of those boards. If not I'd suggest a good intel chipset so you can pop in either an ATI card or an nvidia...the ATIs are expected to perform great for the cost of the upcomming cards...making me wish I didn't have an SLI rig and I'm an Nvidia fan. You might wanna even think about waiting and going the crossfire route. One other benefit of doing this is not only the better card if you wait but intel chipsets overclock much better and you should be ab;e to squeeze a little more outta that 8400. Also you might wanna think about another HDD, you could RAID them to either have a backup of everythign or RAID 0 them for 1 TB of faster disk space....intel chipsets seem to offer much better RAID as well.....but If you must by now the only suggestion I can make is maybe another DVD drive, they are chea[p and having too is great for direct copy or just leaving a frequently played game in the drive....also helps in case one fails...which happens to me a suspiciously high number of times
Related resources
June 2, 2008 5:25:33 PM

Oh, might wanna look at some PC 8000 or 8500 RAM, will let you stay liked 1:1 while you get the most outta that processor, or even if you unlink it it'll still perform better and with the cost of RAM these days (well DDR2 atleast) theres no reason not to get it
June 2, 2008 5:31:23 PM

It all looks very good to me. Here's a trophy for doing such a good job. [:turpit:2]

Way too many blue lights (I'd prefer RC-690, 750TX and some Scythe fans without LEDs), but that's just me. If you don't watch movies on the PC and you don't keep it in the bedroom I guess you'll be fine.

June 2, 2008 5:35:40 PM

Seasniffer said:
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone thats helped me with choosing the parts of my first build ever, and I cannot wait to build this. I already am probably going to be blown away by the performance because what I'm running now is just an old compaq from 2003. So, with that said, here's the final parts I have, and after the rebates, it comes out to about 947, which is a great price, so I'm willing to change some stuff around. (BTW, Antec 900 has a $40 rebate, so I'm defiantly getting it now) I just have one question, would it be wise to upgrade to a Nvidia board in case I do want to run SLI in the future? It's on my mind, but I don't really want to do it right now, as I don't see myself playing at really high resolutions. If so, what one should I get, and since I do plan on overclocking the E8400, would it be a good board for that? Anyways, here's the list of components

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Can't wait to order this, and since I'm 50-100 under budget, feel free to make some suggestions to get better performance!

Replace your current memory with this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, you do not need 11 thermal paste sets for 11 computers. i think 5 is enough.

Just curious, what are you going to do with 11 computers.
June 2, 2008 5:38:39 PM

Seasniffer said:

Perfect :hello: 
I would suggest to change P35 mobo to X48 one unless you have good experience with OC the P35 mobo
Asus Rampage Formula is amazing and DDR2 support
You'll loose SLI but I believe High End graphic card is better performer and less problematic
Second thing change TIM, go for OCZ FreeZe, check these reviews
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://hardwarelogic.com/news/137/ARTICLE/2752/4/2008-0...
Be aware that best application method is X mark

Check this review
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
Best luck
:bounce: 

June 2, 2008 5:41:36 PM

I think I'll go with the Intel board, so I think the one I have chosen will work.
June 2, 2008 5:43:32 PM

Well, he wasn't getting SLI with the DS3L anyway. I like that Rampage Formula, but it adds almost $200 to the bill. Maybe an Abit IP35 Pro, to add FireWire and RAID and eSATA and 8 SATA ports instead of 4? Or at least an upgrade to GA-EP35-DS3R.

Maybe a bigger hard disk, or a second hard disk?
June 2, 2008 5:45:21 PM

and uhh, where are you getting the 11 thing from? I only see 1 of each part when I view the link I gave. O_O
June 2, 2008 5:48:19 PM

LOL, I was wondering about that too :) 
June 2, 2008 5:48:36 PM

look at quantity and total price
June 2, 2008 5:52:41 PM

Subtotal: $1,049.80

Quantity is 1 for me. O_O But since it's not working, I'm just buying one

I'll updated to the OCZ Freeze and GA-EP35-DS3R and just to let you know, this is my first build ever, and I have no overclocking experience. I have a friend who is showing me how to do that and how to do some of the building stuff I don't know how to do. :p 

BTW, you said 8000/8500 RAM, what is that? Could you link me to some cheap, yet good brands?
June 2, 2008 5:57:07 PM

I get a subtotal of 11,547.80 with an 11 under quantity of each item.

I'd also look at a quad core. Now that some games are using 4 cores, more will follow.
June 2, 2008 5:57:09 PM

I see 11 of everything as well.

Subtotal: $10,481.02
June 2, 2008 5:59:09 PM

now some quantities are dropping to 2.
Odd.
June 2, 2008 6:01:41 PM

Just ignore it, I have a quanity of everything as one.

Also, care to explain RAID0, and how hard is it to set up/are there any risks?
June 2, 2008 6:06:07 PM

Raid 0 puts half of each piece of data on each HDD.

I set up mine pretty easy

risks:
if 1 goes bad you loose all data
if you try to move the drive to a different macine, you loose all data
my 2x 320 raid got so full of data, I had to buy a 750 gig to back it up.
June 2, 2008 6:18:20 PM

So, what do you need for raid 0, just two hard drives?
June 2, 2008 6:25:02 PM

^ what he said is right...just wanna make sure you know the plus of using RAID 0...since the data is split between the two drives they each have to write or read half as much data and since they can do this at the same time it makes it go much quicker.

Heres some PC8500 ram (1066MHz) notice theres a rebate on these...also im sure you can find cheaper models....I'm at work so i'm not gonna hut around :) 

Heres one more set

they aren't much more and are a better spec and better version made by same manufacturer as what you have picked out....how can you go wrong?

I haven't actually checked that board to make sure it works with those RAM sets but thats about a 99.99% sure thing
June 2, 2008 6:29:34 PM

Oh and I noticed you said this is your first build and haven't done a lot of overclocking before....don't let this hold you back from OCing this proc...... there's all sorts of power in there that is free to get before you come close to heating the chip up or having to mess with voltages.... on my media server I OCed my 6750, which is a worse overclocker, from 2.8 GHZ to 3.4 without having to mess with anything at all.
June 2, 2008 6:32:09 PM

Motherboard says this for RAM

DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066
June 2, 2008 6:36:11 PM

then i strongly suggest you think about one of those 2 i listed...or any others if someone has a suggestion. Personally i like OCZ memory and I see you were already going with ti so the OCZ reapers might be a good choice.....they can with some MASSIVE HSF cause clearence issues if you wanna use all 4 RAM slots but I don't think that'll be a problem with yours HSF
June 2, 2008 6:43:17 PM

I used the OCZ you linked me too, anyways, I should be ordering this later on in a hour or two, so let me know if theres anything I should change. As for RAID 0, I don't think I'll need it, so I'll save the cash. :p 
June 2, 2008 6:43:47 PM

Not too bad a build, but there are some things I'd change. Most of them are personal preference though.

Motherboards tend to do nasty things with their RAM specs. My EVGA 780i board wouldn't work properly with my 1066 memory until the third edition BIOS update. It was apparently an update that allowed the higher speeds to run stable, a feature they listed in the specs when I bought the board.

Honestly, I'd go 2x2gb DDR2 800 and spend the cash other places.
June 2, 2008 6:58:30 PM

resonance451 said:
Honestly, I'd go 2x2gb DDR2 800 and spend the cash other places.

I'm a novice at this, and currently researching a build of my own... but wouldn't you need 1000 or 1066 RAM if you want to OC, at some point, above 3.6 GHz? Seems to me a good reason to spend some more on it, even if you have no plans to OC initially...
June 2, 2008 7:12:28 PM

Yeah and since 1066 seems to only be 20-40 dollars more than 800 your not gonna find anywhere to spend that money in a better way
June 2, 2008 7:28:42 PM

Quote from a newegg review of the DS3R:
Quote:

Pros: I've now had this board running for over 3 months and I couldn't be happier. The first one I received had issues that prevented me from overclocking my E8400 but his one has been great. I've had my E8400 running at 3.6Ghz and my Corsair Dominator DDR2 1006 OC to 1200 for the last three months without a single problem or blue screen. I've even ran Prime95 for 3 days straight and my system passed every test. So if you don't need PCI-E 2.0 or are planning on running SLI like I did, this is the board to get.

Cons: Becareful with the Bios update, it was the beta version that messed up my first board by not allowing me to switch off the Energy Saver feature.

Other Thoughts: E8400 @ 3.6GHz, GA-EP35-DS3R, Seagate 250GB HD with 32MB Cache, Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 OC to 1200, Zerotherm Nirvana Cooler, Antec Sonata III case with 500W PS, 8800GTS.
June 2, 2008 11:53:30 PM

eVGA offer the step up program to the newer cards when they come out, justifie the price for me. :) 
June 3, 2008 12:58:34 AM

Going to order in a half an hour, any last changes?
June 3, 2008 1:08:49 AM

Sea sniffer 4 GB or ram is a waste buy a 2GB kit, there is no performance hit if you are gaming. Also buy the Corsair TX750 watt power supply. OCZ power supplies are cheaply built and the Corsair one will have no problem running 2 cards in SLI. It has 60amps on a single rail
June 3, 2008 1:56:07 AM

teamlosigp said:
Sea sniffer 4 GB or ram is a waste buy a 2GB kit, there is no performance hit if you are gaming. Also buy the Corsair TX750 watt power supply. OCZ power supplies are cheaply built and the Corsair one will have no problem running 2 cards in SLI. It has 60amps on a single rail

are you out of your mind?
June 3, 2008 2:16:47 AM

That 650TX is not certified by nVidia for 8800GTS SLI (http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html). The GameXStream 700W and the Corsair 750TX are. Normally I'd prefer the 750TX, but the GameXStream is pretty cheap at newegg now. Get the GameXStream 700W.

How much RAM you need depends on the OS (more for Vista than XP), the game, the settings (e.g. how many players in the game etc.). It's hard to say. Get 4 GB if you can afford it.

June 3, 2008 1:30:17 PM

Not bad at all.

No clue about that thermal paste. Maybe others can tell us if it's good.

That Antec BP550 PSU is not bad, but $100 for it is a bit much IMO. $131 buys you a Silencer 750W these days at newegg, for example, or $90 buys you a Corsair 650TX, or $120 for a 750TX or a Silencer 610W. Anyway, it's a good build.
June 3, 2008 3:24:17 PM

Yeah, I figured I'd go with that board cause my monitor is going to be 19-20 inches, so I don't need uber high resolutions, and well, that makes SLI useless for me pretty much. Plus the other being a Nvidia board, I have no idea how it would run ATI cards. I'm sure it can run just one fine though. (i know it can't run 2) I was wondering, are there any sub $170 crossfire x boards?
June 3, 2008 4:19:34 PM

Good choice. That's what I went with in my gaming rig.
June 3, 2008 4:24:45 PM

You're getting an nVidia card, so getting a Crossfire MB won't really add any value. OK, maybe if you think you'll sell the 8800GTS and buy two ATI cards instead.

Currently you can do Crossfire on P35 (not so well, because one slot works at only 4x), x38 (e.g. GA-EX38-DS4, $207), x48 (e.g. GA-X48-DS4, $244 after shipping). You could buy the GA-EX38-DS4, I guess. Compared to the GA-P35-DS3L it's $110 more. For your $110 you get additional features like Crossfire, better overclocking (fsb 1600MHz), 2 PCI slots instead of 3 (yeah, the cheaper DS3L actually has more PCI slots), RAID, 6 SATA ports instead of 4, FireWire, eSATA, 2 more SATA cables. You decide if all that is worth $110 more to you.

Edit: get yourself a 22" monitor. Same resolution as 20", very similar prices, and you can sit further back. OK, if you're young and have good eyes a 20" would be just as good, I guess. I wouldn't buy a 19" monitor any more - the resolution is smaller and it's less fun.

June 3, 2008 6:39:26 PM

Well, it's ordered. Thanks for the help, and I seriously hope everything comes together good with minimal problems. I'm kinda scared, as if anything breaks i'm pretty much screwed.
June 3, 2008 7:30:52 PM

The parts you ordered are all good, and compatible. If any of them arrives dead, Newegg will help you much more than other retailers.

Try to find somebody who has built before, and let him/her apply the thermal paste for example. Or at least look on the web, plenty of tutorials with pictures.

You do know about electrostatic discharges, right? Before you touch the RAM for example, touch the case to remove any static charges from your hand. And of course the obvious, don't touch the circuits, only the edges, etc.

There's a guy called Scott Mueller who writes a great book (new edition almost every year) about building and upgrading and repairing PCs. It comes with tutorials on DVD. You could invest $30 or whatever in it.

Good luck!!!
June 3, 2008 7:49:05 PM

I have a friend who has been building for 3 years, he's going to show me everything that I don't know and is going to show me how to overclock, because that E8400 is screaming for a higher speed. :) 
!