Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt or Alienware?

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2008 5:11:54 PM

I'm considering going with an Alienware machine this time instead of building my own. Anyone here have any experiences to share regarding Alienware PCs? I would have posted this in the Systems section but there was no sub-section for Alienware.

Thanks.

More about : homebuilt alienware

June 2, 2008 5:20:06 PM

why pay the Alien premium?

they look to be good systems, but I bet you could buy all the individual components that alienware uses youself for less.
June 2, 2008 5:23:55 PM

johnnymac13 said:
I'm considering going with an Alienware machine this time instead of building my own. Anyone here have any experiences to share regarding Alienware PCs? I would have posted this in the Systems section but there was no sub-section for Alienware.

Thanks.

Homebuilt.
Related resources
June 2, 2008 5:29:13 PM

it'll cost you less than half if you do it yourself....I don't know about you but 1500 dollars isn't worth it to me for a warranty
June 2, 2008 5:36:01 PM

If you really don’t want to build im sure there is a local store where you can choose the parts and have them build it... save 500-1500 + get a warranty.

Here in Edmonton we have two such shops which i would trust if i was going to go that route. This way you pick everything and they spend the time building and making sure it runs.

This is my rankings for what to do..

1) Build = your own (only way to go, its easy money saved)
2) Go to local shop and get one built for you. = a little lazy but could do yourself
3) Buy from a vendor like dell/alien = partially retarded
4) Bestbuy = you are a complete tard, bordering insane.
June 2, 2008 5:50:37 PM

grieve said:
If you really don’t want to build im sure there is a local store where you can choose the parts and have them build it... save 500-1500 + get a warranty.

Here in Edmonton we have two such shops which i would trust if i was going to go that route. This way you pick everything and they spend the time building and making sure it runs.

This is my rankings for what to do..

1) Build = your own (only way to go, its easy money saved)
2) Go to local shop and get one built for you. = a little lazy but could do yourself
3) Buy from a vendor like dell/alien = partially retarded
4) Bestbuy = you are a complete tard, bordering insane.

Looks about right. Only thing I'd consider at Bustbuy would be a Gateway P-6860FX because you can't get them anywhere else.
June 2, 2008 6:01:22 PM

I wouldnt say BestBuy= tard decision to buy.

As long as you know what you are looking at when you buy a pc at best buy you can find a great deal. Here is my scenario for you.

Was going to purchase my parts for a homebuilt system mainly coming from newegg but Guess What..... I live in hawaii do you know how much shipping is to hawaii? Well with that being said I went to best buy to see what other options there may be. My criteria was a pc under $900 and gave me ability of expansion later on. Also seeing how the new GPU's are coming out this month(or next) I was not willing to spend a lot on a graphics cards when the prices are more than likely bout to drop. Well long story short I picked up an HP with a q6600 cpu 750g hard drive, 8500gt 512mg video card, lightscripe dual drives, 64 bit vers of vista premium, 4g of ram, and too many damn accessories like remotes, wireless thing (guess what a asus board). Well I got the HP for 899 bucks in total so I dont think I did too bad at BestBuy.
June 2, 2008 6:01:46 PM

Homebuilt... Would you rather spend $3000 on an gaming machine, or $1500 for a homebuilt gaming machine? You could build a nice gaming machine for under $1000 if you do it right.
June 2, 2008 6:08:07 PM

If you have more cash than time it is not a bad deal. Alienware handles all of the component compatibility research, building, and warranty work which will save you a lot of time.

If you have the time and interest in learning how to build a gaming computer (you'll find all of that info on this site) then you can save a heap of cash by building it yourself.
June 2, 2008 6:20:20 PM

There are only 3 reasons to buy a built gaming computer:

1. You've never built/assembled a PC
2. None of your close friends/relatives are experienced at building/servicing computers
3. You don't know/trust any place in your area to assemble parts (which many computer stores do for a flat fee)

If all of these apply to you, you would be stupid NOT to buy pre-built (read: not Alienware).

If < 3 of these statements apply to you, then you'd be better served to buy from newegg (or the like) and assemble yourself (relatively speaking). I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone of THF who disagrees with this.
June 2, 2008 7:48:53 PM

johnnymac13 said:

Thanks.

You have 3 choices
1- Homebuilt
2- Built at home
3- Build it yourself
Aside from saving money
by the reviews you'll make and understanding your mobo manualyou'll have
exciting experience in computers You'll not be anymore looking at your PC as a mjic box afraid to touch
after you assemble all parts, connect all wires and fix all screwswith your own hands
You'll be able to upgrade any part easilly in future

June 2, 2008 8:30:08 PM

I don’t think i have ever in my life seen a prebuilt system that had all the components i like.... there is always something i want to replace or simply add to the machine.

If you spend top dollar at Alienware you’ll get a killer machine, but i can guarantee the $6000 alien can be built by me at home in under $4000, ALSO my machine will have the best brand parts.

You fry the MB on an Alien or Dell you’re lookin at $400 for a replacement even if it is 4 years old.

**I hate to be soo one sided but I just cant imagine buying a prebuilt machine again. (of course I have, long ago)

Build one, %100.

One last reason not to buy Alien (dell)
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=...
New York court finds Dell guilty of fraud
June 3, 2008 6:12:18 PM

buy your parts from ncix.com, once you pick out your parts you can pay an extra $50 and one of their experts will build it for you. Heres the link:

http://www.ncix.com/

By the way, to get them to build the PC for you, just pick out all your parts and add them to your shopping cart, then if you picked out all the proper parts you should see a prompt at the bottom of the shopping cart page that asks if you want to have an expert build it for you.

Hope this helps.
June 3, 2008 7:23:10 PM

I ordered my Xeon E3110 from NCIX (us) and would definitely order from them again. The shipping was fairly expensive since they ship from Canada but they shipped it immediately and I had it next day.

P.S. If I had to buy pre-built I'd probably go FalconNW over Alienware, but I still think both are ripoffs.
June 3, 2008 7:27:56 PM

I ordered all my water gear from NCIX.. they are very good. I will always shop from them now if i cant get what i want locally
June 3, 2008 7:28:01 PM

i think those people who ask this kind of question is abit stupid.since everyone here build their own PC so the anwer they get is pretty obvious.

POWER TO HOME BUILT!!!!
June 3, 2008 8:08:16 PM

actually I wanted to put this thread in the Systems forum but there was no sub-catagory for "other" or "alienware"....I figured people who built their own machines may be more familiar with Alienware and was just curious of individual experience with them in terms of customer service, quality, etc....I've decided to just build my own again so really its a dead topic now anyway :lol: 
June 3, 2008 8:13:28 PM

Good decision!
June 3, 2008 8:37:19 PM

sorry to use the word stupid but i cant think of any other word to describe such behavior.any ideas anyone?
June 3, 2008 8:41:12 PM

iluvgillgill said:
i think those people who ask this kind of question is abit stupid.since everyone here build their own PC so the anwer they get is pretty obvious.

POWER TO HOME BUILT!!!!

or

they just want some reassurance that if help is needed there will be people here willing to help. Answers do not have to match the question.

For what it's worth, I didn't even know home built was an option until a couple of months before building my comp. I would never have considered doing it had I not read these forums and been fairly confident that any issues or questions I had could be addressed here painlessly.
June 3, 2008 8:57:22 PM

but he clearly know home built is an option to him.if you had read his title.
June 3, 2008 10:02:14 PM

but dont u love alienware's pricing 100% markup all the way
June 3, 2008 10:42:24 PM

yeah its a good way to waste our money on!lol
!