Sign in with
Your question

Harddrive size

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2009 6:45:31 PM

What is the max size hard-drive that the ecs gf7050vt-m will accept?

More about : harddrive size

a c 415 G Storage
September 18, 2009 9:56:49 PM

Any SATA hard drive you can buy today should work just fine with the motherboard. It's the OS which may have problems accessing all the space on the drive if it's too old (ie, XP before SP1).
September 18, 2009 11:55:58 PM

It is reading the 320gb as being 739,644,456,821. Something is telling me something is not being read correctly and I thought it might be the mb. The 320 is external and plugged into a new hard-drive case that is usb.
Related resources
September 19, 2009 2:21:35 AM

Sorry wrong numbers 739,644,821 or 702mb. Great memory duh.
a c 415 G Storage
September 19, 2009 3:34:15 AM

peyton94 said:
Sorry wrong numbers 739,644,821 or 702mb. Great memory duh.
Are you sure that you're not seeing the drive's sector count? Each sector is 512 bytes, and the number you're quoting there would be pretty close for a 320GB drive...
September 22, 2009 2:14:16 AM

It reads 702mb of free space and 0 bytes used when I go to properties.
a c 415 G Storage
September 22, 2009 3:46:31 AM

Well 702MB of "free space" could just mean that most of the disk is filled up with files. What does the "capacity" figure say?
September 22, 2009 5:59:30 PM

That's just it. It is a new drive and I have yet to put anything on it. I have xp sp3 so that shouldn't be it. It should be reading 320 gb of free space.
a c 415 G Storage
September 22, 2009 7:52:43 PM

Are you just looking at the disk size in Explorer? It may be that the disk has only a relatively small partition on it. Try looking at the disk using Disk Management as follows:

* Sign on to an account with administrative rights
* Right-click the "My Computer" icon and select "Manage"
* Navigate to the "Storage -> Disk Management" item in the left pane and click to select it
* Look in the lower-right pane and scroll down if necessary until you see your drive. The total size should be listed at the left end of the partition map.
September 22, 2009 9:54:19 PM

Why does explorer not show the correct number? Disk management says 298gb. I want to sincerely thank you for all your help.
a c 415 G Storage
September 22, 2009 11:55:53 PM

peyton94 said:
Why does explorer not show the correct number? Disk management says 298gb. I want to sincerely thank you for all your help.
In Disk Management's partition diagram for this disk, is the entire "bar" filled with one big partition, or is there just a little partition with lots of free space? If there's a little partition, that will be that Explorer is seeing. You can try to extend it or you can create a second, much larger partition to use up the extra space - if you do the latter then it will show up as a new "drive letter" in Explorer.
September 23, 2009 1:01:34 AM

Where will I be able to format the drive and also get as much as possible space. I can't quite figure out where the other 22 gb would be.
a c 415 G Storage
September 23, 2009 8:32:21 AM

You've confused me with "I can't figure out where the other 22GB would be".

You said that it's a 320GB drive but Explorer shows only 702MB (ie, less than 1GB). I would expect you to be wondering where the other 319GB would be....?

I'm basing the following on the assumption that you have a small partition on the drive, although without actually seeing what you're seeing in the disk management utility and given what seems to be an inconsistency in the sizes you're mentioning I'm not terribly confident that this is actually the case...

You said this is an external drive, so I assume that it's not the OS drive. Therefore you should be able to re-partition and re-format it from within the Disk Management utility, as long as there are no files open on it. But save all the data on it first by copying it to some other drive, since partitioning the drive will wipe out all the data on it.

First, right-click on the existing partition and delete it. Make sure you do this on the correct disk! That should leave the entire drive unparititioned. Right-click on it again and create a partition. The default size should span the entire disk. Choose the option to format the partition using NTFS with the default values and you should be set.

If you've got any doubts about this then you should probably find a tech-savvy friend to give you a hand...
September 23, 2009 7:00:03 PM

I'm sorry I confused ya.
Starting over on the explanation:
I bought a 320gb sata drive to use as a backup to my system.
When I went into windows explorer to make sure the drive was there I also checked with its properties. The properties read that the drive was only a 702 mb drive, which would indicate that 319 gb would be missing.
I did what you told me to do and found out that the device manager says that the drive is a 298gb drive which indicates that something is taking up 22gb on a new unused drive. I was wondering what was using 22gb.
a c 415 G Storage
September 23, 2009 9:57:21 PM

The difference is probably due to the difference between binary GB (1024^4) and decimal GB (1000^4). Drive makers quote capacity in decimal because it gives a bigger number, Microsoft products report capacity in binary because... well I don't really know why. I've been a computer nerd for a long, long time and I see no reason to quote drive capacities using powers of 2. Considering Microsoft claims to want to make it's products easy to use this practice just seems unnecessarily confusing to me...
!