Q9300 ^ Biostar TPOWER I45

optiprimo

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Folks - noticing weird temp readings. Here are my current settings:

vcore 1.304 (3.7Ghz :D )
vram 2.80 (4bg ocz ddr2 1066 ram @ 998mhz)
fsb + .400v (494fsb :eek: - amazing mobo this biostar tpower i45)
vchipset .42v
+5v 5.51v
+12v 11.79b
vcc3v 3.33v
xigmatek s1283 w/ Antec Formula 5 silver compound
Cooler Master HAF with small 120mm rear fan to create positive pressure airflow

In anycase, I use cpu-z, realtemp, coretemp and speedfan just to see all readings across the board. Here's what I'm averaging:

Idle
core 1: 44
core 2: 42
core 3: 40
core 4: 40

Load (prime 95 small ffts for a few hours)
core 1: 68
core 2: 68
core 3: 65
core 4: 65

I'm getting similar readings from all the apps, so I think it's pretty accurate. The mobo shows a cpu temp of 30-35C on idle (and 54C on load).

The temps are a little high, but for the 3.7ghz it's still ok imho (using xigmatek s1283).

Here are my questions:

1) I don't know if tjmax for this cpu is 85-95C or should I just focus on staying below intel's thermal design of 71.4C

2) noticed that with speed step (spread spectrum - is that different?) on, the vcore is actually higher idle (1.304) vs load (1.280)

3) with these temps, should I go with a Tuniq or Zalman 97/9900 and Artic Silver? Would I see enough improvements to warranty the cost?

4) could I see better temps if I changed the case to something that will generate better airflow? The HAF is riddled with holes/grills - no "seal" to create strong airflow. I like the large fans because the are very quite given the cfm

5) if you have this mobo and use speedfan, which temp reading is my nb?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any guidance I can get. I am somewhat of a noob to this, so excuse my stupid questions.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

I hope that's a typo...

Cooler Master HAF with small 120mm rear fan to create positive pressure airflow
Rear fan should be exhaust. Negative pressure will give slightly better temps.

1) Your temps are about as high as I would go. Maybe back off to 3.6GHz, you won't notice any difference.

2) Speed Step & Spread Spectrum should both be disabled for OCing.

3) Your HSF is as good as those.

4) It won't get much better; HAF stands for High Air Flow.

optiprimox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, that was a typo - thanks for pointing it out. It's actually at 2.2v.

I was wondering if airflow will be improved with more traditional cases where the sides and top are "sealed" more w/o the holes/grills of the haf... I know the HAF allows more air to enter into the case, but I'm wondering if all that access is reducing the directional flow of the air (ie from front, through cpu hsf and out the back).

Not many postings to my questions - either I am way off mark with my idiotic questions or there really isn't much else I can do with my current project... except go to liquid. Wonder if I can get 4.2 with a q9300 on liquid (seeing how the mobo can go up to 600fsb with e8600)...

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Your FSB is already quite high for a quad core, it's very unlikely you'll get anywhere near 600.

Are you using a backplate on your HSF, or pushpins? A backplate may give a slight improvement, as well as different paste such as OCZ Freeze or IC Diamond 7. A TRUE would be a better cooler if you want to upgrade.

You could temporarily cover the holes, to see if it makes a difference in temps.

optiprimox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
hahaha - you're probably right about the fsb - wishful thinking.

I'm using the stock push-pins - didn't know I can get a backplate kit for the s1283.

that's a good idea - nice little experiment for me this weekend =) going to get me a big roll of duck tape... we'll see how it goes...

also - maybe I should replace the stock 120mm fan that came with the xigmatek - maybe one designed for more cfm...?

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Higher CFM fan would probably help a bit.

It's duct tape, but there is actually a brand called Duck. :)