What size partitions would work best

toe jam

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi, would anyone have a suggestion on how to properly partition this drive. I have a 500 Gb hard drive. I want to install XP home edition as the operating system. How small can I make the primary partition for this operating system and be fairly safe downloading future OS updates. From what I've read this is where the system maintenance is needed most and to defrag a large volume takes time. I have other programs, like for my printer and games and music videos that I would like to install too, but on a different partition Thanks in advance for any help, Ed :pt1cable:

Heres what i usually do:

50 go for windows
100 for programs
rest for data (350 go)

I install small programs like anti-virus adobe reader, antispy with windows part
Bigger programs like office, webexpert, games on program partition (sise could be bigger if have lots of games and big programs

(to be safe you could do 100 /100 / 300)

hope it gives you insight

ronman2

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

i have xp home sp 3 fully updated . i use a 10 gb partition for xp it takes up about 4.25 gigs . i have other apps and programs that are on other partitions . they also and a folder to the xp partition sometimes but they dont take up much room .

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Yes, so the benefits of having data on a different one are obvious. About the programs.. you are somehow right, but think that you could re-install the apps on the same places (to create these OS files and registry keys), and preserve all the program data you had, which is also some kind of benefit, from my point of view. Despite there are many programs that work without those "OS files&registry keys", you just exec them.. those would also remain untouched.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Thats a very good point about the data, reinstalling the app is easy but since data is preserved, very good point. I would have to agree with you, i might try this on my system which i am getting soon, but i am too lazy to do anything right now :)

ronman2

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
If you use an imaging program after you install your apps it will image every thing on the C drive including your start - programs menu - so your apps links will still work . You dont have to reinstall all your apps . Even if they are on other patitions . You just wipe the C drive - format and use your imaging app to reimage . Everything should work like before .