Overclocking problem

max05

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Ok so i have this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128079

and an E6320 Intel core 2 duo

nomatter how much i try i cannot overclock past 2.45 GHz. i've tried everything. raising the cpu voltage,lowering the memory ratio...nothing.i think i've just got a bad cpu because the reviews people have been leaving for the motherboard say that they can get pretty good overlocks.Should I get a new cpu thats already at 3GHz or get another motherboard?

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
i heard that these nvidia boards not that easy to deal with. (i have no experience with them myself)

did you refer to the overclocking guide written by gray? it is pinned/sticked. it should really help you.

if you try to tell us what did you exactly do, it might be more helpful.

As amdfangirl states, make sure you first have the latest BIOS. Then drop your RAM to a 1:1 mulit raise your north bridge voltage a few notches and set your CPU voltage to 1.5V for now. In order to reach 2.6Ghz, you must have your FSB at 371Mhz. This is only a 21Mhz boost over where it is now so, with enough voltage, you should be able to make it.

What is your cooling setup? Another limiting factor could be poor case ventilation and an improperly mounted stock Hs. What kinds of temps are you looking at? Also, what is your PSU and what other components is it driving. Overclocking dramatically raises your power requirements. Possibly to high for a value line PSU to handle.

If all else fails, keep in mind you are running with very low end parts. While your CPU *should* be able to push past 3Ghz, your Mb is an older generation value piece that is only officially rated at 1066FSB. You should consider your self lucky that you were able to push a 31.6% Oc out of it.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
The reason you can't get past 2.45 is that your motherboard isn't designed for overclocking so has a very low FSB ceiling, which you're probably hitting when you're at 2.45ghz due to the very low clock multiplier of the E6320.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
It could be anything, keep percerviering, basically if you overvolt something and still crash go back and overvolt something else. No way can anyone give you accurate settings unless they run a similar or same setup themselves. What you need to try and asertain is WHY it crashes when it does, I always run core temp when I load the cpu because heat means resistance and even if it's not the cpu shutting off, you can guesstimate what it may be. Don't give up, do a search and see what other people are reaching, don't worry I hit a plato at 3.8Ghz with my QX9650, now it's at 4.3Ghz and still not about to cook the mobo.