GPUs scaling into supercomputers' territory: Hydra

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GPU-Hydra-LucidLogix,5904.html

We have little doubt at this point that GPU-based stream computing will have its place in future PCs. One more indication that we may not yet fully understand what GPUs may be capable of is a new technology called Hydra. Created by LucidLogix, Hydra delivers a hardware-software interface that can run a number of graphics cardsVideo card - not just two or four - within one system. The benefit, of course may not be increased graphics performance, as most current games have trouble to scale even beyond two graphics chips. The benefit could be to scale the GPGPU performance deep into supercomputer territory. If you have the necessary power supply, the 5 or 10 TFlops could be within reach.

According to LucidLogix, Hydra combines a system-on-chip with proprietary softwarehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software technologies that load-balance graphics processing tasks. The company promises "near-linear to above-linear performance with two, three or more graphics cards".

"We’re currently focusing our Hydra engine on improving everyday PC performance, but our vision is to bring more scalability, flexibility and power to all visual processing markets including graphics professionals, power gamers, design/engineering professionals and others," said Offir Remez, LucidLogix co-founder and president. "

Despite GPU scaling issues in current games, LucidLogix claims that it has been able to speed up games such as Crysis, Unreal and Bioshock by 85-95%.

An amazing article by Tom's. Worth reading.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I am very interested to learn more about how this works. The fact that it benefits GPGPU applications and scales with any number of GPUs (within reason I suppose) suggests that it is splitting the workload up on a lower level than SLI and Crossfire do. Going to check out their website..

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
From the LucidLogix website (bold and underline added for emphasis):
We've developed a software-agnostic, real time distributed processing engine, HYDRA, which will allow GPUs from any vendor to work together more efficiently.
This could be huge. I hope they aren't BSing...

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
This would effectively mean an independent crowd has seen what AMD, Nvidia and Intel missed?

Especially AMD with the 3870x2 and 4870x2.

Dubious... very very dubious.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Ive read it also. Seems too fast.

Amd, Intel, Nvidia...everybody missed it. Thats what is really strange. Really. Just doesnt add up.
Might be wrong, IT business can be quite crazy sometimes.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Quite interesting. However, I can smell lawsuits and patent laws creeping up on this kind of endeavor at some point; especially since they are incorporating performance on another vendor's product and it's (apparently direct) involvement with a competitor product outside their intended means. (ATI+nVidia outside of an agreement)

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
I'm not sure about that. It looks like Intel has bought it, so, you know... It's Intel. They "can" get away with it (supposing they ever release the product).

(EDIT: Well, it looks like Intel has some shares, but hasn't bought the company)