Best gaming card?

sticks51412

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I am looking to build a new system within the next few months (I know stuff changes) right now what is the best SLI gaming video card configuration? Cost is not an issue.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Might as well wait for the 4870 ATI to drop by the end of the month. Also, don't wait to long on the whole system because of Nehalm and AM3 coming out early next year. If I had to get one right now, I say go with the 4850.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Even if cost isn't an issue, two 4850's in CF make more sense than a single GTX280. Waiting for the 4870 might be the best option since it should meet or exceed the GTX260 (at the very least) for less money. But since the OP said the best SLI configuration at the moment, I guess that's the GTX280...although if I were going SLI, I'd SLI to 8800GTS' or just buy a 9800GX2.

NarwhaleAu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
2x GXT280

However, 2x GXT260 should get you pretty close for a fair bit less, while 2x 4870 is going to be best high end bang for the buck I expect.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

Ah, this is the proto-typical question, the pecking of the beak against the shell...so much potential, money being no object, but not ready to break out of your shell by buying the rig now. Never now.

1) Prices and products and availability change daily. So you will have gained nothing by knowing today's prices.

2) You drop the SLI bomb, yet know nothing about it and all it entails. There are alternatives, better ones even.

3) What games do you envision yourself playing? If you're a flight simmer your rig needs to be different than if you play WOW or Counter Strike.

You want my advice Mr. More Money Than Sense? Buy a premade boutique gaming PC at your lofty budget, you won't be disappointed.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
^ i don't think u gotta flame him. he's just saying cost isn't an issue, most of us here work/earn our money somehow but maybe he's just lucky to not have that issue to deal with.

anyways, he's just asking a question.

imo, just wait it out till the 4870's come out, and make your decision then, or read up on more posts in the forum at that time.

You simply take the the most expensive Nvidia card and -pay attention now so you don't get lost here, then you buy 2 of them. You plug them into a good motherboard with a Quad core overclocked to around 3.5 / 4 Ghz.
If money is no object, heck then buy 3 of them.
Of all the stupid.......... :sarcastic:

sticks51412

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

What make you think I know nothign SLI? Perhaps I chose SLI cause of the board I want to run or perhaps I like it better nothing in my OP says anything about why I chose SLI it simply says I want to run it.

It shouldn't matter what games I play I asked a simple question which deserves a simple answer who are you to tell me what I can afford or anything. The simple fact is I asked what the best card is and thats all I care.

I will not buy some stupid premade boutique machine I have never done this and I refuse to. At my "Lofty" budget I could build a much higher machine than buy one. So next time answer the damn question and don't worry about the finances or anything else the question doesn't ask

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Well the best thing you can do right now is to wait for the HD 4870 and crossfire them. The only good thing about SLI was that GF 8 and 9 cards were superior than the HD 3k radeons, but the tables turned on nvidia and the Radeons are looking exquisite to say the least.

Nvidia chipsets are subpar, there's no denying it. So I would strongly suggest at least an X38 mobo (can be found for less than $200) or even an X48 and using crossfire with the upcoming HD 4870.