david8115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I am going to be lapping my CNPS 9500 AT when i get it tomorrow. I have a few questions on lapping:

I have 400, 800, 1000 grit paper. I plan to lap it in a figure 8 configuration. How long should use it for each grit?

Also, after you're finishing lapping it, what is the proper procedure for clean. I heard Cleaning alcohol, and you put some on a q-tip and clean the bottom? I am not sure if i have atm, so should i hold off till i get some?
or can i use other things to clean the bottom when im done with it?

Any suggestions are welcome

thanks

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Place the paper on something extremely flat, like a mirror and tape it down. Put a few drops of water on the paper. I would say, use a Sharpie marker and place dots at each corner and in the middle of each edge and the middle...this way you can see if you are being uniform in your lapping. If you get all dots removed and the block then sits flush with a razor blade across it, you should be dang close. Use the higher grits to polish it up, performing the same 'Sharpie' trick each time until shiny. You might also consider getting 1200 or 1600 grit if you can find it.

Are you going to lap the CPU? Kind of makes little sense to lap one and not the other, as most coolers are designed to compensate the IHS on the CPU in some way.

Edit: I am pretty sure there are a couple a stickies at the top of the coolers and heatsinks threads...did you read those??

Good luck on lapping that Zalman cooler, its the hardest to lapp heatsink I've ever lapped, its like trying to drag an elephant around on a barstool, even with everything removed, cooling fan, fan mounting bracket, its a true beast to lapp.

Its possible but takes severe patience, and be careful or you'll filet yourself.

Heres a lapping suggestion from an old school lapper:

Use 600grit auto body wet/dry sandpaper, dry lapp until residue starts to build on the paper, vacuum the residue from the paper and continue, when you vacuum the residue the paper will cut like new, once you get your surface flat stop vacuuming the residue and let it begin to build up, the residue build up will begin to polish the base, [Metal on Metal], continue until you have a mirror finish.

I've used that method for years and it works every time.