Sign in with
Your question

is my intel e6750 is too hot?

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2008 2:03:12 PM

hey

the problem is that my CPU has a really high temp

easytune, and speedfan say that my CPU is 84C while playing games and on 35C idle.
core temp says the core temperature is 92C under load and 55C on idle

i dont get any warning beeps from the system from the high temp (in easytune it has a warning sign next to the CPU and system fan, but dont know why cos everything looks ok)

why is the CPU temperature so high? and has it wrecked my CPU?

CPU: intel E6750 with stock heatsink
MB: gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
PSU: 430w
graphics: 8600GTS
fans: 3 in case, cpu fan and graphics card fan

thanks for help in advance, zac

More about : intel e6750 hot

a b à CPUs
July 16, 2008 3:32:54 PM

That's a bit on the warm side, definitely.

Does your heatsink wobble at all? Is it fully secured? I have an E6750 at 3.5GHz that only makes it to 55C load with the stock fan.
July 16, 2008 3:46:53 PM

That is... hot [/paris]
Related resources
July 19, 2008 10:37:13 AM

my heatsink had a slight wobble-fixed it and the temp dropped

has the high temps from before the fix damaged my CPU?
a c 159 à CPUs
July 19, 2008 11:43:31 AM

I doubt it. I had my old p4 up to 80 celcius more than once, and it still ran fine.
July 19, 2008 2:58:06 PM

zaac you might as well pull the heatsink off and lap the cpu in. Some thermal compounds may harden when exposed under tempreature to air and the zinc coated shells on cpu's have been know to warp under load with no heatsink.

If your going to do this use a glass plate and go down to the copper. Ensure a mirror finish and DO NOT run until your sure the heatsink is fully clamped.
July 19, 2008 3:05:59 PM

He had a loose HS, and your recommending lapping it (The CPU)?

I thought the surface of the IHS is nickle, and beneath that is copper.. Not sure where you getting zinc from.
July 19, 2008 3:47:08 PM

Yer why not? If you think rubbing a cpu a few times on some sandpaper is too much effort don't bother, it's your cpu. But if you can be bothered you'll run 2-5c below what you had and that might just give you the headroom for a stable overclock.

Sorry I had zinc on the brain:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5532/ex-blc-348/Swift...

What's it with people these days, they try and get away with doing little as possible to rectify a problem, even when it's their own computer. They act like loading an OS or reformating a drive is equivilant to the end of the world. I format my hardrive at least once a year even when there aren't major issues, just for a cleanout and a bit of extra speed and clean up to date driver installs.
July 19, 2008 4:18:52 PM

What??? "they try and get away with doing little as possible to rectify a problem"

The main problem is the HSF design. He fixed it and now is asking if the heat has damaged it, which it was replied... no.

And if your saying it only takes rubbing a CPU a FEW times, to give it a mirror finish is going to make things fabulous, then why put a HS on it. You won't be able to see anything.

Now redoing an OS is preference. And I don't know where you get the idea that I'm a whiner about reinstalling an OS. I've ran XP home for over 5 years without reinstalling. I had no slow downs on it, or problems with it. Of course I was the only person running it.
July 20, 2008 2:23:37 AM

"The main problem is the HSF design. He fixed it and now is asking if the heat has damaged it, which it was replied... no."

The excessive heat may not have rendered the cpu useless but that doesn't mean it hasn't damaged it, same as if you were driving a car with a smashed fender and door that still worked, it works but yes it's damaged.
The only way someone can tell if heat has warped the top plate is with fine measuring equpment like dial micrometers etc, this is why I suggested he lap the unit in, to make it dead flat, or as flat as possible. If you don't think flatness is of any issue have a look at the previous link where they make the degree of flatness an advertising point:

*Outer face is lapped flat to 3/10 of a mil, and mirror polished."

"And if your saying it only takes rubbing a CPU a FEW times, to give it a mirror finish is going to make things fabulous, then why put a HS on it. You won't be able to see anything. "

Errr grimmy, he's NOT suppose to LOOK at the cpu after sanding flat, he IS suppose to put the hsf back on it and actually use it.

"I've ran XP home for over 5 years without reinstalling. I had no slow downs on it, or problems with it. "

What you do with your computer is your business grimmy, but if you ever get motivated enough, clock up some benches now and some after you reformat and reload the OS with latest drivers because without facts the whole conversation becomes subjective.

Just so you know grimmy I don't like having long winded arguements with people, whatever degree people choose to take their computer too is up to them, I am simply expressing the tasks I would undertake.
July 20, 2008 1:54:09 PM

Quote:
"The main problem is the HSF design. He fixed it and now is asking if the heat has damaged it, which it was replied... no."

The excessive heat may not have rendered the cpu useless but that doesn't mean it hasn't damaged it, same as if you were driving a car with a smashed fender and door that still worked, it works but yes it's damaged.
The only way someone can tell if heat has warped the top plate is with fine measuring equpment like dial micrometers etc, this is why I suggested he lap the unit in, to make it dead flat, or as flat as possible. If you don't think flatness is of any issue have a look at the previous link where they make the degree of flatness an advertising point:

*Outer face is lapped flat to 3/10 of a mil, and mirror polished."

I can't believe you took the time to explain that? Whats that? And advance analogy to explain that his CPU may have problems?

Quote:

"And if your saying it only takes rubbing a CPU a FEW times, to give it a mirror finish is going to make things fabulous, then why put a HS on it. You won't be able to see anything. "

Errr grimmy, he's NOT suppose to LOOK at the cpu after sanding flat, he IS suppose to put the hsf back on it and actually use it.

I guess you thought I was serious, and didn't think I was being sarcastic?

Vertigon said:

"I've ran XP home for over 5 years without reinstalling. I had no slow downs on it, or problems with it. "

What you do with your computer is your business grimmy, but if you ever get motivated enough, clock up some benches now and some after you reformat and reload the OS with latest drivers because without facts the whole conversation becomes subjective.

Just so you know grimmy I don't like having long winded arguements with people, whatever degree people choose to take their computer too is up to them, I am simply expressing the tasks I would undertake.

Thing is.. I don't think you followed along with the post. His problem was solved, yet you answered like the problem wasn't solved, and recommended lapping. Lapping isn't something that is easy, which you made it out to be. You can damage your CPU, you will void the warranty, and if it doesn't work when your done making it nice an flat, you can't RMA it.

Also, lapping is for someone who is exactly not for this person. I mean, he's wondering if heat wrecked his CPU, and yet your recommending to use sand paper on it.

I'm not here to argue as well. But then you add your thoughts like:

Quote:
What's it with people these days, they try and get away with doing little as possible to rectify a problem, even when it's their own computer. They act like loading an OS or reformating a drive is equivilant to the end of the world. I format my hardrive at least once a year even when there aren't major issues, just for a cleanout and a bit of extra speed and clean up to date driver installs.

Which strikes a nerve with me, since you said it after I simply asked why you'd recommend it.

But anyhoo... I think lapping is over kill for this guy, and to me, it really isn't worth it.
July 20, 2008 2:50:11 PM

grimmy why don't we let him decide what to do? you wouldn't lap, I would, that's what this forum is for, different ideas from different people.

July 20, 2008 3:10:42 PM

Vertigon said:
grimmy why don't we let him decide what to do? you wouldn't lap, I would, that's what this forum is for, different ideas from different people.

What's there for him to decide? He already fix his problem:

zaac said:
my heatsink had a slight wobble-fixed it and the temp dropped

has the high temps from before the fix damaged my CPU?

July 21, 2008 7:03:20 AM

thanks for the help-im going to leave my CPU as it is because it seems fine
!