Sign in with
Your question

Odd Display glitch with 8800GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2008 7:17:05 AM

I've had my 8800GTX for about 6 months now, always worked perfectly until now. I upgraded my divers to fix some old issues in a few games, and now I'm getting this off pixel noise, usually it's green, but I have also seen it do red.

It persists in all applications and in windows. Any drivers after 158 do this. I've tested 158, 163, 168, 175, and the new 177 all with the same effect.

Occasionally it will go away, it started off mild a few weeks ago, but now it's more persistent. I'm not sure if the card is going, or if my last two weeks of fighting with EVGa made it worse.

Has anyone encountered this before? Does it even have a name? EVGa has pretty much said RMA it before we'll give you any more support, but I would rather not spend a month without a functional computer, since they refuse to crossship unless i pay for it.

If it makes any difference, it's a Sceptre 24" I have dual screened with a different brand 20" (which works perfectly). Also tried switching the two DVI cables around, with the same effect. The same one always gets the effect.

How could this be an issue with my card? I'm thinking something got screwed up in the settings, but I've also done a complete safe mode wipe with a driver cleaning utility.

Any help for someone who has lost his mind?

June 22, 2008 8:03:37 AM

Just to clarify, this does happen to both monitors, right?

Or just from one port on the card? If it just happens to one monitor, regardless of the DVI port you're using, you'd be looking in the wrong spot by RMAing your card.

Otherwise, you may want to check to see if the heatsink/fan assembly on your card has become clogged with dust. I have seen this cause odd problems (especially when the weather takes a warmer turn ... it just so happens to be summer now in the US), though not this specific problem.

From your post, I can't tell whether or not the monitor or the GPU is the problem. It almost sounds like are saying that "the same [monitor] always gets the effect" - if you are, though, I can't understand why you would suspect the GPU before suspecting the monitor.

Unless both monitors get the effect, I would test each one independently on each of the two GPU DVI-out ports (that is, test using only one at a time). If the problem is linked to either a particular port or resolution, the GPU is the culprit. If the temperatures are in line, there's probably little you can do short of RMAing the card. If it's always the same monitor ... try using that monitors analog port (if it has one) with a 15 pin d-sub -> DVI converter.
June 22, 2008 8:18:26 AM

Isolate the problem to either the card, monitor or cable. Go from there.
!