Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Odd HDD stops MY pc FROM booting!

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2009 3:47:56 AM

The Cavier SE 80GB HDD stops my PC from booting up and so I couldn't install XP on it even if I made the CD Rom as the first boot device. The xp disc would only start loading if the HDD were unplugged before power up. Hence, in order to install the windows xp on the HDD, I had to unplug the HDD prior to power up and then replug it in after xp start loading. What's wrong with the HDD? Thank you!

More about : odd hdd stops booting

a b G Storage
September 19, 2009 4:41:18 AM

Check if you have Legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS, if it is disable it.

You will have to do a fair bit of research to get XP installed on a USB device, the normal XP installer won't allow it.
m
l
September 19, 2009 5:00:09 AM

MrLinux said:
Check if you have Legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS, if it is disable it.

You will have to do a fair bit of research to get XP installed on a USB device, the normal XP installer won't allow it.

It is NOT an external HDD! This is an internal SATA HDD. I need to unplug the internal SATA cable before installing the OS.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 19, 2009 6:20:09 AM

Sorry, my bad, I misread your post.

How far is the XP installer getting, is it hanging immediately or does it get as fare as device detection?

I have seen the XP installer hang when a hard drive contains a corrupt/extended or Linux partition, the only way round it was to use something like Ultimate Boot CD to wipe the partition table.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 19, 2009 6:21:35 AM

Then you probably have something wrong with the drive. Try the drive in another PC. If it doesn't work there, pitch it.
September 19, 2009 6:51:18 AM

jsc said:
Then you probably have something wrong with the drive. Try the drive in another PC. If it doesn't work there, pitch it.

I tried that before doing what I mentioned in the original post. It didn't work. However, it start working again after the windows xp is installed.
m
l
September 19, 2009 6:53:48 AM

MrLinux said:
Sorry, my bad, I misread your post.

How far is the XP installer getting, is it hanging immediately or does it get as fare as device detection?

I have seen the XP installer hang when a hard drive contains a corrupt/extended or Linux partition, the only way round it was to use something like Ultimate Boot CD to wipe the partition table.

It didn't even get to the xp loading stage. The pc freeze as soon as the boot welcome screen shown!
m
l
!