Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

16-bit Windows Subsystem:

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:17:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes when
I try to install something



16-bit Windows Subsystem:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.

An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.

Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Close Ignore


I am running XP Pro
Thanks for any help
Bruce

More about : bit windows subsystem

August 17, 2005 1:17:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Me2Ewe wrote:

> Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes
> when I try to install something
>
>
>
> 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
>
> C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
>
> An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.
>
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
>
> Close Ignore

AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
installed:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...

The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:

"What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
which reads:
device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys

"When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:46:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
It must be hidden somewhere maybe


"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:uPAxvwtoFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Me2Ewe wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes
>> when I try to install something
>>
>>
>>
>> 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
>>
>> An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.
>>
>> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
>>
>> Close Ignore
>
> AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
> installed:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...
>
> The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:
>
> "What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
> APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
> which reads:
> device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys
>
> "When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
> working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
Related resources
August 17, 2005 9:36:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Me2Ewe wrote:

> I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
> It must be hidden somewhere maybe

The error message you quoted references Avast. Do what the forum poster
suggested and comment out the line in config.nt.

>>> 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
>>> C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
>>
>> AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
>> installed:
>>
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...
>>
>> The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:
>>
>> "What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
>> APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
>> which reads:
>> device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys
>>
>> "When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
>> working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I cant find config.nt or how to comment it out.
I searched all my drives for Alwil; Alwil Software; Avast; Avast4; aswMonVd;
aswMonVd.dll; config.nt
I cant find anything I also have Windows 2000 and 2003 server on my system
could they be hidden in there somewhere?
Do I have to comment out all drives too? I have 7 Partitions with the
following on them:
C: XP Pro; D: Important Files; E: Windows 2000; F: Backups; G: Drivers &
Downloads; H: 2003 Server; I: Linux Stuff
Could the problem be in other drives? Now I am really lost
Thanks for helping
Bruce

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:%239HLRhyoFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Me2Ewe wrote:
>
>> I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
>> It must be hidden somewhere maybe
>
> The error message you quoted references Avast. Do what the forum poster
> suggested and comment out the line in config.nt.
>
>>>> 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
>>>> C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
>>>
>>> AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
>>> installed:
>>>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...
>>>
>>> The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:
>>>
>>> "What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
>>> APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
>>> which reads:
>>> device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys
>>>
>>> "When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
>>> working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
August 17, 2005 9:07:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Me2Ewe wrote:

> I cant find config.nt or how to comment it out.
> I searched all my drives for Alwil; Alwil Software; Avast; Avast4;
> aswMonVd; aswMonVd.dll; config.nt
> I cant find anything I also have Windows 2000 and 2003 server on my
> system could they be hidden in there somewhere?
> Do I have to comment out all drives too? I have 7 Partitions with the
> following on them:
> C: XP Pro; D: Important Files; E: Windows 2000; F: Backups; G: Drivers
> & Downloads; H: 2003 Server; I: Linux Stuff
> Could the problem be in other drives? Now I am really lost
> Thanks for helping
> Bruce

You're making this all far harder than it needs to be. Using the Folder
Options applet in Control Panel, make sure all hidden files/extensions
are visible. Then go to C:\Windows\System32 and find config.nt. Right
click on it and open it with Notepad. Make the changes suggested by the
poster on the forum I gave you and Save the file. That should do it.

If you are uncomfortable hand-editing a config file (and I don't see how
you could be if you are running Linux), then go to C:\Windows\Repair
and copy autoexec.nt and config.nt from that folder into the System32
folder. Overwrite the ones that are in System32 now.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
!