16-bit Windows Subsystem:

Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes when
I try to install something

16-bit Windows Subsystem:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.

An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.

Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Close Ignore

I am running XP Pro
Thanks for any help
Bruce
5 answers Last reply
More about windows subsystem

    Me2Ewe wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes
    > when I try to install something
    >

    > 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
    >
    > An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.
    >
    > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
    >
    > Close Ignore

    AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
    installed:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:

    "What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
    APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
    which reads:
    device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys

    "When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
    working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
    It must be hidden somewhere maybe

    Me2Ewe wrote:

    > I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
    > It must be hidden somewhere maybe

    The error message you quoted references Avast. Do what the forum poster
    suggested and comment out the line in config.nt.

    >>> 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
    >>> C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
    >>
    >> AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
    >> installed:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    >> The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:
    >>
    >> "What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
    >> APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
    >> which reads:
    >> device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys
    >>
    >> "When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
    >> working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    I cant find config.nt or how to comment it out.
    I searched all my drives for Alwil; Alwil Software; Avast; Avast4; aswMonVd;
    aswMonVd.dll; config.nt
    I cant find anything I also have Windows 2000 and 2003 server on my system
    could they be hidden in there somewhere?
    Do I have to comment out all drives too? I have 7 Partitions with the
    following on them:
    C: XP Pro; D: Important Files; E: Windows 2000; F: Backups; G: Drivers &
    Downloads; H: 2003 Server; I: Linux Stuff
    Could the problem be in other drives? Now I am really lost
    Thanks for helping
    Bruce

    Me2Ewe wrote:

    > I cant find config.nt or how to comment it out.
    > I searched all my drives for Alwil; Alwil Software; Avast; Avast4;
    > aswMonVd; aswMonVd.dll; config.nt
    > I cant find anything I also have Windows 2000 and 2003 server on my
    > system could they be hidden in there somewhere?
    > Do I have to comment out all drives too? I have 7 Partitions with the
    > following on them:
    > C: XP Pro; D: Important Files; E: Windows 2000; F: Backups; G: Drivers
    > & Downloads; H: 2003 Server; I: Linux Stuff
    > Could the problem be in other drives? Now I am really lost
    > Thanks for helping
    > Bruce

    You're making this all far harder than it needs to be. Using the Folder
    Options applet in Control Panel, make sure all hidden files/extensions
    are visible. Then go to C:\Windows\System32 and find config.nt. Right
    click on it and open it with Notepad. Make the changes suggested by the
    poster on the forum I gave you and Save the file. That should do it.

    If you are uncomfortable hand-editing a config file (and I don't see how
    you could be if you are running Linux), then go to C:\Windows\Repair
    and copy autoexec.nt and config.nt from that folder into the System32
    folder. Overwrite the ones that are in System32 now.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers