Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD 500gb External HD

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2009 5:16:19 AM

i just recently bought a Western Digital 500GB My Book External USB 2 Hard Drive... I went to the Western Digital website to read the instructions. Followed it to the 'T' and continually receives error message "the specified i/o operation on \Device\harddisk1\dr4 was not completed before the time-out period expired." Also tried restarting my computer and the same message appears... any help?? i tried going to manage my disks but do not see it there

More about : 500gb external

a b G Storage
September 19, 2009 6:04:29 AM

If you have tried using the front panel USB connectors, change to the connectors on the back of the motherboard.

If you have tried that, try another computer.

If you have also tried that, it's probably defective.
September 19, 2009 6:07:20 AM

Have you tried all the I/O ports available on the back to the drive enclosure and computer? Does your computer see the drive at all? If there isn't any communication at all, the most common problem is a bad USB port on either the enclosure or the computer.
Related resources
September 19, 2009 6:09:30 AM

i tried it on my laptop and still the same errors, i tried it on the usb ports on the back of my tower and still back...... also get a Windows Delayed Write Failed
September 19, 2009 6:45:09 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. The drive or drive enclosure may be defective. If it's convenient, I would probably take the drive back.
September 19, 2009 6:54:05 AM

ye.a.........it was ebay bought.... the city that shipped frmo is near, however i mnessaged the sender (a store) hopefully they take it bak

thank you all for the support tho *thumbs up* thanks

Best solution

September 19, 2009 6:04:49 PM

asianants said:
i just recently bought a Western Digital 500GB My Book External USB 2 Hard Drive... I went to the Western Digital website to read the instructions. Followed it to the 'T' and continually receives error message "the specified i/o operation on \Device\harddisk1\dr4 was not completed before the time-out period expired." Also tried restarting my computer and the same message appears... any help?? i tried going to manage my disks but do not see it there

WD is awesome at RMAs. call/connect with them, they will have you reverify stuff you already know. in the end, you return your gear, and get a replacement, or you can use your credit card and they'll ship you one ASAP with a box that you put your defective gear in (its prepaid). quick turnaround time. you get your money back soon as your drive reaches them.

ps i have your same drive. went through same thing. no receipts required. seagate process is the same, but they will charge you $25, and will not return it, where Western Digital does.
April 24, 2010 3:30:11 AM

Yes I'm currently getting this same error on my "I/O Magic" 200GB USB External Hard Drive. Problem is that it's definitely not my USB ports on the computer (they're good and tried another computer too) or the cable (swapped it out). I'm speculating that it's the power supply... It lights up the hard drive just fine and spins the motor, but when the computer sends a read access request: then the light goes out for about 1 second. Since it's powered by both 12v and 5v I'm guessing that one of the voltage rails is underpowered or not giving enough amperage. I'll keep troubleshooting, but I don't have another enclosure to test the drive in at the moment. I do have nearly 150-GB worth of "un-backed-up" research spanning 8 years on this drive. I was actually using it as a transfer to a mirrored RAID array to make sure I don't lose any of it... But at the ONE moment there isn't a duplicate, then it happens... ARRGH!!! Any suggestions in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The exact error message was:
"the specified i/o operation on \Device\harddisk1\dr8 was not completed before the time-out period expired."
!