Built my new system but having trouble installing Vista

jigidyjay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
First off, this is my first time posting so in advance I thank you for your help. Second, I'm not sure this is the right place for this but hopefully if it isn't then it will get moved to the correct location.

Last week I got in the last parts for my new computer:

Intel q6600 2.4ghz
4 gigs of g. skill pc6400
xfx 8800gt
gigabyte ep35-ds3l
Seagate Bararcuda 7200.10 320bg 3.0 sata
pc power and cooling silencer 610w

I put it together just fine but I still hadn't decided on an OS so I put in the hard drive from my old computer Western Digital 250gb stata 1.5, which had a 32 bit copy of Windows XP on it. Barring a few difficulties everything got up and running and has been doing a fantastic job. After reading around I decided that I would like to put Vista 64 bit on the new hard drive. I ordered a copy but when I get to the screen where I am to choose a hard drive, the only one that shows up is the western digital. I searched many a forums and everyone said to find the raid/sata drivers but I can't seem to find mine anywhere. Some places suggested that I take the drivers from my mobo cd and put them on a flash drive. I did so but I'm not sure they were even the right drivers but everytime the windows install loaded then it never found drivers that were compatible with my system. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It sounds like you have your hard drives in RAID mode in the BIOS. They won't show up in Vista setup if you do. Go into BIOS and change the mode to SATA/IDE mode and everything should be good. Consult your motherboard manual for information.

evll_panda

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
enabled in BIOS?

jigidyjay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
My hard drives are not in RAID mode. I made sure that that was disabled.

Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
enabled in BIOS?

I'm not sure why they wouldn't be enabled. I have been able to use my old hard drive just fine and it is SATA. And when I'm on windows on my old hard drive I can even see and use my new Seagate but it just doesn't show up in the Vista install.