Sign in with
Your question

ATI 4850 mistake?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2008 3:21:16 PM

I have seen, on newegg, that the 4850s listed there only support DirectX10. What happened to 10.1? Is this a mistake or have ATI really dropped the big technological advantage they had over nVidia?

More about : ati 4850 mistake

June 22, 2008 3:27:35 PM

do you not read up on things yes its a mistake
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2008 3:30:20 PM

It is a mistake on newegg's part. DX10.1 is here to stay for ATI. And Third it is not a BIG technological advantage as there are almost no games that support DX10.1. Assasian's Creed is the only one that comes to mind.
Related resources
June 22, 2008 3:35:11 PM

But even that, they disabled it with a patch if i recall.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2008 5:45:26 PM

The Jen-Hsun Huang patch. right?
June 22, 2008 6:08:08 PM

Yup, newest AC patch disables DX10.1 which will reduce your AA performance on ATI cards.
June 22, 2008 7:29:36 PM

Yeah, I know about that. It's a disgusting decision by the devs. And they thought that people wouldn't put 2 and 2 together and see that they are in NV's pocket? :(  Silly....
June 22, 2008 9:23:25 PM

its derogative, there is a huge cover-up going on about DX10.1, aka, real DX10. D3D 10.1 brings most of the performace features that DX10 lacks. Afterall, DX10 was mainly created to be more efficient and see a performance increases over 9.0c, so far though, its nothing but a gimmick.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2008 9:51:33 PM

I see several problems on the horizon for nVidia . The havok signing of ATI, Intel owning havok, Intel coming into the graphics arena will stifle all this twimtbp and no DX10.1. Time itself is against nVidia now, as each day Intel gets closer to its launch, and each day, DX10. or DX11 will become the norm. At this point, its foolish for nVidia to not embrace a higher tech, and as was shown in the 4850 launch, ATI changed the way they did AA because of this, but once its implemented, nVidia takes a 20% hit or better in each game that comes with it. So, for future proofing , nVidia did the pooch on this one, and its only going to get worse
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2008 2:08:25 PM

I think the bulk of Nvidia's problems are yet to surface.

I read an article that said the GT200 chip is only producing 40% yields which is very costly.

It is going to be even more costly when they drop the 9800GTX from $299 to $229 as they annouced going in to the weekend.

Compare that to ATI who has unbelievable yields for the R700 chips and have plenty of head room on their opening prices drop them even more and still make profit.

From a Financial standpoint I don't think Nvidia has any room left to drop their prices will out selling their chips for free.

Yeah the G200 is the fastest chip around. Big Deal. What percentage of the population is willing to shell out $599 for it when a HD4870 is only 10-15% slower but costs about half as much or less?

The opening price for the HD4870 is $299 but that will only last for a few weeks before it drops to about $229
June 23, 2008 2:39:35 PM

There are some very fundamental low level issues why Nvidia can't support DX10.1, biggest being the way they do AA with dedicated hardware in the rops... DX10 was supposed to require this from the start - this is the way ATI designed it with Microsoft - but Nvidia kicked up a fuss. Now we have the situation that DX10.1 is the 'correct' implementation of DX10 - just Nvidia are completely unable to support it unless they do a complete chip redesign from scratch...
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2008 2:45:08 PM

My comments have been construed by some as being as fanboyish. Let me make it clear. Im happy ATI is back. Im tired of a decent response from nVidia for a upgrade option for me, BUT, nVidia needs to be strong, now more than ever. Intel is coming, havok looks like the was how physics is going to be done, or it takes precedence on the cpu over a gpu solution, and they dont have a SLI license with Intel nor a x86 license. Am I happy other than the resurgence of ATI? Not really. I truly feel let down by nVidia, and as Ive just said, this isnt the time for this market. I hope things change, and both ATI and nVidia get it going, so Larrabee has just that much harder a time to enter into the gpu market
June 23, 2008 2:45:40 PM

^^ was supposed to say (edit not working for some reason)

There are some very fundamental low level issues why Nvidia can't support DX10.1, biggest being the way they do AA with dedicated hardware in the rops... With DX10.1 AA is done with the shaders - DX10 was supposed to require this from the start - this is the way ATI designed it with Microsoft - but Nvidia kicked up a fuss. Now we have the situation that DX10.1 is the 'correct' implementation of DX10 - just Nvidia are completely unable to support it unless they do a complete chip redesign from scratch...
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2008 1:45:36 AM

pcgamer12 said:
Yup, newest Assassin's Creed patch disables DX10.1 which will reduce your AA performance on ATI cards.
Here is the scoop on that story. I found it on Tom's Hardware today by accident:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-drivers-physics...

Quote:
Earlier this year Nvidia was involved in the highly controversial Creedgate, when Ubisofthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft found that its "The Way It’s Meant To Be Played" Assassin’s Creed title was faster on ATI cards. The company decided to remove DX10.1 support, since the game was not just slower, but also unstable on GeForce cards.
Basically as I said before...."The Jen-Hsun Huang patch".
!