Hello, I need over-clocking advice...

razor117

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
WARNING another NEWB is trying to overclock his core i7 920!

I just finished building a new performance gaming rig and I would like to start over clocking it. Here are the specs:

* Twelve Hundred ATX Gaming Case
* Antec TruePower Quattro 1000 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply
* Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz)
* V8 Universal CPU Cooler
* MSI X58 Platinum SLI
* EXGA GeForce GTX 295 Video Card
* Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 DIMM Memory
* LG - 16x Internal Blu-ray Disc/Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
* (x2) 1 Terabyte Seagate Barracuda drives in a Raid 0 array

One thing I've noticed about the case is that it's biggest strength is also its biggest weakness. There is a total of 6 intake fans (3 front, 1 side and 2 back) 120s and 1 huge 200mm out take on the top. So this thing is totally rocking the air cooling, but the potential for dust build up is also higher. Nothing a little blowing every once in a while can't fix, of course.

Anyway, just from idol chat I've learned that the i7 920 should have no problems overclocking to about 3.2 to 3.5 GZHz at each core without pushing it to dangerous levels. I'd probably go for 3.8 without hesitation if I had water cooling, but without it.... I'm thinking I'll be safer shooting for 3.33. Reading a few posts here I've also learned that it might even be possible to hit 4 GHz since I decided to go with DDR3-1600 Ram. However, the 920 it seems will run exceptionally stable and at the original 1.25 V factory settings if set to 3.33. Speed step and turbo mode should both work well at this speed as well.

So my question is, what IS a reasonable overclocking goal to shoot for with the components I've got? This is not the first time I've built a computer, but this is my first "serious" attempt at overclocking. So, what are other core i7 920 users managing to archive and are there any good guide/s posted here that I can follow to archive my goals? Thanks in advance!

FYI - Crisis looks and runs amazing!!! I get an average of 40fps at 1680x1050 with almost everything set at enthusiast! I am so glad i waited till now to play it.... and this is b4 even overclocking the CPU or GPU.