Sign in with
Your question

watch this "stuff" before getting a new card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2008 4:53:55 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-34122942392307...

watch from 13:00.

I changed my mind, I'm not getting GX280 or waitting for intel's latest core tech. :D 

I still can run everything I want with my current system.

I don't need a new garbage.

More about : watch stuff card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2008 6:06:08 PM

loading now lol

EDIT:.................................................. thats the way life is you can't change it... anyways that sucked... I was forced to watch that in one of my school classes a couple weeks ago and then we had to discuss how to make it better...
June 22, 2008 6:25:03 PM

Perceived obsolescence = GTX 280

kkthnx
Related resources
June 22, 2008 6:28:02 PM

That video isn't exactly in sync with reality. There really aren't many computer components I'd want to keep over three years anyway. After that time range drives start to fail, motors go crazy, capacitors want to burst... so I don't see the problem with the way things are now.
June 22, 2008 6:41:46 PM

And this video is informative how, this is so well known...and I am still upgrading my new computer...yawn ?

Rodney, you're off on some things...many of us have 5 year old systems, or older, cars are much worse than computers for planned obsolescence...
June 22, 2008 6:47:21 PM

All above must be american!
June 22, 2008 6:54:10 PM

This is complete crap. While "planned obsolescence" is certainly true, computers are the worst example. Technology growing at an exponential rate is good, and that growth rate inevitably means that things become obsolete fast. PCI-Express x16 has been around for a long time in the computer world, and a whole host of gfx products will run on it. LGA775 hasn't changed in a while, although the bus speed has. But this is obviously necessary to carry on with the rate of the technology. I don't see the problem outlined in this video in regards to computers.
June 22, 2008 6:57:50 PM

first of all i can sell alot of PC parts second hand to ppl who dont need high end computers- thus reusing materials. What she says isnt entirely untrue but its not completely true either. We do need to watch our resources and we do need to recycle and recover more materials after they have been used...it can be done and should.
June 23, 2008 10:58:05 AM

Yes they move their factories to China... lols

americans wew!
June 23, 2008 11:22:40 PM

The new "Green Trend" in computing is a good example of perceived obsolescence - there has been "Green" solutions available for some time in computing - its only with an energy crisis that companies are beginning to truly capitalize in the market :p 
June 24, 2008 12:12:36 AM

Bravo on your locked thread jayce. These forums have been getting a little crusty over the past couple of months...that made my day.
July 11, 2008 9:41:00 PM

"thats the way life is you can't change it" ---> That made me sad. It's a shame that so many people think like this ... a shame because it means that people know that what they are doing is wrong but have been convinced that they are powerless. We are not powerless. You don't have to give everything up, from computers to cars, to flex your power - even small changes can have drastic effects, if enough people change, but it's impossible to get "enough" people to change if no one wants to change because they think no one else will change.

The truth is, there are many people, even in US cities, who work hard to change their lifestyle to reduce their impact. Here are a few things that you can do without reducing the high quality of your American lifestyle:
1) Don't buy things wrapped in plastic when you can buy them not wrapped in plastic. For example, why do some stores wrap all of their produce in plastic? Just pile it up like we used to, idiots! (I'm talking to you, Trader Joes!).
2) Recycle everything that can be recycled. All it takes is one more trash can in your kitchen. If you have a choice between two things in different containers, pick the item that can be recycled.
3) Replace your lightbulbs. The mercury in CF light bulbs is less of a worry than the mercury used to produce the extra energy used in regular light bulbs. We're talking about a huge reduction in power used, and if you think that regular light bulbs look better then I think you're an idiot who should try actually using a nice CF bulb (and probably too much of an idiot to actually get a calculator and figure out how much money you save per bulb ... it's pretty dramatic, as those of you who have done the math know).
4) Don't throw away your old computer. Fix it up and sell it or give it away. Believe me, there is some old person out there who thinks that your computer is fast enough for them.
5) Open the window before you turn the AC on
6) If you're like most Americans I know, you're fat. Ride your bike to the store ... not for the environment, but for yourself. You're ugly but you can change.
7) Eat foods produced locally, if you have the option (most of us don't). Buy fair trade, if you can. Farmers markets are ideal.
8) If you live somewhere that doesn't produce it's own water... like, say, southern california, and you have a lawn, what are you thinking? Perhaps I should instead be saying ... please *start* thinking. Just because we probably descended from monkeys doesn't mean you have to act like a monkey and mimic every dumb neighbor of yours.
9) Vote. Even if the elections are rigged or all the candidates are in cahoots or equally indifferent to the real issues, you may as well get in the habit of casting a vote, just in case there is a chance of making a difference one day.
10) Perhaps the most important change we can make in our lives has to do with our perspective. So many people realize that the world won't become a cleaner place just because "I rode my bike to the market and used a backpack to carry my stuff home," but that shouldn't sway your choice in the matter. Unless, of course, you are the type who would rape babies if everyone else was raping them anyways. Would you rape babies if everyone else was raping babies?
July 11, 2008 10:10:01 PM

well i got a core2 computer at the tip so if the guy that through that out is getting a new gfx card pm me and ill give you my address
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2008 12:46:28 AM

"If you're like most Americans I know, you're fat. Ride your bike to the store ... not for the environment, but for yourself. You're ugly but you can change. " I find that highly offensive... CONTRARY to common belief most people aren't really fat in america... they just eat bad food... I for one AM NOT fat and have never been fat in my life... I don't intend to be fat ever... I couldn't imagine living with yourself if you were fat... anyway I also found the "you're ugly..." part offensive... for one... americans take care of themselves aesthetically... you want me to name other countries that don't? I'm not going to because I don't wish to offend anyone... but most countries misconstrue facts about americans... GRANTED some americans are complete dumb-a**es but most aren't... the politicians here are a bunch of losers who manipulate the general populous into believing that the candidate will do something positive... the catch is while doing that they make many other aspects worse...

"Would you rape babies if everyone else was raping babies?" what kind of perversed thought is that... I understand your point... but even thinking of something so... wrong... indicates that you have many problems...
July 12, 2008 3:58:53 AM

There's a quality difference, I have several old computers and peripherals with a lot of hours, some are 12-15 years old and work fine for what they are.

Then again, in one year, my "new" machine had a WD HDD fail, the Samsung DVD drive won't burn above 4x without making coasters (sounds like a bushing's gone), and the eVGA 7600GT video card died.
Bad luck's one thing, but come on now.
July 12, 2008 4:10:02 AM

actaully
if you think the way we live now can be changed you are WRONG
lol

the fact is, all human beings are just living things and living things are not made to mentally recycle what they use
from the beginning of life no single specie including humans has been documented to recycle intentionally

it is just the true fact of our nature lol
if we see two things on the shelf, we take the cheaper one
if it takes less energy to throw everything in the dump instead of sorting and recycling we go with the easier path
thats the way nature or god designed us to be and we will always be that way

unless someday it is actually more efficient or cost effective to recycle than to do what we do now, it will NEVER happen
those of us who thinks they can make a change are just plain stupid and dumb
July 12, 2008 4:18:19 AM

"The mercury in CF light bulbs is less of a worry than the mercury used to produce the extra energy used in regular light bulbs."

For a broken bulb, the EPA recommends that (1) you immediately open windows to reduce mercury concentrations inside your home; (2) you do not touch the spilled mercury; (3) you clean up the broken CFL glass carefully and immediately (but not with your hands or a vacuum cleaner), and (4) you wipe the affected area with a paper towel to remove all glass fragments and mercury. EPA further recommends that you place the paper towel and glass fragments in a sealed plastic bag and bring the sealed bag to your local Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Site.

Besides, why lecture people about something that's being government mandated anyway? You sound like a tool doing that.
July 12, 2008 5:17:50 PM

Sorry for being offensive. You're right that not all americans are fat - as an American myself, I am inclined to assume that I can insult my own country, but I never mentioned that I was from the US. That's like a black guy on a web forum using the N word ... people tend to jump on that if they think the person is white. However, while we're not all fat, most of us are - you can't lie to me about that, I live here too. I see my neighbors, and I even live in one of the thinner towns. As for the baby raping, yes, it's sick, and so, I think, is giving babies asthma. However ignorant we were and are about the consequences of our actions, that is still what we are doing - the correlations found in studies are too damning to deny, the pollution we are making IS causing babies to get asthma and probably worse. It can't be proven on a web forum, but if you met me you wouldn't claim something is wrong with me - as I see it, I'm just willing, for whatever reason, to face a truth that it sounds like you're content to deny. Not that I'm claiming to any better than anyone else.

As for the mercury issue, what does the EPA recommend to do if you live near a coal power plant? Vote on bills that will force the power companies to reduce their output of coal ... into the air? Still, I do see your point - perhaps I dismiss that problem out of hand because I have never broken a bulb, CF or otherwise, but that's just blind luck that can't possibly last forever.
As for sounding like a tool, sorry that I subjected you to a few lines of text about the benefits of CF bulbs. Sounds like you're someone I insulted in my post who decided to throw one back at me. I hope I placated you by saying that not *every* American is fat. If it helps, I'm only bitter because I've made so many small sacrifices in my life to assuage my sense of guilt about my decadent American lifestyle while people around me are living in denial and doing nothing ... and while I am forced to admit that to truly eradicate my hypocrisy in this matter would take more than I'm willing to give (e.g. living in the woods).

July 12, 2008 6:13:30 PM

MattC said:

As for the mercury issue, what does the EPA recommend to do if you live near a coal power plant? Vote on bills that will force the power companies to reduce their output of coal ... into the air?

The EPA is smart enough to realize that the concentration of mercury in coal is generally no more than and frequently less that the concentration of mercury in topsoil. The Sierra Club unfortunately is either not smart enough to realize this, or more likely intentionally ignores it. The fact of the matter is that until a few years ago the technology did not even exist that could detect the mercury emissions from a power plant since the concentrations were so low (measures in Parts Per Trillion). Apparently the thinking now is "if it can be detected it's too high". For that reason most new power plants in the US are now being fitted with mercury capture systems as part of the emissions control systems even though the EPA is not currently imposing emissions limits on mercury.
July 12, 2008 8:51:57 PM

Excellent points, engineer! Still, I'm having second thoughts about my position on CF bulbs already; granted, the extra energy used with incandescent bulbs does end up generating more mercury though power production than would be released if our CF bulbs were all broken and tossed, and even then the extra mercury is not really a huge risk (in fact, thanks to laws restricting the real mercury-pollution culprits, the US is now a minor player in terms of global mercury production, and since most of that comes from power plants that are rapidly upgrading, that small contribution is going to shrink even more... in the US, at least), it is still probably true that the mercury released form CF bulbs will end up hitting humans in a more concentrated form. I have never broken a bulb, but a quick household quiz just found out that 100% of the other people in my house had no idea that CF bulbs even had mercury ... had one broken, they would have just picked up the pieces ... and knowing a certain-somebody, at least one person would have then picked a nose. I just hope we make the transition to LEDs or mercury free CF bulbs sometime soon.
That said, we should probably get off the CF topic. Some people seem a little sensitive about it and it's not polite to hijack a thread.
July 12, 2008 10:14:17 PM

MattC said:
Sorry for being offensive. You're right that not all americans are fat - as an American myself, I am inclined to assume that I can insult my own country, but I never mentioned that I was from the US. That's like a black guy on a web forum using the N word ... people tend to jump on that if they think the person is white. However, while we're not all fat, most of us are - you can't lie to me about that, I live here too. I see my neighbors, and I even live in one of the thinner towns. As for the baby raping, yes, it's sick, and so, I think, is giving babies asthma. However ignorant we were and are about the consequences of our actions, that is still what we are doing - the correlations found in studies are too damning to deny, the pollution we are making IS causing babies to get asthma and probably worse. It can't be proven on a web forum, but if you met me you wouldn't claim something is wrong with me - as I see it, I'm just willing, for whatever reason, to face a truth that it sounds like you're content to deny. Not that I'm claiming to any better than anyone else.

As for the mercury issue, what does the EPA recommend to do if you live near a coal power plant? Vote on bills that will force the power companies to reduce their output of coal ... into the air? Still, I do see your point - perhaps I dismiss that problem out of hand because I have never broken a bulb, CF or otherwise, but that's just blind luck that can't possibly last forever.
As for sounding like a tool, sorry that I subjected you to a few lines of text about the benefits of CF bulbs. Sounds like you're someone I insulted in my post who decided to throw one back at me. I hope I placated you by saying that not *every* American is fat. If it helps, I'm only bitter because I've made so many small sacrifices in my life to assuage my sense of guilt about my decadent American lifestyle while people around me are living in denial and doing nothing ... and while I am forced to admit that to truly eradicate my hypocrisy in this matter would take more than I'm willing to give (e.g. living in the woods).

actually you are right mattc, Americans are obesely fat, not all but it is becoming more and more common place, maybe the other guy who got all offended by it lives in Florida or something but if you live near large cities you'd see that an unimaginable amount are extremely obese, and they don't want to do anything about it either...Soo many are too alzy to hit the gym, bike, swim, you name it they'd rather tivo it then go to Mccidies....
!