SB Audigy 4 Vs. onboard

hypnotico

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
So here is the deal. I just built a comp with the Gigabyte GA-x48-DS4 board, and I am wondering if I should install my old Sound Blaster board into it.

I noticed there is a vista 32 driver out for it so it would work with my op system. The card is so old that I am wondering if i should put the dusty thing in my new comp. I know my mobo has DTS sound with a 106 db signal to noise ratio (ALC889A codec). The specs from the Creative website are not very detailed but here they are:

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=11442

Just seeing the system requirements makes me nervous. ..hmm let me check if i got 600MB hd space and 128MB ram, lol

Please give me ur opinion, even if you are not very familiar with the mobo. In all honesty, the onboard sound seems ok to me on my new mobo, but i hate to just let my old sound card be wasted! :)

- Hypnotico

nicalex

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
tbh it's gonna make ah heck all difference if you've got some cheapass pc speakers to plug into.

But by placing the sound card in your mobo, you'll take whatever sound processing going on off of your onboard sound. So it'll end being a process your mobo wont have to worry about. :)

hypnotico

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Ty for replying, and good point. As far as the speakers I'm using, I'm using logitech z5500s. So, it is very good quality 5.1 sound. For gaming I use turtle beach 5.1 headphones. Sound quality is important to me.

I think it might be good to let the card handle the processing, but i just am not sure. I dont want to downgrade! Supposedly, my mobo has some of the best onboard sound ever created.

Any1 else have an opinion?

- Hypnotico

Tug

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
Leave the onboard card enabled and install the Creative Labs card and then you can compare them side by side.