Sign in with
Your question

Diamond Radeon HD3870 and Asus Motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2008 10:49:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Diamond Radeon Hd3870 256 bit 512 MB graphics card, the one with DDR4 memory. I also have a Asus P5N-E Sli Motherboard. I'm typing on the PC now, when i play games like Crysis, the witcher, or even Beyond Good and Evil it works well and runs completely smooth. I was playing crysis on High settings with virtually no slow down. Thing is, when I play for about 5-10 minutes the games end up freezing up somewhere in the game( never the same spot)

My friend told me to update my drivers and I believe I did from the site but that doesnt help, anyone else had this problem? Also I read posts about the fan cycle being low at stock, could this be an issue? Thanks in advance.
June 22, 2008 10:53:25 PM

It may be. What's the gpu temperature?
June 22, 2008 10:57:47 PM

Idle is about 46-48 degrees celsius. but when i was running something like Crysis it was maybe around 68-75? i think.
Related resources
June 22, 2008 11:05:18 PM

Sciden said:
Idle is about 46-48 degrees celsius. but when i was running something like Crysis it was maybe around 68-75? i think.

68-75C on max load shouldn't be a problem. Did you see it or is it just a guess?

Use this to stress gpu:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Run at least 30 minutes while checking temperature.
June 22, 2008 11:11:59 PM

This is normal, it's when your system loads gate data onto the CPU's cache. I notice this too on my old laptop and my new gaming PC on CoD2. It's nothing to do with temps or drivers.
June 22, 2008 11:24:47 PM

ive been running the benchmark this whole time and it hasnt froze yet. Weird. the highest ive seen is about 86. also there shouldnt be a compatibility issue with the Radeon and a P5N-E SLI motherboard right? i think it has Nvidia chipset drivers off the disc but does that have any effect on why the games are freezing?
June 22, 2008 11:43:15 PM

Sciden said:
ive been running the benchmark this whole time and it hasnt froze yet. Weird. the highest ive seen is about 86. also there shouldnt be a compatibility issue with the Radeon and a P5N-E SLI motherboard right? i think it has Nvidia chipset drivers off the disc but does that have any effect on why the games are freezing?

Are all the games running in DX10? They're still working the bugs out of it. Try running it in DX9 and see what happenes.
June 23, 2008 12:24:09 AM

nah im running XP so its definitely not in DX10 yet :( 
!