April 17, 2009 5:28:41 AM

Hello All,

Just finnished building my i7 system

i7 920
p6t deluxe 2
ocz ddr3 1600

Noctua NH-U12P
Artic Silver 5

I'm seeing idle temps not overclocked of around 40c which I know from reading this forum cant be correct.
Running Prime95 I am seeing under load around 67c

I was hoping to clock the cpu up to around 3.6ghz but with these temps im afraid i wont even get an oc in.

I was thinking I may have applied the artic silver incorrectly. I put one small line down the center and 1 very small line on each side of it.
Does anyone have any photos of what the cpu should look like with artic silver spreaded? Maybe i should take the cpu cooler off and repaste it again.

Also any tips on cleaning up the surface befor i reapply the artic silver again.

Thanks.

Adam.

More about : build idle temps

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2009 5:59:46 AM

Where'd you read in this forum that 40 can't be correct? I saw another thread mentioning 40c as normal. The 67c seems a bit high though. Any thoughts on the cooling setup guys?

EDIT: Whoops, looks like 67 is ok. See this thread for more info :D 
April 17, 2009 6:13:40 AM

I was just reading most peoples idle temps and i see most is around 30 - 35c

I have the Noctua so i would hope to expect them temps. Now yes I do think the 67 seems high.
Related resources
April 17, 2009 6:30:27 AM

Perhaps you put on too much AS5, or for some reason the heatsink did not attach properly. I would suggest reseating the cooler. Also, check if the AS5 is spread evenly over the surface of the cpu.
April 17, 2009 6:45:50 AM

hello there!

I have the 920 as well with the asus rampage II extreme. I have the chip O.C'ed to 3.8 and it sits at 40C idle. At load it gets to around 75C. I'm using a Thermalright 120 ultra to cool it. And from what ive read these are totally normal temps.

here is a video that should explain some of your questions!! Have a great day!!

http://www.viddler.com/explore/HardOCP/videos/21/

eddie
April 17, 2009 7:01:20 AM

Thanks for these imputs guys, I'm going to try reseating the cooler tommorow when I do my cable tidy.
a c 345 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
April 17, 2009 3:30:29 PM

ezynetwork said:
Thanks for these imputs guys, I'm going to try reseating the cooler tommorow when I do my cable tidy.

A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A thin stripe along the long axis is correct for the i7.
Dont apply in two places. The single stripe will spread. A second, separate stripe may trap air(a good insulator) between them.

A good cooler can show an idle temperature about 7c above ambient.
Also remember that AS-5 takes some time to cure, perhaps as many as 200 on/off cycles.

I think you can run into the 70's before the cpu will throttle back to protect itself. Don't worry too much about that.

A BCLK of 160 will give you 3.3. I think that is easy and safe. It is all I need.
April 17, 2009 4:52:51 PM

Quote:
A thin stripe along the long axis is correct for the i7.

So, do i need to turn the cpu cooler clockweise and anti clockwise to spread the paste because i don't think I can move the Noctua like that.

Or should just a single stripe do the job? Also along the long axis does this imply to do it corner to corner sorry.

Thanks,

Adam
a c 345 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
April 17, 2009 5:50:34 PM

ezynetwork said:
Quote:
A thin stripe along the long axis is correct for the i7.

So, do i need to turn the cpu cooler clockweise and anti clockwise to spread the paste because i don't think I can move the Noctua like that.

Or should just a single stripe do the job? Also along the long axis does this imply to do it corner to corner sorry.

Thanks,

Adam

The i7 cpu is slightly rectangular. Just put a thin stripe in the middle of the cpu die in the direction of the long axis.
Here is a link to the arctic silver site which includes a picture tutorial of how to apply thermal material:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.htm...
April 17, 2009 5:58:00 PM

What is your rams settings at? Try to manually set the ram settings in the bios.
a c 345 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
April 17, 2009 6:11:35 PM

sassan said:
What is your rams settings at? Try to manually set the ram settings in the bios.

I left the ram settings to auto/default, and just changed the BCLK to 160.
This resulted in a dram frequency of 480(1440)
4-6-6-18-1T timings and 1.5v.

The i7 integrated ram controller does a good job of feeding the cpu regardless of the ram speed or timings. Benchmarks show minimal difference in FPS or whatever with different ram speeds. I see no need to fiddle with them.

If you are an overclocking enthusiast looking for record results, then that is something else.
April 17, 2009 6:27:19 PM

sassan said:

My ram i set manually in the bios to 1600

When i get home from work I am going to redo the heat sink with artic silver. Then do my cable tidy and see if I can oc change the BCLK to 160

April 18, 2009 1:03:25 AM

Ok i have completed my reset of the cpu hsf i hope i didnt it correct I put a thin line down the cpu in a single line. Temps seem to be 35c idle now and 62c under load so I am seeing a 5c drop. Does anyone think this is still alittle high for a noctua?

The case has ample air flow and cooling its the coolermaster 690.

If i wanted to overclock to 3.2ghz do you think I would see a huge increase in heat?

Thanks, Adam
April 18, 2009 1:25:05 AM

Over clocked to 3.2ghz now under load temps seem to be around 68c going to run it for a few hours any better programs than prime95?
April 18, 2009 1:34:05 AM

D'oh... Should have suggested this before.

Lower your vcore volts as low as you can with that overclock.
My cpu temps dropped by 15c when I changed vcore from auto to stock voltage
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2009 6:31:21 AM

How much performance does he stand to lose if brings the voltage down to stock?
April 21, 2009 6:32:55 AM

I'm not suggesting he lower his voltages to stock, simply to the lowest voltage at which his overclock will be stable.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2009 2:34:42 PM

ezynetwork said:
Over clocked to 3.2ghz now under load temps seem to be around 68c going to run it for a few hours any better programs than prime95?

OCCT is what I use to beat the snot out of my OC. OCCT 3.0.1 is update for the i7, you will want to select CUSTOM and select a Large data set, high priority, and check the box that says "Use Hyperthreadying as dual core" (otherwise it will Hyperthread each core and not hit 100% usage). This will basically cook your CPU and stress test it to the max.

I have a 4.0GHZ OC using 1.3V vcore. I idle around 55C and max about 85C (according to the OCCT temps)

What are you using to monitor your temps? I know my ASUS PCProbe uses the tcase temp and is MUCH lower. And Core Temp registers 3C cooler than OCCT does. So when you throw out temps its hard to tell..

But try OCCT. Trust me.
!