Sign in with
Your question

GTX 280, is that it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2008 1:50:54 AM

Well, the new cards did push down prices for existing cards, didn't it? 9800gtx is now $200. :p 

More about : gtx 280

June 23, 2008 1:53:06 AM

please forgive me if this has been already discussed but I didnt see a thread on it already.

after seeing the anandtech review of the 4850 which included the GTX260 and 280 in the crossfire benchmarks I was left thinking as the title states is that it for nvidia latest and greatest creation? the 280 was pretty rubbish and the gx2 and 8800gt sli put out the same if not better results for much cheaper.
everyone strongly told me not to SLI my 8800gt and wait for the new cards to come out but now I can hardly see the point? is the 280 meant to be nvidias new flagship model? they arent going to make a dual gpu solution of it are they? I thought I read somewhere that nvidia didnt want to carry on the dual gpu gx2 idea after the 9800.

so my point is why would I or anyone buy a 280 if you can get a gx2 which not only outperforms it, its a couple of hundread dollars cheaper now? or am I just jumping the gun a bit and these early reviews are no way near indicative of the true performance of nvidias new cards?
June 23, 2008 2:00:49 AM

D3LTA09 said:
please forgive me if this has been already discussed but I didnt see a thread on it already.

after seeing the anandtech review of the 4850 which included the GTX260 and 280 in the crossfire benchmarks I was left thinking as the title states is that it for nvidia latest and greatest creation? the 280 was pretty rubbish and the gx2 and 8800gt sli put out the same if not better results for much cheaper.
everyone strongly told me not to SLI my 8800gt and wait for the new cards to come out but now I can hardly see the point? is the 280 meant to be nvidias new flagship model? they arent going to make a dual gpu solution of it are they? I thought I read somewhere that nvidia didnt want to carry on the dual gpu gx2 idea after the 9800.

so my point is why would I or anyone buy a 280 if you can get a gx2 which not only outperforms it, its a couple of hundread dollars cheaper now? or am I just jumping the gun a bit and these early reviews are no way near indicative of the true performance of nvidias new cards?

the best part about 4850 in crossfire is that if you flip your case sideways you can cook a roast of pork on them while running 3dmark because of the broken drivers not throttling the fans!
Related resources
June 23, 2008 2:15:38 AM

I agree its great how cheap its made other gpus - well not so awesome for me as I still remeber paying best part of 600 (NZ dollars) for my 8800GT XXX edition last year. but this only illustrates the point further with these older cards being so much cheaper why upgrade unless you are getting a noticeable difference? I think im gona get a 4870x2 when they come out though or at least most likely not a nividia card as I havnt been really impressed since my 7800GT...
June 23, 2008 2:55:22 AM

Lol...i'm still rocking my 7800GT! Still plays em like I like to...just can't touch Crysis with a 30 foot pole. PLay FEAR on max settings though!
June 23, 2008 3:05:47 AM

To the OP, I agree, looking at toms charts, the 7800GTX beat the 6800Ultra SLI, but that was when SLI wasnt as good as today. Also the 8800GTX beat the 7900GTX SLI, and so i dont want to hear the excuse that the GTX 280 is great because it matches last gen dual gpus.
June 23, 2008 3:06:42 AM

stabgotham said:
Lol...i'm still rocking my 7800GT! Still plays em like I like to...just can't touch Crysis with a 30 foot pole. PLay FEAR on max settings though!

That was my last card, or the 7900GS actually, but almost the same thing.
June 23, 2008 4:03:06 AM

Quote:

lol yea id possibly be still repn mine, I remember after making my new rig at the time and installing fear and playing it on max it was the ****. but mine died due to a, aah pci slot blanking plat malfunction shall we say....very traumatic.

Quote:
To the OP, I agree, looking at toms charts, the 7800GTX beat the 6800Ultra SLI, but that was when SLI wasnt as good as today. Also the 8800GTX beat the 7900GTX SLI, and so i dont want to hear the excuse that the GTX 280 is great because it matches last gen dual gpus.

I couldnt agree more, for the price it is it and the fact its next gen it should be noticeably better and if that means it has to be dual gpu in 1 card because they cant get enough out of a single one anymore so be it, I dont care as long as you get some sort of bang for buck - n.b I realise the higher you go the less you get relatively speaking...

I think the gpu market has gotten rather stale in recent times I remember getting my first geforce 2 back in sometime near 1999-2000 and every card I upgraded to after that I got a noticeable difference for my outlay.
June 23, 2008 4:07:32 AM

We are getting nice improvements you just gotta look at performance relative to price, at 200$, performance has never been better.
June 23, 2008 4:07:55 AM

Hardware enthusiasts are spoiled babies. If the new card doesn't blow the old one out of the water you all cry like babies. No one cries when the latest CPU doesn’t double the performance of the previous model.

Also Tom’s Hardware, AnandTech and the rest don't know how to review. It is pointless comparing average fps, go to HardOCP if you wan't a real review. The way they benchmark will show you that although the GX2 has a great average fps, it jumps all over the place. A single more powerful GPU always offers a better overall gaming experience. It may not skyrocket as high in the fps, but it sure doesn't dip as low either. Also bare in mind that SLI and Crossfire just doesn't work with all games.

The GTX 200 series isn’t perfect, but I suspect when they drop to 55nm and beyond it should get quite interesting. I also suspect that the GTX 200 cards were designed for much more than just gaming. Keep an eye on PhysX and CUDA to see where Nvidia really has its sights set.
I’m really impressed with ATI’s new 4800 series that is one powerful card for the price. It’s the reason that the Geforce 8 and 9 series cards are dropping in price and it has nothing to do with Nvidia’s GTX 200. I’m sure Nvidia wanted to keep their prices level and was caught off guard with ATI’s new card and is in for a bit of trouble if they can't lower their prices across the board. The GTX 200 may be more powerful but it does need to come down in price as well.

With the PC losing a lot of its exclusive titles I can’t see much need for any more power over the next couple of years. Simultaneous console development will be sure of that. Also if you want to blame anyone for Nvidia not offering a powerful enough high end, look no further than their lack of competition for your complaints.
June 23, 2008 4:22:13 AM

lack of competition, that was only true in the days of the 2900 and the 2600, it isnt true anymore, the 3000s offered highend performance for the time for prices well below the highend, id say thats competition. Id also say that 3870x2 bea the ultra, stomps the 9800GTX, and is only bested by the 9800GX2 and GTX 280. I'd say thats compettition.
June 23, 2008 4:23:00 AM

And with the release of the 4850, Nv lowered the 9800GTX price tremendously overnight, competition does that to you.
June 23, 2008 4:29:13 AM

ATI has definitely done well in the mid range market. But I don't call a two graphic card solution proper competition for the high end.
June 23, 2008 4:31:26 AM

I clearly stated "if you want to blame anyone for Nvidia not offering a powerful enough HIGH END, look no further than their lack of competition for your complaints."
June 23, 2008 5:06:54 AM

Sorry Darth Piggie but 7900gtx sli beat a single 8800gtx alot in the games that where out at that time.It wasn't until the more shader heavy games,and higher resolution benchmarks where run that the 8800 started to pull away(the generic grand total score you linked included many of the games that came after).There is nothing wrong with the 280's performance,sli them and they crush all dual card contenders. Sure the price is absolutely nuts,but then again flagship cards are never smart buys. If you want the fastest single card on the market be prepared to pay for it.
June 23, 2008 6:44:09 AM

on a side note I just realised that not only will I have to change my p5k to run an SLI solution, crossfire is out as well due to the stupid place where the sata ports are mounted - directly behind the 2nd pciex16 slot. unless I can find a gpu that doesnt mind having 1/4 of the board cut off.....
!