K8V Deluxe mobo trying to get 3gigs ram working

heavyp85

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hey guys I can't find anything that shows my problem exactly...

I've had 1 gig of ram (2 x 512 pc-3200 ddr400 ) in this system forever. I'm trying to get 3gigs all the same speed working. Two 1 gig chips will work no problem. They are PNY DDR400 PC3200 chips.

But if I try to put the third one in, it only notices about 60-70% of the chip, and (I know this is going to sound weird) My mouse cursor changes to a static box...it looks like when you can't get a channel on you TV but the static doesn't move... Obviously I can't change it in control Panel/Mouse settings for some reason... It just stays the same static box... Now If I take the 3rd chip out the cursor goes back to normal! Fancy that.

Anyways, this board is about 3/4 years old here's everything else I have

Athlon 64 3200
350watt PS
7800gs video card AGP
2 SATA hard drive 160g/250g
CDrom and DVD/CD-RW

I've also tried messing with my bios memory settings, like setting them all down to pc2100/ddr266 ect. but to no avail. Hopefully this is an easy fix...Thanks in advance.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Maybe your RAM isn't getting enough voltage? The board doesn't need to supply as much power to two sticks as it does to three or four, so that might be why not all of your third is not recognized.
So this might be your small PSU, or your old motherboard. I used to have an ASUS A8V deluxe, that VIA chipset was terrible. I want to say you need a bigger PSU though.

heavyp85

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Ya, I was thinking that might be the problem, but I disconnected both my cd/dvd drives, all my case fans and my extra HD and still got the same result. I was looking at asus' "watt calculator" and it said I was probably about 100 watts short...whoops! But it still didn't solve the problem. So I believe you're right, i do need a bigger PSU but that's not the problem right now I don't believe...Thanks for the response though.