Please help this damsel in distress!! RE: printer network problem. x

G

Hi All,

I am not even sure I am in the right place!! I will now try and explain my lil problem with the extremely limited knowledge that I have....be warned this will be basic!

I will start from the beginning...(we may need violins at some point)

I was quite happily doing some work for uni on my laptop meanwhile I had disconnected the desktop pc, that is on a network with the laptop, due to some necessary home decorating that were required!

I needed to print my assignment and decided to connect to the printer via USB so as not to have to reconnect the desktop. This did not work so ended up HAVING to set up the desktop and printed it out by saving to a pendrive memory thingy!!!

Since this point I have not been able to use the printer on my laptop. I have tried deleting it and addind again - no good. It just keeps coming up with 'windows cannot print due to the current printer setup'.

Not sure whether this info will help but I do have another printer on the network/server thingy and that works fine! I would use this one all the time but it is an inkjet and as I do a lot of printing find that my laser printer is far for economical.

Sorry if it is long winded and not techically correct but quite simply I am rubbish!

If you could suggest anything that may work I will be forever grateful.

Thanks peeps

Dee x

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
is this printer connected to the desktop pc and not to the network directly?

you may have to re-enable file & printer sharing

on the desktop pc - goto control panel, printers, right click your printer and look for an option like share, alternatively you might have to select properties and then look in there for a share option.