Need advice once computer is built

Raxus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Hey Gang,

Got my system ordered, will show what I got below. I just need to know if I should do a burn in or not on this puter? Never it did it with my previous build and lasted me 4 years. Was it pure luck or is burning in a new puter a thing of the past? If I do need to burn it in what are the steps I should do? I don't plan on OCing right away unless you all think I should. Anyways here's my list.

Case: Antec 900
MobO: Asus Rampage
CPU: E8400
Ram: Corsair XMS 2X2GB 5-5-5-18
GFX: EVGA 9800 GTX (plan on using Step-up program when new cards come out)
PSU: PCPower & Cooling 610W Silencer
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKKS
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283
DVD: Samsung 20x
Monitor: Dell 2408WFP

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can, it would be a good test of your components (while the receipts and boxes are readily availble for RMA) to see if everything performs as it should. What were you going to use for burn-in software?

Burning in is a great idea, because it lets you identify defective parts while you still have warranties. For example you should do it before you mail any rebate claims. At least run memtest86 to check the RAM.

That looks like a very nice build, BTW.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Burn In.....I've never done that myself....I mean it's kind of just the time from when you first build it ...to the time temperatures and performance are stable. Thermal compounds take time to "burn in" and stablize the temps.

It's not like you are breaking in a car where you're supposed to stay under a certain speed for a few thousand miles....if that even really matters. I mean I've done it a few and they fell apart, and others I've not taken care of as well that refused to die!

I'm sure someone will come along and argue with me and say it's crucial or important, but if you can get Vista to install and then run a few benchmarks or games then you should be in good shape. If there is a problem they usually show up pretty fast.

I've got an E8400 myself. I haven't found any program that has required overclocking for good performance with it. I think it's mostly something you can put in your signature....he he.....It is an easy chip to overclock though...I just don't see the need for it right now unless it's something you like to do.

Looks like a pretty solid system you got there...should be great!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
jsut leave it and make sure the pc booted ok and install windows and all the drivers.and then straight into overclocking.if you blow it you can RMA it or even get a refund within the "trial" period.

thats what i do anyway.

Raxus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

Aevm could ya tell me how to run memtest86? Never done that before. Do I do that after Vista install or before?

BTW, thanks to all here on the boards with this build. Would NEVER have gotten this good a build without the great folks on this forum. You have no idea how much I appreciate all the help!