ravage9218

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I need help overclocking this card. I have heard that a lot of people can overclock the memory clock to 900 and I can't seem to do that. It will barely reach 850 and any higher causes my computer to freeze. I can get the core clock to 750 and shader to 1500. Is there any way to boost it even more??? I am hoping to get some better results for Crysis (I know this card isn't great for it but that is the best one for my system.)

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
the overclocking capabilities of your card depend on the cooling and also differs with each individual card. Not every card will overclock the same amount, some won't overclock at all. with that being said, the only way you "might" be able to get a higher overclock is to get better cooling for your card either by increasing airflow in your system and/or replacing the stock cooler with an aftermarket one. BUT it is hardly worth bothering to replace the heatsink on an 8600GT. Since the aftermarket heatsink might cost as much or more than the card itself.

the performance gain you get from overclocking this card still won't be enough to get even decent results out of crysis.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Keep the card on stock speed and lower your Crysis grpahics settings (rez and details). At least you can play and not be interrupted with the crashes. i have the MSI 8600 GTS and it worked for Crysis. Of course the e8400 helped too. Pinaplex is right. Even if you did manage to get from 850 to 900 you wouldn't notice the difference. However, if you still want to try. Leave out your case side panel and get a $10 WalMart desk fan and have it blow right into your motherboard - tilt it on its side so it can reach your videocard and see if it helps. Monitor your GPU temps too with RealTemp.

souper61

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
It will run Crysis easily at stock speed's, but if you do decide to 'clock' the card be very wary of any changes to the setting's, a mistake there will cost you a new card.

Wisenos

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

totally agree with you

3 years ago when i bought my 7800 gt oc from BFG
i ran it @ about 20% higher than stock "oc'ed" speed for almost 2 years before it decided to die
now my twins 8800gt xxx edition runs a bit over 10% overclock(650/950) but i have alot of airflow in my case si i probably try to flash them to asus speed 700/1000 to see how they runs