Sign in with
Your question

Games keep freezing due to CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2008 6:44:31 AM

Hey all, I'm having a problem where no matter what I am playing on my computer, my games always freeze. First I'll give you my specs:

Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Motherboard
Intel Q6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz (Stock)
4GB GSkill DDR2 800
Vistiontek HD3870 Graphics Card
320GB Seagate HDD
600Watt PSU

-My graphics card never goes over 55C.
-My CPU never goes over 40C

I'm pretty sure it's my CPU that's causing the problem. My motherboard has 4 colored LED lights that monitor CPU load (Level 1 - Green; Level 2 - Green; Level 3 - Yellow; Level 4 - Red (Red being at full load)). Whenever one of my games freezes, like CoD:4, I get the skipping noise that happens whenever you get a BSOD or a freeze. Soon after that my indicator lights work their way up to red. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing my games to freeze? This is a completely new build and there is no dust in it and I know those temperatures above are well within range, so this can't be a heat issue.

Thanks in advanced.

More about : games freezing due cpu

July 17, 2008 6:55:18 AM

VGA Driver 90% is to be blame imo
July 17, 2008 6:58:42 AM

I have the newest Catalyst drivers off of ATI's site (I already know that they don't have the greatest reputation for their graphics card drivers). Do you know any 3rd party guys that make good ATI drivers?
Related resources
July 17, 2008 7:05:28 AM

ATI's drivers are good. It's Nvidia who's messed up drivers recently (Vista), and even they got them fixed. Sadly, one bad driver set from years ago can create a rep.

Make sure you have old drivers uninstalled completely before installing new drivers. You might need to use a registry cleaner to remove the drivers. Then boot to VGA mode and install new drivers before going into standard mode.
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2008 7:08:40 AM

I had a friend who had a similar problem.

He has the exact same motherboard as you. He also has a e8400 and a 8800GT. He said about 10 minutes in to the game it would freeze and the whole system would reboot.

However after that he could play for 4 hours or more and it would be fine.

This happened on a regular basis. I think he fixed it by updating the bios on his MOBO.
July 17, 2008 10:13:05 AM

600Watt PSU ??

a b à CPUs
July 17, 2008 12:15:17 PM

I'd say overheating, but I doubt thats an issue at 2.4 GHz...
July 17, 2008 1:03:15 PM

Shotty drivers
July 17, 2008 1:05:25 PM

hows the fan speed on gpu does it speed up/down when you are playing or does it just ramp up/down at start up
July 17, 2008 6:20:18 PM

It's not overheating guys so that's out, I've fixed the fan issue with my Hd3870 with Rivatuner.

Thanks Skittle I got those, it's just that I've never updated my BIOS before. Do I have to stick those files on a floppy and use QFLASH?

Yes BobWya a 600 Watt Power Supply Unit.
July 17, 2008 7:52:29 PM

Hey guys thanks for your help but I just noticed something. I had to RMA my first EP43 board due to a BIOS ROM failure. Newegg messed up and sent me back an EP45 board. So I'll go get those files and not the 43 files.
July 17, 2008 11:31:39 PM

Still freezes with the BIOS updates =\
July 18, 2008 12:00:45 AM

I didn't think that all would be good until playing a game its almost got to be a driver like chechnyan said and i think it is temps causing it what do you have rivtuner fan set at???
July 18, 2008 1:49:43 AM

Here are my Rivatuner settings for my graphics card fan.

Fan Speed at 54% when temps are <50C
Fan Speed at 60% when temps are between 50C and 55C
Fan Speed at 70% when temps are between 55C and 60C
Fan Speed at 80% when temps are between 60C and 65C
Fan Speed at 90% when temps are between 65C and 70C
Fan Speed at 100% when temps are >70C

I was able to play Call of Dootie for around 30 minutes last time and I had Rivatuner's Hardware monitor on; the monitor showed that my graphics card never went above 65C. It's idling around 43C right now.

Driver issue? I uninstalled my ATI drivers and replaced them with Omega's ATI drivers.
July 18, 2008 2:00:07 AM

Is rivturner set on auto? if it is do you hear fan speed increase as temps go up? I have only got rivatuner to work on fixed settings. I had same problem but i had to bump up to 70% on fixed setting. i have a 3870x2 for cod4 not to crash on me
July 18, 2008 2:06:56 AM

No, I have my fan programed at those levels. I can hear the fan go up and down and the noise does correspond to the fan level : temp.
July 18, 2008 2:32:04 AM

then the only thing i can think of is power dropping how are your voltages doing are they jumping around?Also you might try reinstalling netframe2 also. but please if you find what is causing problem let me know
July 18, 2008 2:33:21 AM

After thought try using fix setting on rivatuner @70% just to see!!
July 18, 2008 3:03:49 AM

Ok, I read on another forum that underclocking your card may help, should I do this?
July 18, 2008 3:37:23 AM

did you try 70% fix fan speed??
July 18, 2008 3:51:09 AM

Actually I have no idea what's going on anymore. I've updated my graphics card and BIOS drivers without any help. I'm starting to go insane.
July 18, 2008 3:51:37 AM

I'll try the 70% thing now.
July 18, 2008 3:59:00 AM

Nogo on the 70%, just froze.
July 18, 2008 6:02:30 AM

Ok i can't even run cod on safe mode
July 18, 2008 6:24:08 AM

mwayne5 said:

Yes BobWya a 600 Watt Power Supply Unit.

Uhmmm I was actually asking what PSU model you have (if it wasn't obvious) - you have gone into great detail about all the other less important components!!

Bob
July 18, 2008 7:25:25 AM

and it froze again...i lose
July 18, 2008 1:19:51 PM

mwayne5 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my psu is that duder^^^

But I think I may have fixed my problem. I just played the longest I've played without a freeze so Ill post back in a few days or when it freezes again.

If it ain't a BIOS issue, your temperatures are OK/you aren't overclocking and isn't GPU drivers that just leaves... the PSU!!

Really with expensive good quality gear like that (a mean a Q6600 and 3870 aren't entry level parts) you just got to have a decent PSU. Especially since the 3870 is an ex-flagship ATI card!! I mean the fact that the 3870 card requires 2x PCIe power connectors should really be stearing you away from the budget end of the PSU market straight away!! With a good quality MB and RAM like that it is most likely "bad power" (i.e. glitching rails) that is making your system unstable.

I refer you to:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251934-10-exploding-warning-corsair
I have seen a cheapo PSU exploding (and taking out a RAM stick with it)... Not much fun!!

The following is good guide for decent PSUs (Tier 1 & 2):
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
The cost of a Corsair VX 550W PSU vs. your system crashing all time = no brainer!! :hello:  :hello:  :hello: 

This is all you need:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Bob

a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 1:40:09 PM

^I had a PSU that went bad go boom. Sounded like a 22 going off and there was smoke and cap parts and glivey!!!!!!!
July 18, 2008 2:06:13 PM

I remember a long while back when a floor Compaq Proliant Server (P4 1ghz server system) had a PSU go boom. You could hear people going what was that. And some people stood up from their cubicles and saw smoke rising from the cubicle the server was at. :lol: 

I had to call it in for an RMA PSU replacement. But I do recall the sound was.. amusing, least to say.
July 18, 2008 6:05:56 PM

3870 only requires one pcie connector. Anyway, I can get a corsair 650 Watt for that same price on another site so I may go with that. I just don't want to drop $100 on one mans assumption. This could be an issue with the cards BIOS or something, I'm waiting for VisionTek to get back to me.
July 18, 2008 6:10:19 PM

mwayne5 said:
3870 only requires one pcie connector

My bad I was thinking of the 3870 X2 :whistle: 

Bob
July 18, 2008 6:29:28 PM

Ok I downloaded Speedfan to watch my voltages and where should the +12 and -12 be on the chart? +12 right now is around +3 on the chart and -12 is around -15 on the chart. Is the position dependent on the load?
July 18, 2008 7:38:07 PM

mwayne5 said:
3870 only requires one pcie connector. Anyway, I can get a corsair 650 Watt for that same price on another site so I may go with that. I just don't want to drop $100 on one mans assumption. This could be an issue with the cards BIOS or something, I'm waiting for VisionTek to get back to me.

Yeh, I am only making an educated guess. The easiest way to test the theory is to swap in a "known" good PSU from a friend or another of you own rigs (if you are that lucky :lol:  ).

On the subject of testing. Have you run a battery of test apps on the system to check stability in other areas?

Its worth running 4x CPU burn processes (1 per core), Gold Memory Tester, etc. (testing both over night). Just to check the stability issue is isolated to 3D. You can google on these "cpu burn" and "Gold Memory Tester" (if you are unfamiliar with them) to download them. I use these tools for checking OC systems for stability over a >8 hour period.

Also have you have you tried the ol' "huge house fan blowing in the side" (with the panel off) technique. I have found this often works (possibly pointing to a passively cooled Mosfet or chip overheating somewhere in a region of stagnent airflow). This is currently an issue for my watercooled rig as there is (my poor design :whistle:  ) no airflow over the PCI cards. This actually leads to a low GPU overclock (no cooling of the Mosfets on the card only the core and ram). My rig was crashing this week as the main PCI-X SCSI card for my boot disks had an overheating chip as well - until I bodged in a side fan... Oh dear you live and learn!!

Slightly off topic but isn't "ATI Tray Tools" a more useful tool for ATI cards than Riva Tuner?? I thought the latter was more for Nvidia cards??

I have used "ATI Tray Tools" myself and found it to be quite useful. Might be worth playing about with the clocks... Underclocking the GPU might help?? Running the stability tests/ artifact testing tools as well would be a good idea.

Basically the more testing you can do the better you can get an idea where the problem issues are.

Unfortunately testing PSUs for ATX compliance is very hard. You would need (I guess) a digital Scope to capture the rail voltages with microsecond resolution as the system crashes (which is probably due to ripple breakthrough at load or a tiny dropout on a rail).

Bob

July 19, 2008 2:23:20 AM

My neighbor has a 900 watt TT psu. He also has a 1300 watt psu that he insisted was required to run a quad core amd and 2 hd3870's, I told him he was a dumbass and he won't need half of that.
July 19, 2008 4:29:04 AM

(mwayne5) i am sorry but what does that have to do with your problem that we are trying to help you with !!!!
July 19, 2008 5:13:24 AM

tbh that psu is crap, there was a video i posted earlier in another thread which shows what happens with generic psu.
July 19, 2008 5:45:08 PM

I am going to get a new PSU. My PSU was the problem. I switched the pci-e connectors since my PSU has two of them and now everything runs fine for as long as I want it. So I am going to assume that one of my plugs is bad or has a short in it, I'm not going to chance it. I can get a 650 Watt Corsair for $79 after rebate. Thanks for the help guys.
July 19, 2008 9:40:53 PM

mwayne5 said:
I am going to get a new PSU. My PSU was the problem. I switched the pci-e connectors since my PSU has two of them and now everything runs fine for as long as I want it. So I am going to assume that one of my plugs is bad or has a short in it, I'm not going to chance it. I can get a 650 Watt Corsair for $79 after rebate. Thanks for the help guys.

Let me guess... It was the PCI 6+2 pin connector that worked in the end??!!

Bob
July 20, 2008 1:43:26 AM

no just the 2nd pcie 6 pin

edit: I just looked at that link, even though I got the link from my history in my newegg account...that's not the psu I have.
!