4870 power requirements

cyberfunk

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Hi,

I was just looking at the picture of the new 4870 on http://www.gpureview.com and it appears to have 2 x 6 pin pci-e power sockets on it ?

Can anyone confirm if it actually requires that many to power up ?

I am asking cause i am speccing out a new rig for 2 x 4870 in a xfire configuration, and want to make sure i buy the appropriate power supply.

Many Thanks.

Cyb

It most likely does. The only card I remember that had more power plugs than it needed at startup was te 2900XT which had an 8 when it only needed a 6 for stock.

Now, the 4850 only has 1 6 pin and draws a max of 110W, so I doubt that 2nd plug will be used much at stock, but it most likely will still be necessary. I can't say for sure, though.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Some of what I've heard (possibly just speculation) puts the 4870 at around 150w of power draw. In other words, it technically COULD possibly run with just one plug, though it'll probably refuse to boot without the second. It won't have much need for that much power... However, chances are that because of that, it should have plenty of room for overclocking if the GPU and GDDR5 allow.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
This speculative guessing is driving me crazy - but hey! - I am still reading it = hahaha!

This is quickly moving into the realm of the "cyber athletes" and professional gamers - why don't they just put a Cummings Diesel on it and get it over with. I think I am losing it - o well. For all we really know, it's probably solar powered, self-replicating, and some new kind of renewable resource. If it makes good coffee, I'm in!

Imagine trying to ggogle this a year from now, and getting all this speculative misinformation.

Excitement overload for just another little while. And then, the interpretations take over. Wow. (I have to go to work). :)

cyberfunk

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Thanks guys, i would normally wait to find out myself, but i wanted to get my rig before june 30 for tax purposes, then the card when its available.

I think im going to go with the corsair PSU, many thanks all.

Cyb

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

No doubt a VX550 has enough 12V amperage, but it doesn't have 4 6pin PEG connectors. Molex -> PEG adapters should work, but they're kind of a hassle and that doesn't leave you with much room for other components. I just recommended those 750W monsters because they're the only ones with enough connectors; power wise they're way overkill.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
So possibly a 610watt PCP&C Silencer might be able to do 2 4870s in crossfire? That changes my whole mindset on what I'm going to do for my graphics set up.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Sure, the 610W PCP&C model has a whopping 49A +12V rail. From the speculated 150-160W TDP we can assume that the 4870s will draw ~13A each. So that leaves you with 23A for the rest of your components. Unless you overclock the bejesus out of everything you should be OK with that PSU.