Sign in with
Your question

Silicon Image 3512 SATA RAID Windows Setup no repair option

Last response: in Storage
September 20, 2009 9:03:06 PM

I have a card with an SiI3512 chip. I swapped my disk pair from standard to RAID1 (Mirrored). I expected that I would have to then run windows setup and repair windows XP.

I got the most recent RAID drivers from Silicon Image and as I have no A: drive, I created an XP boot disk with the drivers built onto it (using NLITE).

When I boot into Windows Setup, it loads the S3112R for the card (as it is, I guess, the same chip) and can see the SATA RAID controller. It can also see that there is a disk available, but the disk shows as "0 bytes free".

The only available option is a wipe and re-install of the partition. However, this will take me a very long time.

I would expect to see the "Repair" option in Windows, but it is not there.

It seems to me that windows setup can see the disk controller and the raid array, but cannot read the "raid image" on the drive. Instead, it thinks that the drive is full with one huge file. I cannot find any examples of this on the Internet and I have tried all the different drivers from the Silicon Image site.

I've read the FAQ on here about switching to RAID on an existing installation, but that doesn't seem to cover this.

I cannot think of anything else, and I do not want to wipe the disks, because, I admit, my backups are 2 weeks old! :(  Any help would be greatly appreciated...! :) 
a b G Storage
September 20, 2009 9:15:45 PM

ummm if you came from 2 hdd to a RAID1 setup it would have wiped whatever was on the two hdd's to make that RAID1
September 20, 2009 9:21:39 PM

No, RAID1 is not destructive for both drives - I used a configuration option that mirrored the first drive onto the second.

If I boot from the raid array, it loads shows the windows loading page and does a BSOD after a few seconds, I assume because the RAID driver is not available in windows. This means that windows is installed and windows has a driver that can see the hard drive, I assume, or enough of it to start the load process.
!