Sign in with
Your question

Core2 Extreme QX6850 P5N-D 4 gig Ram

Last response: in Overclocking
April 18, 2009 12:28:18 AM

I have a P5N-D motherboard
, a core 2 Extreme QX6850 CPU. My Bios is up to date and running 4 gigs crucial ram. In the Bios there is a feature that you can pick to overclock,5,10,15 and 20%. The book says that all parameters will be changed depending on which percent you use to keep it stable. I can only get to 5%. Anything more and it fails to post and i go back to 5%.
Any suggestion
May 29, 2009 7:05:23 PM

Hi

I have a P5N-D as well. You need to set up you're OC manually and this board does have good OC capabilities if you have the right touch. Change the AI Tuning option to manual to unlock the other features (i think you did that already). You can try this one of two ways, linked/synced or unlinked mode. Linked/synced is the easiest but you'll lose mem MHz, I prefer unlinked mode. This way you can crank up the CPU & mem. Below are some features you can safely disable for better performance unless you need it for a specific task.

Spread Spectrum Control: All Disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal=Disabled
Enhanced C1(C1E)=Disabled
CPU C State Capability=Disabled
Execute Disable Bit=Disabled
Virtualization Technology=Disabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology=Disabled
May 29, 2009 10:55:07 PM

I have all that you mentioned disabled and I am unlinked
How far can I crank CPU up? Should I move up the multiplier as I am at 10 now.
I also added a 850 w power source along with 4gig OCZ Fatl1ty-one gaming ram with a Radeon HD 4890 card.
Could you tell me where to start voltage on NB and CPUVTT.
Any info would help.
I have gone over the overclocking guide. I think you could help me more.
Let know what some of your settings are for a starting point.
Related resources
May 29, 2009 10:57:15 PM

Thanks for your help
May 29, 2009 11:25:28 PM

As you probably know OCing is kind of a personal thing between you and your board, to many variables. I'll post my voltage below but I run them high. The norm for this board (OC) is 1.50v for the NB, SB (maybe 1.60v), and 1.2V HT. I run my VTT on auto Setting, set any of these setting to 1.60v at your own risk. I checked your CPU out, nice by the way, your multiplier is unlocked correct? If so my OC skills are not good enough to help you with that, most of the people I have dealt with have a locked multiplier. Beyond this I don't know how much more I can help you, its trial and error time, good luck.

Overvoltage:
VCore=?
1.2V HT=1.60v
NB Chip=1.60v
SB Chip=1.60v

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA...
!