ngwil1

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
This may sound like a daft question for some of you more experienced at builds... but being quite new to this i am not sure how to address this problem. Basically i have just put together a rig that contains 2 x 8800gt 512mb, 3 x 90mm case fans and the usual hdd, cd rom etc. now my question is how do i go about providing power to these it seems i do not have enough 12v plugs for them all, ie 1 for hdd, 1 for each cd/dvd rom drive, fans, and my graphic card manual says 2 for each card... what do i do, get more? a different psu? help...

Hmmm. Did you check to make sure that your PSU is certified by nvidia to run the 2 cards you bought, before you bought them? Most modern PSU's will have the correct PCIe plugs and wiring. My PSU is three years old and it has 2 PCIe wired plugs.

PCIe plug:
pcie8.jpg

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Most sites selling PSUs now will list all of the connectors that come on their units. With so many different requirements (especially true with multi GPU setups), you really need to make sure you're getting the right PSU for your application.

Your 8800's should have came with adapter plugs that will allow you to tap into any of your 12 volt connections. However, if you do not have any extra unused connections hanging loose, I'd say your PSU is not going to be of enough power and amps to run both of them. Can you post the type and specs of your current PSU, we can then let you know for sure if you need to purchase a new PSU.