Last time I changed out a processor (was some years ago)

jammybstard

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Last time I changed out a processor (was some years ago)
I'm about to upgrade my CPU in my laptop.
I've aquired a new processor and I'm happy with compatibility and all that.

HP Compaq nx7400 laptop

Current processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5600

New Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7400

Last time I changed out a processor (some years ago) I had to change many settings in the BIOS. I get the impression that in recent years you don't have to do this. The CPU settings are detected, and that all I have to do is pull the old processor out and stick the new one in.

Would I be right in thinking this?

So this laptop will accept that CPU? Same socket and everything? If so then yes your thinking is correct. Most BIOS now a days are very advanced and will detect a CPU thats supported right away no BIOS tweaking needed.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007

jammybstard

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008

I thought I had checked it out. I was going by http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...support/SupportManual/c01035648/c01035648.pdf
Page 121

Am I wrong?

jammybstard

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I guess I can but try then.

If i'm updating the BIOS, I guess I get it from here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...1847094&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2096#120

I guess I use the: HPQFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (68YGU) - Microsoft Windows/Vista-Based type.
And run the update in windows.

The version numbers are odd though, my current BIOS version in 1.41 (going-in on startup) but the HP web site lists the current version as F.0C Does this mean anything to anyone?

jammybstard

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008

If a swiss army knife and few handy kitchen utensils are your only tools this is very true.

But I've dissmantled a few laptops before, including this one and never had a problem. I do similar stuff at work. but this is my first processor change in a long time, and the first time I'll be doing it on a healthy working machine.

I'd still like any feed back about my previous post please.

jammybstard

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008

Ignore the above, I've worked out the BIOS thing.

So I upgraded the BIOS restarted the machine and everything was hunky dory left the machine running and went away for a couple of hours and returned to find it sat in "startup repair"
"Your computer was unable to start
Startup Repair is checking for problems"

Now WTF do you suppose happened there?!?

jammybstard

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Well the Startup repair thing is still a mistry, everything seems fine since, might have been pure coincidence!

The CPU Upgrades been done, it took about 20 minuits to do and it just dropped in and worked easy (almost too easy).
And the case is back together perfectly!

It does make a very noticible difference in performance actually, better than I was expecting.

Cheers for all your help