Sign in with
Your question

Xigmatek Cooler? Thermal paste?

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2008 11:37:54 PM

Hey guys.

Just about to buy a Xigmatek HDT-SD964 and a tube of Arctic Cooling MX-2 for my Q6600. I plan on overclocking to ~3.3 GHz. See my signature for my configuration.

Just a few questions...

1. Is this the best cooler for the price/my configuration? (note that I have a m-ATX mini tower, and thus need an HSF that measures less than 14 cm tall and less than ~11-12cm wide) I was also looking at the HDT-S963, but this is supposed to cool a bit better.

2. Is this the best thermal paste for this configuration? (I don't want to have to deal with the 200-hour burn-in for Arctic Silver 5)

3. Is it better to put a drop of thermal paste in the middle of the HSF base or scrape a thin, even layer on? What is the best way to apply thermal paste?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
June 4, 2008 12:22:32 AM

I've also read many recommend putting a thin short line of thermal compound on each heat pipe on the bottom of the xigmatech (which is how I did it recently).
Related resources
June 4, 2008 12:49:29 AM

Heatpipe Direct Touch coolers do not spread the thermal paste like a regular heatsink. This is due to the gaps between the heatpipes which capture the paste. The best method is to apply the thermal paste directly to the heatpipes in thin short lines. This guide shows how to get the best coverage:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

First, fill in the gaps with thermal paste. This is to allow better spreading. Then, apply two thin lines on the cooler as shown.

Alternately, you can skip filling in the gaps and put a very thin line on each heatpipe. When you attach the heatsink the three lines will spread out and the excess will find its way into the gaps. This may not be the best method.
February 8, 2009 10:24:39 PM

I agree with the above poster here, I have read the same method of applying thermal paste for that kind of heat sink gives the best results.
Anonymous
February 9, 2009 12:03:08 AM

i'm going with the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 matched with the q6600 and Arctic Silver 5. i was wondering about how to apply the thermal paste also. has anyone seen a video on the best method? and what's this 200 hour burn in stuff?
February 9, 2009 10:57:54 AM

Quote:
i'm going with the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 matched with the q6600 and Arctic Silver 5. i was wondering about how to apply the thermal paste also. has anyone seen a video on the best method? and what's this 200 hour burn in stuff?

Something to think about.... the Arctic Cooling MX thermal paste is "non conductive" where as the Arctic Silver 5 is conductive. Just something to think about.
!