Sign in with
Your question

Partition Magic 8 problem...C drive is now locked

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2009 12:33:34 AM

I'm using a Win2000 computer with three harddrives, a 40GB, 80GB, and a 250GB (SATA). I just tried to resize one of the partitions (there were two) on the 250GB SATA drive. My C drive is on the 40GB drive and boots up from that drive.

I ran the resizing operation using Partition Magic 8 and it said it would reboot the computer as part of the operation. It rebooted and then started the resizing in Dos. I went away for a while and when I came back the computer was stopped on a black screen with some nonsensical letters in the upper left corner. The letters were as follows: a symbol of a horizontal bar and an equals sign attached to it, then N, then R, then an elongated heart symbol, then U, then S, then T.

After a while I tried to reboot, but the computer stops on this strange word. I booted with Hirens boot CD, and checked the different hard drives and partitions and everything seems to be there except that I can't access the C drive. One program said that the C drive couldn't be accessed because it was locked.

I'm guessing that Partition Magic locked the drive as it was working and then something happened to the operation and the result is what I described.

Can anyone suggest a way to get my C drive back so I can get running again.

John
a b G Storage
September 21, 2009 11:58:22 AM

Download and burn GParted. It's another partition manager.
Also get partition recovery software if you can't fix it with GParted.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 21, 2009 12:00:59 PM

Always make a backup, before you do any major operation on a hard drive.
That way you can restore the computer to the way it was if there is a problem.
m
l
September 25, 2009 10:49:27 PM

I fixed the problem by running Partition Table Doctor, and its Check Properties option showed the boot sector was damaged, so I used it's FixBoot choice. That got me to a partial boot with a blue screen and something about not being able to run a device driver from Avira Antivir, a program I hadn't used for a year. I was able to boot in Safe Mode and uninstall this program and then got a normal bootup

Problem fixed, so glad it wasn't a locked hard drive...
m
l
!