I have been building another pc.

Amd am2 5000 cpu
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
2 gig corsair ddr2 800
750w AlphaPower psu
nvidia 6800
320 gig sata hdd
antec soho case

The problem is that when i turn the system on everything powers up. cpu fan,case fans, hdd, gfx fan and roms but i get no picture or beeps to say what the problem is. i have booted without the gfx and memory in but still no beeps. the monitor works as i still have my old system running on it. everything is new. I have built loads of systems before but never had this. just wondering if the mobo is dead?

Mondoman

Splendid
A few things to check:
1) That PS seems like an el cheapo quality-wise.
2) Did you connect all 3 power cables to the MB (main 24-pin, square 4-pin CPU, and elongated 4-pin Molex near other corner of CPU)?
3) The MB doesn't seem to have a built-in speaker, so you won't hear any beeps unless you connect a case speaker (or other speaker) to the 2 speaker pins on the appropriate MB header.

PhatnaX

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hello thanks for the reply.
Have used these psu's before.
the molex at the bottom of the cpu is for the pci express ports when you have sli. tryed it with it in but still no luck.
i have the case speaker wired up and its still not beeping.

PhatnaX

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Even if it was a crap psu it should still be enough power to get the mobo to beep to fing out problems if it powering the fans through the mobo.

Mondoman

Splendid
A defective PS (as opposed to low-quality, which is what I assume you mean by crap) could certainly have enough working circuits to power fans but not to boot the MB. Easy enough to check - just try a different PS.

kite212

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
my friend just had that mobo and it died, and i mean died, if stuff is booting i would look at other things besides the mobo, and what bios are you running, i found with the newest ones i had to flash it twice

PhatnaX

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

how do you flash a mobo that wont boot?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
If you are having trouble with current Gigabyte boards, I recommend going to tweaktown.com where they have a Gigabyte forum to provide free technical support for their motherboards, graphics cards and other products!

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

I had memory timing issues on my P35-DS3L that I could not resolve and posted on their board and got a response within 2 hours - on the 4th of July. There are several moderators - if you get lsdmeasap, tell him hello for me. He was a lifesaver for me. Helped me tweak memory timings to make my memory work properly.

PhatnaX

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I had me figures crossed the mobo hadn't fecked the cpu and everything up but they are ok. thanks for the link rockyjohn.