SpeedStep on/off = Same Power used

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
This deals with Core i7 systems only as far as I know.

1) Speedstep ON vs Speedstep OFF yields EXACTLY the same wattage used by your system.

2) With speedstep enabled, CPU-Z, Core Temp, and Real Temp all agree in both idle and load states. When speedstep is disabled, all three programs can't seem to agree what speed your CPU is running at during idle state but they agree at load.

At idle state, CPU-Z will always see your system running roughly at full speed, Real Temp will see it slightly downclock, and Core Temp will see it bounce between a full downclock and full speed (along with idle/load wattage)

I tested my full system wattage at the outlet in both idle and load states with Speedstep on and off. There isn't a bit of difference of power used.

Speedstep on
Idle: 148W
Load: 313W

Speedstep off

Could this mean that Speedstep is lurking in the shadows and eerily downclocking your system without you knowing or without your monitoring programs properly reading it?

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
To see your correct speed try CPU-Tweaker core temp or Everest they seem to show the correct speeds.

SSspeeds.png

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Okay, so speedstep is doing it's thing even without being enabled and certain programs can't read it correctly? If it's working even when disabled, that would explain the same power usage.

And how did you get to 4Ghz on 1.136V? Are you 24hr Prime stable on that?

Speedstep on

Speedstep off

There is no conclusion you can draw from this, except your processor draws 313 watts at full power, and 148 watts at idle. Speedstep has no bearing on the facts you have stated. Think about for a while and then post back if you don't understand why.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003

No, my system draws 313W at full power. Not just my processor. Speedstep is supposed to be a power-saving function. So where's the power savings?

I was bringing to attention that either speedstep offers no power savings or the processor downclocks (or does something speedstep-like) regardless of it being disabled, thus, saving just as much power.

So enlighten me...without being a total douche.