cannot boot desktop pc

swair_xp

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
i cannot boot my desktop pc,everytime i press the power button it coninuously starts beeping and the vga also has no feed.
tried looking up for bios beep codes but no use, using phoenix bios,if some one can help .please let me know.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

Buy a POST (Power Up Self Test) card that goes in your PCI slot. When you try to power up the PC it will go thou different numbers on a led screen (on the card it self) as the system gos thou it's POST. You look at the number the POST card stops on then look up that number in the book that came with the POST card and it will tell you what device failed during boot up preventing your system to boot.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

That sounds like a pretty interesting device. However I think it would not work at all if there is a problem with the video controller, and not be able to see anything on the monitor. :)
I haven't found any of those cards that come with their own LCD except for ones that come with the motherboard. Links?

You sound like you are guessing. Any reason why you suggest memory?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

As LCD I ment LED screen my bad, I was talking about old skool led the ones you see on alarm clocks where the sticks make up the numbers. My board has one built in too. I heard about the PCI version in a computer tech class dunno where to buy them never looked.

I think njalterio has the first and most likely suggestion; the graphics card has a power connector on it that is not connected. What are the specs on this system? Has it ever worked, or is this a new build being powered up for the first time?

obiwan05

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
what are the beeps codes being produced? I'd agree, either a bad ram stick (try 1 stick at a time if you have more than one) or video card but the beep codes should indicate which.

Yes, a specific limited number of beeps is an error code. Continuous beeping could be no power to the video card. Or perhaps another sort of alarm.

Check power cord to the video card and then take out and re-seat the video card and the RAM before you assume anything else!

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

yep. ram not being fully inserted can cause the system to not boot.