Another silly 3570k question

gimli9

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
ive posted a few questions very similar to this. im still skeptical though and am having a hard time choosing. im either getting the 2500k or the 3570k. I will be gaming and thats just about it. I might OC and if i do it will be slight to maybe 4ghz or 4.2ghz. i need help choosing. if i get the 3570k i will be buying an aftermarket cooler. although if i get the 2500k and OC to those numbers would an aftermarket cooler be necessary. Ive read that the 3570k is noticably faster in some games and such. My concerns are getting the 2500k and not OCing and wishing id gotten the 3570k or wanting to OC the 3570k slightly and it getting hotter than im comfortable with. Just throw out suggestions with some solid reasoning plz! =D

In the battle between the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and the Intel Core i5-3570K the Intel Core i5-3570K is better in every way except for top of the line overclocking speed. Even in that the performance of the Intel Core i5-3570K is fairly close to the Intel Core i5-2500K due to IPC improvements that are common to the 3rd generation Intel Core processors.

Here are a couple key points in the Intel Core i5-3570K favor:
-PCI-E 3.0 support
-Native USB 3.0
-Better IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor)
-Tri-gate give better performance with less power (without using the IGP think that you will get around a 6% performance increase at the same speed).

In the end you can equal out the performance you would with a good overclocking Intel® Core™ i5-2500K without overclocking the Intel Core i5-3570K as much.

InvalidError

Titan

Probably not going to be absolutely necessary (at least not initially) for 4GHz but doesn't hurt.

I personally would get a 212+ or 212EVO simply not to have to worry about high temperatures softening/deforming the plastic retention mechanism and causing the CPU-heatsink contact to fail 2-3 years down the road.

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
It really doesn't matter. If gaming is your thing then both are more than fast enough, and your system will be bottlenecked by the the GPU. Particularly if you overclock to ~ 4.2.

Whichever you get, you will see absolutely no difference whatsoever. However, in CPU limited situations (which almost never applies in games), the 3570K will be marginally faster at a given clockspeed.

The newer CPU has one tangible advantage: slightly better power consumption.

Given this, it's really not a choice worth agonising over. So why not just get the newer one? Note that PCIe 3 is virtually irrelevant because the bandwidth of PCIe 2 has not yet been exhausted.

If you're going to overclock, it's advisable to get an after market cooler, but at the clockspeeds you're talking about it's probably not necessary.

larkspur

Distinguished
gimli - Get the 3570k and an aftermarket cooler such as what is mentioned above. Even when you aren't OCing, the aftermarket cooler will keep your temps lower. Lower temps = Longer potential lifespan of CPU. A conservative OC is very easy with either SB or IB and you might as well set up to OC right at the beginning rather than worrying about it later. Get the good cooler now and save yourself headaches later.

InvalidError

Titan

With the amount of performance the Hyper 212 in either + or EVO flavor bring at the $30 aftermarket HSF price point, going aftermarket off-the-bat for peace of mind should be an easy choice to make for anyone genuinely worried about long-term reliability.

After discovering the 212+, I'm probably going to start using it as a de-facto standard even if only for the peace-of-mind factor of knowing the HSF is bolted down with all-steel retention mechanism instead of deformable plastic frame and push-pins.

InvalidError

Titan

$10.99 standard price?!?! Yikes. At that price, I'd stock 2-3 for my friends if I could walk over to buy 'em.
$0.99 after MiR is just plain nuts, there must be a mistake somewhere.

And it doesn't show that it's and In Store only deal, either (at least it doesn't say it for me).

gimli9

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
so ive gathered that for gaming they are both basically the same unless OCing to high values (which i wont be). at the values i wanted to OC to a aftermarket cooler isnt necessary but its good to have. Im thinking buying the 3570k now and waiting a few months to buy an aftermarket cooler and then start OCing a little.