That video card costs more or less in your country? Wait a minute.

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
Hey folks. I see a lot of threads in which someone will say "Dammit this card is too expensive" or "This card has a great price," then someone from another country will say "Well, we pay way more in my country so stop whining/rejoicing."

Unfortunately this is not an appropriate way of comparing prices. You can't say, for example, that because a product costs $100 in the US and $150 AUD in Australia, that the Australians are getting shafted for having to pay the equivalent of $143.01 American dollars for the same product (using a nominal exchange rate).

What you have to do is use what is called a real exchange rate (RER), which incorporates the nominal exchange rate with purchasing power differences between countries. The nominal exchange rate alone cannot capture these differences. The equation is pretty simple: P2(e)/P1, where e= the exchange rate for Country 1 into country 2 currency, P1= the price of the product in country 1, and P2= the price of the product in Country 2. If your answer is '1' , then they are on par, anything else is an actual difference in price.

So, let's say the rate of exchange between Country 1 and Country 2 is 1= 1.36. In country 1 the price for the product is 3.40 of their currency and in Country 2 it is 2.5 of their currency. Geez, seems like Country 1 is getting screwed because if you converted that price into Country 2 currency it would be 3.4*1.36= 4.624. Wow what a bad deal! Country 1 pays the equivalent of 4.624 of country 2's currency for the product, when Country 2 only pays 2.5 of their currency for the same product!

But calculate using the RER: 2.5 * 1.36 /3.4 = 1. In actuality, when taking into account purchasing power, the two country's are paying exactly the same for that product.

I know this isn't going to stop people on this board from using the old 'oh yeah, it costs this much in my country' complaint or make people start calculating real exchange rates, but I hope maybe some of you can see that a comparison using the simple nominal exchange rate is B.S. and should be interpreted accordingly.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Usually when someone makes that argument I have often thought the same as you, but never really cared to explain it as I didnt feel it would take to well here. That and the two years in college that I spent reading nothing but economics (when I was an eco major before switching to MIS) gave me just about all the economics that I needed. Alas, good example and point, but I fear just as you do...that it just wont take.

Best,

3Ball

America and Switzerland and a few more industrialized nations have the highest standards of living.
Average hourly labor rate is very low in many Asian countries.
The rising value of the Euro is changing a few things.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Clearly did not understand the OP example! Alas...I digress!

Best,

3Ball

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure you Aussies do have to pay more, but you can't make that argument without using the real exchange rate ratio. Well you can, but it would be silly.

alfrido

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I'll read it later but if you must know. In my country a Video card or any pc hardware goes for 100% the price they really sell in the states.

It's really hard to compare, there are too many factors to keep track of. For example a video card might cost more in France than in Canada, but a programmer in France gets 6 weeks of vacation a year to play with it while the Canadian gets 2 for the first several years of work and then 3 for the rest of his life.

Do you mean 100% more, as in twice as much?

LOL, never visited Reykjavik myself, but I have visited London and it was scary indeed. Books were like 3 times more than at Amazon.ca, PC games about twice as much as in Canada, etc. Still, if you're in the UK and shop around online you can find some decent prices IMO.

Ok so get this then ,
I just used your equation and worked out the real cost of exactly the same card in the UK and the USA.
Can you guess what i found. We are according to your equation getting screwed worse than we thought we were.
In USD the card costs 199 I'm sticking with whole numbers its just easier.
In GBP the same card costs 138.
Now if you convert from USD to GBP you get 101. Now here's the interesting bit if you convert the other way GBP to USD you get 271 USD.
So we are paying 37 GBP too much and the USA are getting the card effectively 72 USD cheaper than they should.
Please feel free to tell me where i have gone wrong I'm not an economist so i may have it wrong.

Exchange rate taken from a brokers site 1.965.
Mactronix

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008

Yeah you are correct, the real exchange rate formula is better than just comparing nominal exchange rates, but it too is a simplified representation of reality (i.e. - a model) that doesn't capture all the different variables that go into international trade dynamics, and prices don't always capture the ever elusive concept of value. I still think its silly to claim someone is paying way more or way less of something without even trying to take into account anything other than the price and exchange rate, which people do non-stop here.

Fair point. without taxes on either side the US are still getting it 34 USD cheaper than they should according to ScooterLibby's equation and the UK are paying 17 GBP more than they should.
Just goes to show how much differance the various things can make.
ScooterLibby has a point with what he/she is saying but it just dosent work in the real world. The grass is always greener on teh other side, right :)
Mactronix

Right. Besides, there are much better examples than PC hardware. I mentioned books already (12 GBP for a paperback that's $8 in the US, ouch). Food is also a lot more in the UK. And don't get me started on the price of gas... Here in North America we are in a panic because it's approaching $1.5/liter, but I hear it's a lot more than that in Europe.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I understand what you are saying that the exchange rate is by no means conclusive of actual price paid but im not too interested in the specifics. I pay less for getting most stuff (gpus's especially) sent from the states then I do here in NZ - period. That is all I care about in the end as what other people have to pay or how hard they have to work for a dollar does not really bare on me too much.