Sign in with
Your question

Hector Ruiz Steps Down \ TheStreet: AMD's Massive Losses Motor Along

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2008 9:25:19 PM

http://www.examiner.com/a-1492728~AMD_CEO_steps_down_as...

Quote:
AMD CEO steps down as chip maker struggles
Jul 17, 2008 5:14 PM (23 mins ago) AP
» 23 mins ago: AMD CEO steps down as chip maker struggles «
Filed under: SAN FRANCISCO , AMD CEO

SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - The CEO of chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is stepping down.

Hector Ruiz had been just the second person to lead AMD after company founder Jerry Sanders. He'll be replaced by the chip maker's No. 2 executive, Dirk Meyer.

Ruiz has been instrumental in elevating AMD to become a more dangerous rival to Intel Corp. But ultimately he takes the blame for AMD's financial distress. The Silicon Valley company has racked up billions of dollars in losses stemming from an ill-timed acquisition and fierce competition from Intel.

Ruiz will remain on AMD's board of directors, where he had been chairman. His new title will be executive chairman.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/amds-massive-losses-motor-al...

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- Advanced Micro Devices(AMD - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) reported another massive loss in the second quarter, as hefty charges and sluggish sales weighed the company down.

The results included an $880 billion(sic, probably meant million) writedown to the company's' consumer electronics business, announced last week. AMD said Thursday that it was divesting itself of the business, though it provided no details on whether the business was being sold to another company.

Share of AMD fell more than 6% in recent after-hours trading to $4.95.

The Sunnyvale, Calif., chipmaker posted a loss of $1.19 billion, or $1.96 a share, vs. a loss of $600 million, or $1.09 cents at this time last year.

Analysts were expecting a loss of 52 cents a share, excluding certain charges.

AMD's total revenue in the three months ended June 28 totaled $1.38 billion, up 0.5% year-over-year, and below the average analyst expectation of $1.45 billion.

Despite a "disappointing" financial quarter, AMD CFO Bob Rivet said customer adoption of new microprocessor and graphics chips have been strong and said the company was seeing increasing momentum across its businesses.

"In the face of challenging macroeconomic conditions, we remain committed to achieving operating profitability in the second half of the year based on the continued ramp of new products, increased market penetration of our differentiated solutions, and continued actions designed to reduce our breakeven point," Rivet said.

AMD said its microprocessor sales were flat year-over-year, and down 8% sequentially.

The second quarter marked the first three months in which AMD fielded its long-delayed Barcelona microprocessor for corporate servers. Earlier this week, AMD rival Intel(INTC - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) reported a 25% increase in net income, with double-digit increases in sales of PC and server micorprocessors.

The company's graphics revenue, which includes graphics processors as well as video game console royalty revenue, was up 18% year-over-year and down 5% sequentially.

Revenue in the consumer electronics business, which makes chips for cell phones and digital TVs, declined 46% to $37 million, with an operating loss of $42 million.

Excluding the results of the consumer electronics business, AMD said it posted an operating loss of $143 million in the second quarter.

The company's gross margin was 52% excluding the discontinued business operations.

The company said it expects revenue to increase in line with seasonality in the current quarter, but didn't provide specific financial guidance. AMD is scheduled to host a conference post-earnings conference call with analysts Thursday.
July 17, 2008 9:30:18 PM

So without the charges it looks like a loss of 310 Million. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AMD continues to bleed. Seems a lot has to do with its highest binning processors going for $200 dollars.
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2008 9:34:01 PM

Bears repeating! :)  - "Hector Ruiz Quits As CEO of AMD Effective Immediately! Dirk Meyer now CEO. Hector will hang around to fight Intel and do "Asset Light"

Good riddance I say - his 'marketshare at all costs' may have proven to be the death of AMD.
July 17, 2008 9:52:19 PM

Well let's hope, for the sake of future Intel pricing, they turn it around.
July 17, 2008 9:56:37 PM

Damn ...
I take a week off from reading hardware news and everything goes to hell. :) 
It's a good thing NVIDIA pricedrops had no effect on local pricing yet.
I better buy that AMD graphics card fast and keep it unopened for historic sampling ... :D 
July 17, 2008 9:56:45 PM

they seem to have forgotten that performance still sells...not "system balance" karma crap.

Sure they cant match intel, but when they can get beat by chips that cost 200 and win by 25-60 percent, that is too much of a disadvantage to overcome with warm fuzzy talk.

Before you say comment about my amd cpu, my mobo blew up 3 days ago, the day i got my 640 wd..MOTHERf&&&&*R...lol. If ECS doesen't replace it, it's Intelabyte combo 4 me :D 
July 17, 2008 10:02:35 PM

I think I see feeding frenzy coming. :pfff: 
July 17, 2008 10:05:32 PM

Zorg said:
I think I see feeding frenzy coming. :pfff: 

I don't think even Kassler, Baron, or Thunderman could spin this.
July 17, 2008 10:13:24 PM

Nope, we all knew it was coming.

Just be nice. :lol: 

Although they might say, "With Hector gone AMD is in a great position to kick Intel's butt." :lol: 
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2008 10:16:24 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
So without the charges it looks like a loss of 310 Million. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AMD continues to bleed. Seems a lot has to do with its highest binning processors going for $200 dollars.

From http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38457/118/: "AMD posted what the company called yet another “disappointing” quarter. The company reported AMD revenue of $1.309 billion and a loss of $1.189 billion, including an impairment charge relating to the ATI acquisition of $920 million. The loss from continuing operations was $269 million. The result also included $190 million of proceeds from the sale of 200 mm production equipment, indicating that AMD’s loss without these gains would have been closer to $450 million. "

So it doesn't look like the B3 stepping helped much in the 2nd quarter. Of course the 48XX GPUs are too recent but should help in Q3.

Don't think AMD is going to achieve 'operational break-even' this quarter either...
July 17, 2008 10:19:22 PM

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
July 17, 2008 10:26:48 PM

Dirk Meyer = next body by the side of the road...

He really is in an unenviable position, though if things work out he "could" come out smelling like roses...
July 17, 2008 10:32:50 PM

azfj60 said:
Dirk Meyer = next body by the side of the road...

He really is in an unenviable position, though if things work out he "could" come out smelling like roses...

He may be in a good position actually, it's hard to set the bar lower, so if AMD makes ANY progress, he looks good !

July 17, 2008 10:34:06 PM

Hey guys...do you think the "telephone" ad he did was a sign, or the straw that screwed him...lol ?
July 17, 2008 10:34:20 PM

Although BaronMatrix posted some of the most blood boiling BS I've ever seen spewed onto the interweb, I must admit this place has gotten kinda boring in his absence.

Back on topic: The CEO is dead, long live the CEO!
July 17, 2008 11:05:37 PM

Zorg said:
Nope, we all knew it was coming.

Just be nice. :lol: 

Although they might say, "With Hector gone AMD is in a great position to kick Intel's butt." :lol: 

Only problem is that Hector is still in the building. Its makes me wonder if the change is more a case of musical chairs than real change about who running the place, into the ground that is.

Still, I did my part. I ordered a 4870 card, so if things go to pieces, its not like I stood by and did nothing. Now if they could only come out with the SB750 chipset and a good Phenom to put into it, I might be tempted to buy that also. Nah, that's dreaming a bit too much.
July 17, 2008 11:08:21 PM

save us thunderman! make me believe in AMD again :'( 
July 17, 2008 11:23:50 PM

homerdog said:
Although BaronMatrix posted some of the most blood boiling BS I've ever seen spewed onto the interweb, I must admit this place has gotten kinda boring in his absence.

Back on topic: The CEO is dead, long live the CEO!

No wonder I stopped posting. According to you anything that gives AMD the same benefit of the doubt as Intel is blasphemy.

Atom: barely available
Centrino 2: delayed due to WiFi
Nehalem: only desktop
140W dual core
class-action level graphics

It's a shame really. AMDs biggest problem was that they should have stopped dropping prices at some point. They now need to cancel all of those $50 chips. Turion Ultra is worth much more at the same clock speed because of low wattage.
July 17, 2008 11:30:20 PM

http://www.examiner.com/a-1492728~AMD_CEO_steps_down_as...

Quote:
AMD CEO steps down as chip maker struggles
Jul 17, 2008 5:14 PM (23 mins ago) AP
» 23 mins ago: AMD CEO steps down as chip maker struggles «
Filed under: SAN FRANCISCO , AMD CEO

SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - The CEO of chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is stepping down.

Hector Ruiz had been just the second person to lead AMD after company founder Jerry Sanders. He'll be replaced by the chip maker's No. 2 executive, Dirk Meyer.

Ruiz has been instrumental in elevating AMD to become a more dangerous rival to Intel Corp. But ultimately he takes the blame for AMD's financial distress. The Silicon Valley company has racked up billions of dollars in losses stemming from an ill-timed acquisition and fierce competition from Intel.

Ruiz will remain on AMD's board of directors, where he had been chairman. His new title will be executive chairman.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/amds-massive-losses-motor-al...

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- Advanced Micro Devices(AMD - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) reported another massive loss in the second quarter, as hefty charges and sluggish sales weighed the company down.

The results included an $880 billion(sic, probably meant million) writedown to the company's' consumer electronics business, announced last week. AMD said Thursday that it was divesting itself of the business, though it provided no details on whether the business was being sold to another company.

Share of AMD fell more than 6% in recent after-hours trading to $4.95.

The Sunnyvale, Calif., chipmaker posted a loss of $1.19 billion, or $1.96 a share, vs. a loss of $600 million, or $1.09 cents at this time last year.

Analysts were expecting a loss of 52 cents a share, excluding certain charges.

AMD's total revenue in the three months ended June 28 totaled $1.38 billion, up 0.5% year-over-year, and below the average analyst expectation of $1.45 billion.

Despite a "disappointing" financial quarter, AMD CFO Bob Rivet said customer adoption of new microprocessor and graphics chips have been strong and said the company was seeing increasing momentum across its businesses.

"In the face of challenging macroeconomic conditions, we remain committed to achieving operating profitability in the second half of the year based on the continued ramp of new products, increased market penetration of our differentiated solutions, and continued actions designed to reduce our breakeven point," Rivet said.

AMD said its microprocessor sales were flat year-over-year, and down 8% sequentially.

The second quarter marked the first three months in which AMD fielded its long-delayed Barcelona microprocessor for corporate servers. Earlier this week, AMD rival Intel(INTC - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) reported a 25% increase in net income, with double-digit increases in sales of PC and server micorprocessors.

The company's graphics revenue, which includes graphics processors as well as video game console royalty revenue, was up 18% year-over-year and down 5% sequentially.

Revenue in the consumer electronics business, which makes chips for cell phones and digital TVs, declined 46% to $37 million, with an operating loss of $42 million.

Excluding the results of the consumer electronics business, AMD said it posted an operating loss of $143 million in the second quarter.

The company's gross margin was 52% excluding the discontinued business operations.

The company said it expects revenue to increase in line with seasonality in the current quarter, but didn't provide specific financial guidance. AMD is scheduled to host a conference post-earnings conference call with analysts Thursday.

Dirk will bring AMD back to competitiveness, yah!!!

Word, Playa.
July 17, 2008 11:51:32 PM

BaronMatrix said:
No wonder I stopped posting. According to you anything that gives AMD the same benefit of the doubt as Intel is blasphemy.

140W dual core

It's a shame really. AMDs biggest problem was that they should have stopped dropping prices at some point. They now need to cancel all of those $50 chips. Turion Ultra is worth much more at the same clock speed because of low wattage.

Atom: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=atom Let's see 6 items, 5 available now for purchase.
Centrino 2: delayed, true - but wasn't a mainstream AMD product delayed too?
Nehalem: only desktop? Where is this article?
Here's a showing of both desktop and dual socket server boards at the last Computex.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/03/computex-2008-great-wall
140W Dual core? Where? I remember seeing a 140W Quad core released recently....
http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/AMD-launches-140W-and-65W-four-core-processors--/111035
class-action level graphics? For Vista-Capable again, I assume...which involves Microsoft, not Intel. Was Intel sued for it's graphics chip? Nope. Can you show us where Intel was named in the lawsuit? (tick, tock, tick, tock) All I saw was Microsoft claiming it (not Intel) lowered it's standards for Intel's 915 chipset. Nice try, though.

Shame you are back to your same tactics, again. Dipping the knife deep into the FUD jar again.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 18, 2008 12:02:17 AM

BaronMatrix said:

140W dual core

Atom: Just recently released and is aimed more at the UMPC market than the laptop market
Centrino 2: Delayed due to WiMAX not WiFi.
Nehalem: I don't see your point
140w dual core? um which one is that?
class-action level graphics...... um no Intels IGPs have always targeted the business end more than the consumer end. Henc how Intel gets a lot of sales in the business sector. You get the mobo, IGP and CPU all for less and it does what they need it to do.

AMDs biggest problem is they invested in the wrong areas. They bought ATI when they should have put more towards R&D and also more into new FABs so they can try to meet at least part of the demand for their chips. If you can't meet the demand and make people wait they will go to another place to get what they need. If AMD had built 1 or 2 more FABs they could be producing more Athlon X2s that use low power and make some money off them since the process was yeilding higher than Barcy.

Thats another problem. They got their heads too big and wanted to out do Intel instead of compete. So they went with monolithic quad on SOI @ 65nm and basically a brand new process that has horrible yeilds and then the performance didn't allow them to price them high enough to make any money. They could have created K10 duals and released those to compete with C2D and while they were doing that work on K10 quad so that it was a good chip with less problems.

But as I said AMDs ego got in the way and they did what was harder instead of what would have made sense.
July 18, 2008 12:06:33 AM

NMDante said:
Atom: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=atom Let's see 6 items, 5 available now for purchase.
Centrino 2: delayed, true - but wasn't a mainstream AMD product delayed too?
Nehalem: only desktop? Where is this article?
Here's a showing of both desktop and dual socket server boards at the last Computex.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/03/computex-2008-great-wall
140W Dual core? Where? I remember seeing a 140W Quad core released recently....
http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/AMD-launches-140W-and-65W-four-core-processors--/111035
class-action level graphics? For Vista-Capable again, I assume...which involves Microsoft, not Intel. Was Intel sued for it's graphics chip? Nope. Can you show us where Intel was named in the lawsuit? (tick, tock, tick, tock) All I saw was Microsoft claiming it (not Intel) lowered it's standards for Intel's 915 chipset. Nice try, though.

Shame you are back to your same tactics, again. Dipping the knife deep into the FUD jar again.

jimmysmitty said:
Atom: Just recently released and is aimed more at the UMPC market than the laptop market
Nehalem: I don't see your point
140w dual core? um which one is that?
class-action level graphics...... um no Intels IGPs have always targeted the business end more than the consumer end. Henc how Intel gets a lot of sales in the business sector. You get the mobo, IGP and CPU all for less and it does what they need it to do.

AMDs biggest problem is they invested in the wrong areas. They bought ATI when they should have put more towards R&D and also more into new FABs so they can try to meet at least part of the demand for their chips. If you can't meet the demand and make people wait they will go to another place to get what they need. If AMD had built 1 or 2 more FABs they could be producing more Athlon X2s that use low power and make some money off them since the process was yeilding higher than Barcy.

Thats another problem. They got their heads too big and wanted to out do Intel instead of compete. So they went with monolithic quad on SOI @ 65nm and basically a brand new process that has horrible yeilds and then the performance didn't allow them to price them high enough to make any money. They could have created K10 duals and released those to compete with C2D and while they were doing that work on K10 quad so that it was a good chip with less problems.

But as I said AMDs ego got in the way and they did what was harder instead of what would have made sense.

You foolish Inteler fanboy pumpers.

Don't you know that AMD has an IMC?

Dumbasses.

/thread
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 18, 2008 12:08:25 AM

^LMAO.

Hence why I love TC. Has a great sense of humor. If only all the AMD fans would realize its not bashing its seeing the truth. But the truth hurts. Like when I found out Superman was not real.....
July 18, 2008 1:20:51 AM

BaronMatrix said:

140W dual core

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
Welcome back mate :hello: 
July 18, 2008 2:06:13 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Considering that the Intel propaganda machine was touting the Atom for months and the fact that each individual wafer yields an enormous number of Atom processors there is no excuse for the supply shortage. Intel simply isn't making any attempt to produce them at the level they should.

As for Centrino 2, your argument makes no sense as WiFI and WiMAX are pretty much the same thing, just using a different wireless standard. Regardless, Centrino 2 was delayed because someone at Intel screwed up and didn't file the permit application for the wireless antennae will the FCC on time. Since a Centrino system by definition has to use an Intel wireless card it was necessary to wait until the permit came through instead of releasing the platform using a 3rd party wireless solution. Wait a minute... I thought Intel was supposed to be infallible...
July 18, 2008 2:34:58 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
Considering that the Intel propaganda machine was touting the Atom for months and the fact that each individual wafer yields an enormous number of Atom processors there is no excuse for the supply shortage. Intel simply isn't making any attempt to produce them at the level they should.

There are only two 45nm fabrication plant (in production status) in the world today, and in order to satisfy demands for quad cores, dual cores, Nehalem ramp, as well as the Atoms, I'm sure there will be shortage of supply. Not to mention that Atom is comparatively a low margin product, therefore I wouldn't expect Intel to dedicate much capacity to Atom.

As for Centrino 2, your argument makes no sense as WiFI and WiMAX are pretty much the same thing, just using a different wireless standard. Regardless, Centrino 2 was delayed because someone at Intel screwed up and didn't file the permit application for the wireless antennae will the FCC on time. Since a Centrino system by definition has to use an Intel wireless card it was necessary to wait until the permit came through instead of releasing the platform using a 3rd party wireless solution. Wait a minute... I thought Intel was supposed to be infallible... said:

As for Centrino 2, your argument makes no sense as WiFI and WiMAX are pretty much the same thing, just using a different wireless standard. Regardless, Centrino 2 was delayed because someone at Intel screwed up and didn't file the permit application for the wireless antennae will the FCC on time. Since a Centrino system by definition has to use an Intel wireless card it was necessary to wait until the permit came through instead of releasing the platform using a 3rd party wireless solution. Wait a minute... I thought Intel was supposed to be infallible...

Your comment about the main cause of Centrino 2's delay is the certification process is correct. However, as far as I know (which, I do not claim to be an engineer), WiFi and WiMax are not the same thing. They don't even share the same chip. The Montevina laptops that ship today will not contain WiMax chips, as it will not be available until September.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 18, 2008 2:45:04 AM

^What yomama said is correct. I have been closely following WiMAX and its a very different system from WiFi. It has greater bandwidth and range capabilities and also allows for more devices per port than WiFi. Yes its a different standard but in reality its a new standard. I don't even think its part of the 802. famil and is part of the 803.

As for Atom, I still don't see it as that big of a deal. If it was Nehalem then it would be major as that would casue them to loose more money than Atom since its their main bread and butter. Kinda like how AMD messed up with Phenom and had very low yeilds and couldn't fill the supply channels fast enough.

But as we speak Intel is starting to transform its 65nm plants into 45nm plants and should be ready by 2009.
July 18, 2008 4:33:25 AM

wow... while i agree he does spue bs from time to time [ok perhaps alot] ya'll couldn't wait for him to post something so you could dog pile him... so many so quick... did you start a thread at the other site notifying the barron hate club he had surfaced?

as for amd, shy of bk i think they're at rock bottom... you can only die, travel sideways or go up from there...

one thing i have noticed in the years i have been watching this drama unfold... everyone keeps saying amd should do this or that... if i were amd and i read all the pissing and moaning from everyone, i would ask if you had some unused revolutionary cheap flawless cpu architecture laying around you care to part with and when you could be expected to show up for work in the volunteer marketing department.... no? never? then STFU!

opinions are like as.... well you know... and everyone has one, this is mine... bunch of squabling children... seriously... wtf.
July 18, 2008 4:37:38 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^What yomama said is correct. I have been closely following WiMAX and its a very different system from WiFi. It has greater bandwidth and range capabilities and also allows for more devices per port than WiFi. Yes its a different standard but in reality its a new standard. I don't even think its part of the 802. famil and is part of the 803.

As for Atom, I still don't see it as that big of a deal. If it was Nehalem then it would be major as that would casue them to loose more money than Atom since its their main bread and butter. Kinda like how AMD messed up with Phenom and had very low yeilds and couldn't fill the supply channels fast enough.

But as we speak Intel is starting to transform its 65nm plants into 45nm plants and should be ready by 2009.

I believe WiMAX is standard 802.16e. Intel has been saying that their wireless solution will also support 802.11n so the hardware must be fairly closely related.

As for the Atom, you are correct about Intel having limitted 45nm capacity. The fact remains however that there is only a shortage because Intel is choosing to manufacture other processors instead of the Atom. It is true that Intel can make more profit by producing other chips that have higher margins, but by doing so they risk losing the entire UMPC market to VIA (whose Isiah chip has been shown to be far superior to the Atom), and possibly even to AMD (who is rumored to have a new UMPC chip in the works). You may say that Intel doesn't care about the UMPC market, but if that were the case then why did they invest likely 10's of millions of dollars developing and marketing the Atom if they don't even want to sell it? Seems like a major foul up to me.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 4:59:52 AM

Cya later AMD desimator...
a c 133 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 18, 2008 5:16:05 AM

Well maybe they will make up some ground of there HD48XX video cards. Those are damn good for the price, good enough to make Nvidia drop there prices.

I doubt we will see AMD die any time soon, they still do well in the value cpu segment.
July 18, 2008 6:30:26 AM

I just hope that AMD can now crawl back out of the value CPU segment and I'm a Intel fan...
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 6:45:59 AM

To put the right spin back on things after the blue boys have had their chuckle and wasted a gallon of hand cream ... you need to realise most of the AMD fans like myself have been hoping Hector was going to leave.

We could clearly see his classical management approach of "doing nothing" whilst accumulating more debt really wasn't getting them anywhere.

Dirk on the other hand is a real engineer with tons of experience on the front line and in the design office ... at home with those who produce the goods ... If he listens to the right people with the coke bottle glasses and the nervous twitches he might be miving in the right direction at last.

I can see that there will be immediate changes being taken at the company ... if not then they are doomed.

Analysts will expect a clear and quick response or stock prices will only move downward.

They need to shed quite a bit in wages for staff ... at a time when arguably they need them.

They need to upgrade aging fab tech with no money.

They need Deneb now and with a better IPC.

They need a marketing department that produces something other than a colored box and an F1 sponsorship.

I imagine like most of you I am waiting for something fast, positive, definitive and perhaps a little risky to happen next from AMD.

I wish Dirk all of the best and If he gets sent a copy of this I have one last bit of advice.

Fire half of Hector's pets and performance manage the rest.

Take no prisoners.

Good luck Dirk !!

July 18, 2008 7:00:46 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
I believe WiMAX is standard 802.16e. Intel has been saying that their wireless solution will also support 802.11n so the hardware must be fairly closely related.

WiMax standard IS 802.16e, and WiFi is 802.11n. You're both correct, but both have distinctive functions. That's like saying 802.11a and 802.11g is compatible, since they share the same "802".

According to Intel, WiMax solution will be integrated on to the WiFi card later this year, but both chips are not the same.

As for the Atom, you are correct about Intel having limitted 45nm capacity. The fact remains however that there is only a shortage because Intel is choosing to manufacture other processors instead of the Atom. It is true that Intel can make more profit by producing other chips that have higher margins, but by doing so they risk losing the entire UMPC market to VIA (whose Isiah chip has been shown to be far superior to the Atom), and possibly even to AMD (who is rumored to have a new UMPC chip in the works). You may say that Intel doesn't care about the UMPC market, but if that were the case then why did they invest likely 10's of millions of dollars developing and marketing the Atom if they don't even want to sell it? Seems like a major foul up to me. said:

As for the Atom, you are correct about Intel having limitted 45nm capacity. The fact remains however that there is only a shortage because Intel is choosing to manufacture other processors instead of the Atom. It is true that Intel can make more profit by producing other chips that have higher margins, but by doing so they risk losing the entire UMPC market to VIA (whose Isiah chip has been shown to be far superior to the Atom), and possibly even to AMD (who is rumored to have a new UMPC chip in the works). You may say that Intel doesn't care about the UMPC market, but if that were the case then why did they invest likely 10's of millions of dollars developing and marketing the Atom if they don't even want to sell it? Seems like a major foul up to me.

However, you seem to forget the fact that, while Isaiah is superior than Atom, it consumes about 4~20 times more energy than Atom (1~5W). Not to mention that Atom is likely more acceptable to the general market (Intel marketing), and it will likely be cheaper for OEMs to implement them (45nm vs. 65nm).

I agree that this Atom shortage does seem a little odd, but given that most major OEMs want a large shipment of Atom CPUs for their low-cost UMPCs. Just on top of my head, I can think of at least 6 OEMs with a lineup of UMPCs to offer (not to mention MIDs), and each would at least want 100,000 Atoms per quarter. That would be no small feat for Intel, especially their manufacturing priority is not Atom.
July 18, 2008 10:30:28 AM

Reynod said:
Dirk on the other hand is a real engineer with tons of experience on the front line and in the design office ... at home with those who produce the goods ... If he listens to the right people with the coke bottle glasses and the nervous twitches he might be miving in the right direction at last.

Very good point. I'm hopeful about this guy.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 12:57:06 PM

Reynod said:

I can see that there will be immediate changes being taken at the company ... if not then they are doomed.

Dirk was the team manger for some of the most important bits of AMD history. His team designed the Athlon 64... he's been an AMD'er since '95 and he's done pretty much all good... Hector is only being criticised today because of the amount of pounding the Phenoms' taking... don't forget Hector kinda was there in the glory days too!

Anyways I think we should all be abit fairer towards Hector

*looks at what AMD's been up to*

maybe not...

The problem with Hector was that he didn't listen to the engineers... Hector favoured marketability over performance and created the Phenom... He wanted native quad-core and etc. Most thought him delirious but since AMD had done so well...

Hector listened too much to the marketeers, not the engineers... Marketeers just want things bought because of high numbers or slick design or high tech stuff your never gonna use...

This was the downfall of Netburst as well...

It's only natural for this mistake...

Hopefully Dirk will keep his engineer's mind... then come up with a similar approach as what the graphics sector is doing... a really cheap small die which matches the competitor's ones... then add a MCM approach similar to Crossfire...

I'd say really energy efficient high clocking dual... MCM them and stick a HT on each of the processors...
July 18, 2008 3:17:31 PM

Reynod said:

Fire half of Hector's pets and performance manage the rest.
Take no prisoners.

That is actually good advice.
July 18, 2008 3:19:19 PM

yomamafor1 said:
I agree that this Atom shortage does seem a little odd, but given that most major OEMs want a large shipment of Atom CPUs for their low-cost UMPCs. Just on top of my head, I can think of at least 6 OEMs with a lineup of UMPCs to offer (not to mention MIDs), and each would at least want 100,000 Atoms per quarter.
Nothing odd about it really, they just underestimated how high the demand was going to be. (Totally new market segment - who knows what demand will be?) It takes time and effort to correct such miscalculations and align production with demand. And your numbers...are way too low. :) 

Congrats and best wishes to Dirk. Hopefully he'll bring some exciting and innovative things to the table. The competition should be fun.

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *
July 18, 2008 4:49:14 PM

Thanks for the correction. I guess I was being overly conservative when estimating the number. :) 
July 18, 2008 5:39:18 PM

^Your sig... I love it :whistle: 
July 18, 2008 5:47:42 PM

homerdog said:
^Your sig... I love it :whistle: 

I laughed the first time. Now its just mindless propaganda.
No please Yoma, don't bomb me with benchmarks, i'm almost leaving work.
I only post during work time. It is nice, isn't it !!
July 18, 2008 5:54:11 PM

radnor said:
I laughed the first time. Now its just mindless propaganda.
No please Yoma, don't bomb me with benchmarks, i'm almost leaving work.
I only post during work time. It is nice, isn't it !!

All aboard the failcopter:

Hell, even a K8 dual is beating it, let alone an Intel dual.

2 Intel Cores are better than 3 AMD cores. So it's not propaganda, it's very good marketing, because it is true.
July 18, 2008 7:23:42 PM

2 Intel Cores are better than 3 AMD cores. So it's not propaganda, it's very good marketing, because it is true.

Factboy can't see a joke when its written right in front of him. Im at home, no more posting !!!! See ya monday !
July 18, 2008 9:09:13 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Like when I found out Superman was not real.....

Im sry...what was that? Please dont tell me this is true! lol

Best,

3Ball
July 19, 2008 6:05:37 AM

All aboard the failcopter:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4402/2f2b7d33c67842d3b52e202pn1.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7522/5700d446cabe4a3f83c471apx7.jpg

Hell, even a K8 dual is beating it, let alone an Intel dual.

There are a few problems with these benchmarks, and I'll prove it with my own system. 3dMark05 cpu test is mostly single threaded except for the last 2 tests, which are a dual threaded test, and a quad threaded test.

Super Pi is single threaded, at least according to my AMD PowerMon and Task manager. But, going by those benches, the added 200mhz core speed takes 4 seconds off the results. So if I get my phenom running at 3.2 like the 6400+ I wonder how much lower the time will be.

PCMark05 Memory bench is also single threaded. Meaning that it would benefit from the memory controller being set to ganged mode. Again, thats something that needs to be software switchable from windows, or a windows based bios control utility. But notice the difference that the extra 200Mhz on the IMC/NB makes, as well as the extra 200Mhz on the cores (8600 runs at 2.3ghz core, 1.8nb/imc/L3). Thats also the reason the 4400+ gets a better memory score, due to it's IMC running at it's core speed of 2.2ghz if I remember correct.

Note that my system is running all at stock settings, these are from the system on my sig. Won't be running any HDD benchies till I get the other 320gb drive in and set up a raid array.
July 19, 2008 7:14:28 AM

I never really liked hector ruiz anyways, good riddance to bad rubbish..
!