P5k-e Vista Wifi Acess Point = pulling out my hair!

xmotleyx

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Hello there,

I am looking for some help with an issue I am experiencing. I have never had this problem in the past, but since a reinstall of vista it has started. I am not well versed in networking and would appreciate some direction to a well documented beginners guide so I don't have to keep pulling my hair out searching in forums and websites as I have over the past week.

I have an Asus p5k-e wifi mobo (realtek rtl8187 onboard usb wireless) based computer with vista 64. I use the software included to setup my comuter as an access point. I use it for my notebook and wii to connect to. However, since the reinstall (& upgrade to sp2), I have been having problems. If I freshly install the drivers and software, I can intally connect to the interent with my notebook (XP). Shortly thereafter, the connection is lost. This has occurred with two different notebooks, so I know that it isn't the notebook. When the connection is lost, the gateway and some other addresses(?) are lost on the notebook. I just can't seem to figure out what is wrong on the vista computer that is causing this. If I remove the software and drivers for the wireless and reinstall, it works for a short time. I tried uninstalling my firewall (comodo) and just use windows firewall, but I still got the same problem.

Are there any suggestions our there?