ASUS Rampage Formula NB/SB Temperatures

ExistNY

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
What are normal temperatures? My northbridge, southbridge, and the mobo "system" all seem to be at 47-53c no matter how much or little stress I place on the board. Any ideas why this is the case? I attached the little fan to the NB, and that dropped the temp a couple degrees, but things still seem hot.

My System:
Lian Li PC-V1100 Plus II Case
Asus Rampage Formula
Q9450 (OC'd to act like a Q9550)
ASUS EAH4870 GPU
8GB Ram

I have 3 sata devices (2 CD/Blueray, and 1 HD).

Anyone have any ideas?

I have the ASUS Maximus Formula SE for many months. My temps are very close to yours, slightly better because I have excellent airflow across the MB to cool the chips. My ASUS MF SE is equipped from the factory with a watercooling solution built in to the MB heatsink. I don't need it. My temps are fne (like yours which is normal).

The only way you could get lower temps on those MB chips is do something like this.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080420040329687&board_id=1&model=Striker+II+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

twennywonn21

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Do you guys think this is something worth doing? I just bought the Asus rampage formula and I was wondering if I should do this.

Like OP posted, his NB temps range from 47-53 C which is normal. These temps are fine and are what you should expect with your board. I suppose if you are an extreme OC'er pushing your system to to it's limits, a mod like that might be in order. Otherwise try and insure your case has good airflow across the MB. I have great case airflow with the ASUS Maximus Formula Special Edition and have similar temps as OP. My board is notorious for high NB temps and my SE comes with a water cooled capable NB heatsink. With the airflow I have established, I hardly need water cooling to control the temps on my system. Looks like a useful Mod if your up to doing the work, but it's not necessary unless you are in a situation I mentioned.

jobertokotze

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I have the same problem... my MB temp is around 52degrees(@idle)...

I have done the NB & SB re-"pasting". Helped abit with the N/SB temps.

My friend has the same MB and his one reads normally(around 28 degrees). He has a crappier case and I have a nice high airflow CoolerMaster Storm Scout, which is designed for gr8 airflow. I'm beginning to wonder if my sensor might be funky...

Maybe some1 can shine some light??

Thx in advance
Joe

mgabriel

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I have Asus Rampage lll Formula, my n/s bridge readings are nb: 48c, sb: 45c.
The ambient is 28c. Is this normal?