strikex2

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Is there any reason that the ePOWER EP-550XPF 550W ATX12V can't power up a GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G paired up with a Q6600?

here is my problem, i've been having the new built won't boot stuck on black screen problem for about a week now. At first I thought it was the motherboard and the CPU but today i realized that its the PSU. I hooked up my 750W Antec SLI Ready PSU to the build and it worked fine, but it didn't with the ePOWER. (this build is for a friend)

Was there a minimal watt requirement for the Q6600 or the Gigabyte mobo that made it fail? Or do i just have a faulty PSU.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You should be embarrassed to use such a complete junk power supply in a build for a friend.

Throw that thing in the street and get a decent power supply.

Do yourself, and your friend, a favor and watch this video.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You should have chastised him and refused to build it until he got a good PSU.

At least you didn't pick it.

Show him the video and tell him to quickly pony up the cash for a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W. Yes it is much larger than he needs, of course depending on his video card etc., but it is a really good deal right now at Newegg. Don't delay because the sale will go away at any time, it's been on sale for a while.

Original Price: $159.99
You Save: $50.00
$109.99
($89.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

If he can't afford that, then post the full specs and we'll see if we can save you $20-$25.

Whatever you do, don't get a new PSU until you ask on the forums if it is any good, there is too much shiny junk out there.

strikex2

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
how can i tell if its cheap?

I've always been just kind of going with flow with those newegg reviews.

should i only be looking at 80plus?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
No, it's not that simple. You know if its junk primarily by reading reviews.

Unfortunately there are no good PSUs on sale for cheap right now. Isn't that always the way it is. This is the only one that I can find that is barely acceptable, and it's certainly not my first choice, but it beats most of the junk out there. It's made by Seasonic and I think it is a single rail which is a good thing, but it's not as good as the others that OEM Seasonics.

Antec True Power Trio TP3-550

I couldn't even find any quality 450W PSUs that match the price, and believe me I looked.

I hope your friend is poor and not just cheap because that 650TX is a really good deal on a quality PSU, and the difference in price is one cheap dinner.

If you want to go any cheaper right now, then your on your own. I looked for the cheapest PSU that I was even somewhat comfortable in recommending and you have it.

Maybe someone else has a good deal on a VX450 that I didn't see.