Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on my first build!

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2008 4:20:19 AM

This summer I have planned to build a new computer due to the current one being 3years old with no upgrades. I have done my fair share of research and plan to do a real cheap build ( Budget max is $600 ) but still have some horsepower for games. I need help pointing out possible bottlenecks and maybe bad picks for the equipment. Also if possible I wanted to buy the parts through out summer and assemble within 3-5 weeks. So I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what parts to buy first and what parts to buy last so I don't see a price drop and lose out even more money.

Case - Bought $50 ( Snagged it when it had free shipping :)  )
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

HDD - Not purchased $70 ( I dont need this much storage so a cheaper alternative would be nice )
Seagate Barracuda 320Gb

GPU - Not purchased $170 ( Great deal going on right now, its tempting to buy)
EVGA 8800gt

RAM - Not purchased $45 ( Cheap with good reviews)
G Skill 2gb kit

MOBO - Not purchased $90 ( Good overclocking abilitys )
Gigabyte Ds3l

CPU - Not purchased $80 ( Read about possible 3.Xghz overclocks)
Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz

PSU - no idea where to start and what power I will need

EXTRAS... None bought
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler $27

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

With all that so far total would run me $554.32 Including the already bought case and shipping, I will go a little over if I need too.

Thanks in advanced!

More about : advice build

June 4, 2008 4:40:31 AM

Looks like a great budget system,

For the PSU, I recommend the Antec Earthwatts 430w PSU on sale for the incredible price of only $40 AR including shipping. I normally llike a little stronger PSU but this is a real bargain. Quiet, well made, efficient and earth friendly, and cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

YOu would probably need to act quickly on this while it is still on sale.
Related resources
June 4, 2008 5:36:27 AM

get the Antec Trio 550w, thats definitely enough, i am running a similar rig right now with the same power supply but an older version. I have the E2160 running at 3.2GHZ + 24/7 and its holding up fine.
June 4, 2008 3:47:45 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
the 8800gt need a minimum of 400 watts and 22a on the 12v rails. that psu is cutting it a little close.
mybe this for the psu to give you a little head room for a more powerful GPU in the future.

Personally I good psu will last your for quite a few system builds. So if you plan on gradually upgrading or just want something future proof

I dont get the amps on the 12vrails thing, if you go to the specs the psu you picked only supplies 20amps, is 22amps just reccomended? Explain?
June 5, 2008 5:09:17 AM

The Earthwatts 430 has 34amps on 12v so it would be fine. The 500w Stealth Stream listed above is also a good PSU and a good buy, althougj it may not provide any more power on the 12v rail than the Earthwatts if using more than 50 watts power on the 3 and 5 volt rails because of the way the StealthStream is made.
!