Cloning a Hard Drive

Tjkjr

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I have 2 internal Hard Drives. A 640 gig western Digital HD with XP Home Edition installed. Partitioned into 2 almost equal partitions using G Parted. The second HD is a Western Digital 320 gig with Windows 7 Evaluation Copy(64 bit) installed. Partitioned with said Win 7 into 2 almost equal partions. In order to dual boot from the 640 gig HD, I would very much like to clone or copy the Win 7 system and files to the empty partition on the 640 gig HD. But before I do, I would like even more to copy or clone the XP Home Edition system and all it's files to the smaller empty partion on the 320 gig HD. So in affect, the 320 gig HD can act as a bootable backup HD for both my XP and Win 7 systems. Losing the XP Home Edition with all that's stored with it would be devastating. Any and all help to accomplish this will be sincerely appreciated.

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Acronis True Image 30 days trial downloadable at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ could help you accomplish the "cloning" and backing up you want to accomplish. Good luck ;)

Tjkjr

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

When I tryed to clone the Xp Partion to the smaller hard drives partition, acronis wanted to erase or delete the partition containing the Windows 7 system and wouldn't let me procede any further if I didn't let it. That's where I'm getting stuck.