Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion - Less Performance Than Expected?!

Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2008 8:28:35 AM

Here are my System specs: Am2 Athlon 4200 X2 @ 2.2 ghz(stock), Corsair XMS 2 - 2 GB DDR2 800 MHZ-6400(stock), xfx 9800 GTX 512 MB Ram 675-2200-1688(stock), M2N4 Sli Motherboard, 450 watt PSU don't know brand. (50 bucks back in late 06), Windows XP Service Pack 2, x64 bit edition. ( I think the version of windows I'm using is my problem if there is a problem to begin with.)

I had high hopes to run oblivion at high fps and have it looks amazing as well. I run the game at 1280x1024, Everything maxxed out with HDR On, no AA or Bloom. I currently get low of 12 fps-30-35 average outside, and during fighting outside.(in dungeons 35 fps when I'm fighting monsters and npcs) 62 fps max(mainly in dungeons not fighting anything). I have to say I honestly expected more performance. I currently use these mods: OOO v1.33, Natural Environments Mod, Get Wet Mod, operation optimization mod(suppose to significantly increase fps without sacrificing quality), streamline 3.0(suppose to have faster ram cleaning during the game to increase performance). I have patch 1.2 installed as well. Is there anything that I could do to fix my performance without sacrificing quality? Input is greatly appreciated.
July 18, 2008 8:44:04 AM

Your GPU is sure as hell good enough to run the game maxed.

I guess that would mean it would have to be your cpu.

Lets just say your GPU is out of your CPU's league LOL!
Related resources
July 18, 2008 8:55:57 AM

That could hardly be true though, Oblivion is a GPU based game. I honestly don't think that it's my CPU even though it is not that good compared to my GPU.
July 18, 2008 10:00:47 AM

I used to game on 2400x2 and yes it will be holding you back a little....not too bad, but a fair bit. I would advice that your try to OC....but i wouldn't do anything before you upgrade your PSU.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:26:21 AM

Chuck a tiny increment of voltage at the CPU and push the FBS up to 220 ... you might not have to increase the voltage at all.

11X200 = 2200
11X220 = 2420

See if the difference is felt in the games.

You can push it quite a bit further ... these seem to overclock quite well.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/373/1/

Here is a nice little overclocking guide from Legitreviews ... not bad.

They got just short of 3Ghz ... so you should be able to easily get it up to 2.6 or so If you want.

If that increases the performance playing your games enough then great.

You could get a 6000+ (2 X 1Mb cache) cpu really cheap if you don't want to tinker / overclock.

Note the 4200+ has the 2X512Kb cache ....

a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 1:29:34 PM

Here is the scoop on Oblivion. Its a great overall game. Great graphics (even till today and with the right mods even better graphics), great story and even more open ended gameplay than Crysis could shake Nomad at.

But here is the problem. It is very poorly optimized. I would suggest tuning down your view distance a bit as well to see if that helps along with the grass. From what I heard those are the two biggest FPS drainers on the game.

Man I haven't played that game in a while. Took me 90 hours to finish everything (and I mean everything including the main quests) and I still didn't explore the whole map. I also beat the expansion in another 10 hours. Its a time sucker I say.

As for mods, check out the "Pretty People" mod. It makes people look purdy.
July 18, 2008 5:02:59 PM

I have an E6750 and 2GB DDR2 800 mhz RAM and a 7600 GT and I have no problems playing oblivion the way you do at a similar res... odd.
July 19, 2008 8:35:13 AM

The thing is, I shouldn't have to sacrifice graphical quality with my set up at all. I want to play this game at max settings with mods without having any slow down, and I should effing be able to. So it's making me really mad. =/ And no real suggestions other than buying a new processor or overclocked(i cant oc my mobo isn't an ocing mobo really) I don't really know what the deal is because it should run perfectly....
July 19, 2008 9:50:53 AM

cymus why dont you find out what your bottleneck is first? Have you tried running cpu-z whilst playing? Because if your not completely loading the cpu, theres no point in buying another one. If you do load it and gameplay dies off after 100% load then its time for an upgrade. You have a good gpu, and if you want upgrade to a Q9450 and get some decent ram and a new psu.
July 20, 2008 3:59:15 AM

Check out this test AnandTech did with both an X2 4200+ and Oblivion...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=274...

Try using their in-game settings...

And see how your results compare with theirs...

Your graphics card is obviously better than what they used, but this test is still useful. If your performance is about the same as theirs or worse, it might say something about the mods, drivers and/or patches you are using.
July 20, 2008 5:34:13 AM

I did a fresh install with no mods, same exact performance as stated above. This is pretty much ****, I feel like I wasted my money. My system should run this game at max, no problems, everything on.. Ugh. Any other suggestions?
July 20, 2008 6:05:26 AM

You system should run Oblivion better...

Nevertheless, still try the AnandTech test I hyperlinked in my previous post (having the exact settings are key) and let me know how many frames you get in each of the three scenarios AnandTech performed. If the results are similar, you might be somewhat computer bound. While Oblivion relies on a strong graphics card, some environments, such as cities, are more computer bound than others (see link below).

July 20, 2008 6:47:39 AM

Here's a fun fact... I get THE SAME EXACT PERFORMANCE whether or not I have settings all the way high or all the way low, high to low resolutions, everything!!! WTF?! I max out at 60 fps and it will drop just like if I had the settings all the way to high. I'm starting to think my gfx card may need to be replaced or my cpu really is a pos for oblivion.
July 20, 2008 7:13:27 AM

I ran CPU-Z and it says my DRAM frequency is at 368.8 mhz and the timings table says my ram max bandwidth is at PC2-6400(400) mhz, on my ram box it says its suppose to run at 800 mhz and my motherboard is suppose to support up to 800 mhz frequency. my frequency for each ram chip says 270 and 400 according to cpu-z. I'm really confused about why it's running slower then it should be(if it is). In the bios I put my ram voltage to 1.9 but cpu-z only says my ram is running at 1.8v... Another question. Could my slow down ram affect my performance that much? If so, how do I fix this? I went into bios and put my ram frequency to 800 from auto and it still didn't change anything. I would upload the cpu-z pics but I don't know how to on here, still real new to this forum.
July 20, 2008 7:24:54 AM

Cymus said:
Here's a fun fact... I get THE SAME EXACT PERFORMANCE whether or not I have settings all the way high or all the way low, high to low resolutions, everything!!! WTF?! I max out at 60 fps and it will drop just like if I had the settings all the way to high. I'm starting to think my gfx card may need to be replaced or my cpu really is a pos for oblivion.

My dad had a similar problem with a game where no matter the settings it seemed to run near equally bad, he upgraded his CPU and bam problem solved.
July 20, 2008 12:08:16 PM

"I ran CPU-Z and it says my DRAM frequency is at 368.8 mhz ".......cymus is cpu-z telling you that you have the cores at max load? Also boot up task manager and find out what your ram is doing. Have you got a second monitor about to view your systems performance?

Unless you actually KNOW whats going on, theres no point in speculation right now.
July 20, 2008 2:26:55 PM

Cymus said:

Going with protokiller said, it sounds like the computer is the problem. Overclocking or a more powerful X2 should do the trick.
July 20, 2008 6:29:52 PM

Double check v-sync, but my money is on that proc. Getting the same FPS regardless of resolution and settings is either the v-sync setting or a CPU bottleneck. 2.2Ghz is crawling, especially for an x2. 2.6-3.0 is the sweet spot for Athlons these days, anything less and you are going to see significant slowdowns.
July 20, 2008 10:01:22 PM

As I said before, my E6750 gives me great performance considering my GPU. It might be your processor as mentioned, does it do this in any other game? I know Oblivion is one of the most GPU bound game on the market, so CPU should not make too much of a difference. My old 3200+ Athlon gave me similar performance with my old 7600 GT when it was new, so again I have no idea.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 20, 2008 11:44:41 PM

Cymus said:
The thing is, I shouldn't have to sacrifice graphical quality with my set up at all. I want to play this game at max settings with mods without having any slow down, and I should effing be able to. So it's making me really mad. =/ And no real suggestions other than buying a new processor or overclocked(i cant oc my mobo isn't an ocing mobo really) I don't really know what the deal is because it should run perfectly....

Quick thought, Have you tried any of the thirdparty patches? I remember reading that they were better and did more performance updates than the ones from Bethesda.

I had a ok experience with it and never had that bad FPS and that was on a P4 and X850XT. But as I said the grass and the view distance were the main killers so I turned them down a bit and got pretty good FPS after that.
July 21, 2008 2:19:51 AM

nice little low tech way to see if you cpu could be the bottleneck. Open the task manager to the performance section to see your cpu usage, then stretch out the window to see more of the graph. Play the game how ever you want, then quit and see how hard the cpu worked. When i did this i found it was maxed out on 100% the whole time. 64 athlon 3400+ working with geforce 6200. Youd kinda think with my crappy setup it would be the gpu holding me back, but its not.
July 21, 2008 7:39:44 AM

Problem Solved. Vertical Sync was the problem, good job B-Unit for thinking outside the box.. I obviously didn't. My new fps with everything max, hdr on and AA 16xQ - No less than 20 outside for a short bit, then jumps back up to 30-35 solid but gets upwards to 40-50. When I immediately entered a dungeon my fps shot up in the 100s, no less than 30-40 inside the dungeons, pretty much averaged around 50-60 fps. I'm not sure if my cpu could still be bottlenecking the gpu, but, this is one hell of a fix. Thank you all for being so patient and throwing ideas back to me that I couldn't have thought of myself. I'm using the mod Operation Optimization, official 1.2 patch, streamline patch, jarrods texture mod. Any suggestions to get a solid 60 fps locked without really sacrificing visual quality please get back to me.
July 21, 2008 12:03:07 PM

v-sync kills ya know?

but thats lame, my 9600gt+q6000 @ 3.0ghz stays @ 50fps (1440x900, my observation with fraps on) most of the time, outside/inside/otherside/darkside/whateverside...considering you have a 9800gtx there, something is choking something.
July 28, 2008 6:34:05 AM

=/ bump
July 28, 2008 10:46:35 AM

hmm u said oblivion is a GPU based game....but it has HAVOK on it = physics = cpu.... anyhows i got an E4400 @ 2.1GHz and a 7600GS (overclocked 50% but still lol...) and i play oblivion 1440x900 maxed HDR with natural environments etc but not OOO... so err stuffed if i know what ur problem is...
July 28, 2008 5:21:31 PM

Do you have the dual core optimizer installed from AMD? Not to mention Xp64 is a bit froggy on performance as it is right now, mostly due to poor driver support. Also which cpu driver version are you using?
a c 127 à CPUs
July 28, 2008 5:30:11 PM

20FPS...... man that hurts for that setup. If only Bethesda would work on the patches and make a decent one. Or they could update the Havok engine. Maybe it would be for the better.
July 31, 2008 6:55:54 PM

I played about 90 hours of oblivion on the 360. I have the PC version but never got into it due to lack of support for gamepads. Not to hijack your thread but can anyone tell me was Oblivion for the PC ever patched to make full use of a gamepad (xbox 360 pad) or is it still necessary to use 3rd party software to get things functioning correctly....

and before anyone points it out, yes I know playing a First Person game with a gamepad is not as efficient as a mouse and keyboard but oblivion isn't exactly a fast paced shooter...
August 1, 2008 5:21:37 AM

I dont know if you have them but you should look into the unofficial oblivion updates, i know they fix all kinds of glitches. Idk if it would help performance at all tho. As for the processor being used in Oblivion... I have an e8400 at stock speeds that runs around 2/3 to 3/4 speed on both cores constantly matched up with a radeon 4850. Idk if either is really working all out, but as you can see, even a really good dual core has to work pretty hard for this game.
a c 127 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 5:23:20 AM

^even a really good quad core gets a workout. Oblivion is a beast.
!